• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did Trump insult widow of Niger GI?

This whole situation is nauseating.

All he had to do was take the high road. If he had come out and - right or wrong - immediately expressed regret for any misunderstanding and poor communication and extended an olive branch.

It's the whole thing your Dad teaches you about being a man when you are a kid. Always show deference to women in situations like that, let alone to grieving widows. Take the punches whether you deserve them or not, give her some dignity.

President or not, this fucking asshole has no inkling of what it means to be a man.

I hear this a lot from the olds around me. I'll bet I have heard "I don't understand why they just don't open the mills back up. We had a lot of power then and made lots of great things happens for the community". Another goodie is "Yep, I really think the end of the world is close. They talk about this a lot at my church and I feel its coming sooner rather than later with all the phones and tech gizmos".

What "old" around here said anything like that?

I hear this a lot from the olds around me. I'll bet I have heard "I don't understand why they just don't open the mills back up. We had a lot of power then and made lots of great things happens for the community". Another goodie is "Yep, I really think the end of the world is close. They talk about this a lot at my church and I feel its coming sooner rather than later with all the phones and tech gizmos".

When you have been told lies and economic theoreticals and predictions as facts, and then they don't come true, this is what happens.

All he had to do was take the high road. If he had come out and - right or wrong - immediately expressed regret for any misunderstanding and poor communication and extended an olive branch.

It's the whole thing your Dad teaches you about being a man when you are a kid. Always show deference to women in situations like that, let alone to grieving widows. Take the punches whether you deserve them or not, give her some dignity.

President or not, this fucking asshole has no inkling of what it means to be a man.

100% agree.

The media is doing its job. This story was created by Trump's lies about Obama and about Trump's own actions that didn't happen. Trump's attacks on Rep. Wilson kept it going. Then Trump lied about making calls. After which he had Kelly lie to the press. Now Trump is calling the widow of a fallen hero a liar.

The press has a duty to tell the story. POTUS used to have a duty to tell the truth in these situations and not to attack Gold Star families.

This was created, prolonged, expanded and exploited by Trump. It's all on him.

The media is doing its job. This story was created by Trump's lies about Obama and about Trump's own actions that didn't happen. Trump's attacks on Rep. Wilson kept it going. Then Trump lied about making calls. After which he had Kelly lie to the press. Now Trump is calling the widow of a fallen hero a liar.

The press has a duty to tell the story. POTUS used to have a duty to tell the truth in these situations and not to attack Gold Star families.

This was created, prolonged, expanded and exploited by Trump. It's all on him.

The idiots that line up behind Trump are so hypocritical especially the Evangelicals.

Just this morning Chuck Todd on Meet the Press, while discussing the growing civil war in the GOP, compared two counties that he said defined "Trump Country" and "GOP Establishment Country." The typical GOP Establishment Country was Delaware County, Ohio, (in the suburbs of Columbus, Ohio), and the "Heart of Trump Country" was - Wilkes County, NC. Todd cited statistics showing the difference - Wilkes has a poverty rate of nearly 20%, an average annual income of just $33,000, and only 13% of the county's adults have a college degree, while Delaware County residents have a 4% poverty rate, an annual income of $92,000, and some 52% of adults are college-educated. Also, half of Wilkes County residents are Evangelical Christians, only 7% of Delaware County's residents are. Wilkes County is losing population, while Delaware County is gaining. If Wilkes is typical of Trump Country (and statistically it is, which is why Meet the Press showcased it), it's rather hard to argue that Trump Country represents the future of America demographically or economically, or represents the current prosperity of the nation. I also thought the comment from a fundamentalist Baptist preacher in Wilkes perfectly stated the main force that's driving Trump voters - "The people who were born here (Wilkes) love America. They remember a different America, and he's (Trump) promising to bring that back." What's driving Trump's base, I think, are mostly older, white, rural, native-born people who fundamentally hate living in 21st Century America. They are desperate to go back - to when their little towns still had easy factory jobs that didn't require college degrees or technical knowledge, when the only two racial groups they knew were dominant whites who were born and raised in these little places, and a small minority of blacks who "knew their place." Nearly every "decent" person went to the local Baptist or Evangelical church, and the only tech you needed to know was tuning your TV set to the local TV stations. These people despise and feel very uncomfortable living in Modern America, feel left behind, and see Trump as the guy who will turn the clock back for them. It's not possible, of course, and is an illusion, but they're clinging to it. How the Democrats are supposed to appeal to that base, which is steadily shrinking in size, while protecting the rights of all those minorities who have benefited from the social progress of the last half-century, and maintaining their current voting base which is growing in size demographically every year, is a real challenge. Trump's election may eventually be seen by historians not as the harbinger of something new, but rather as the last hurrah of a dying (literally) voting bloc - white, rural, native-born, religious fundamentalist culture.

Here's the NBC News article: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/two-counties-defining-battle-lines-gop-s-civil-war-n812516

The Democrats have no hope of getting back Wilkes County, NC. Trust me on this.

They need to focus on the Upper Midwest. There are still plenty of union members or at least union families up there, the manufacturing base hasn't completely vanished (as the textile business has in Wilkes County), not quite as much rabid racism, somewhat more education, there is still an appreciation that government can do something good for people, etc. Trump won the upper midwest because the Clintons have been in the forefront of globalism and making it as easy as possible to send those manufacturing jobs elsewhere, while failing to enact any policies to help those left behind. They couldn't stand to vote for a Clinton, and here's this other guy promising to make everything great again.

Any energy the Dems spend on rural NC is probably wasted. Better off focusing on GOTV efforts in NC urban centers.

I could be wrong, but I think Highland's point is not to say that Dems should focus on the Wilkes County, NC's, but the fact that it is going to be impossible to ever win that. They need to focus on winning over county's like Delaware County. Like it or not, the Wilkes Counties of the USA are going by the wayside and will eventually die out.

It's incredible to me that the presidency and the media are in such a sad state that this story has dominated the news cycle for 5 days running.

Seriously. All he has to do is say I am sorry that I kind of messed up that phone call and it would be over.

Last edited:
Stater of the obvious here, but thin skinned Trump can never admit when wrong and will lie to the end before admitting it.

He must have been a hell of a role model growing up for his kids.

It's incredible to me that the presidency and the media are in such a sad state that this story has dominated the news cycle for 5 days running.

It's an ongoing cycle.

The Trump administration screws up or there's news about how they screwed up.

Trump tweets or does something that should be embarrassing but panders to his base.

Liberal websites hop on the tweet in outrage. Conservative media hop to Trump's defense.

WaPo and a few other news organizations keep working on the real story. CNN and the like focus on reactions to the distraction.

Rinse and repeat.

Stater of the obvious here, but thin skinned Trump can never admit when wrong and will lie to the end before admitting it.

He must have been a hell of a role model growing up for his kids.

Remember when he said he never had to ask God for forgiveness because he doesn't do anything wrong? Evangelicals ate that up.

Remember when he said he never had to ask God for forgiveness because he doesn't do anything wrong? Evangelicals ate that up.

Haha oh man...completely forgot about this one. Might need to put this up on the religious hypocrisy thread.

I could be wrong, but I think Highland's point is not to say that Dems should focus on the Wilkes County, NC's, but the fact that it is going to be impossible to ever win that. They need to focus on winning over county's like Delaware County. Like it or not, the Wilkes Counties of the USA are going by the wayside and will eventually die out.

Correct. Sorry for any confusion. I grew up in rural western NC, and places like Wilkes are hopeless for modern Democrats for cultural, demographic and religious reasons alone. The best Democrats can hope for is to cut Trump's 76% of the vote to maybe 70% or 67% with some very hard grassroots work. Places like Wilkes aren't the future of the state or nation anyway - they're losing population and struggling or dying economically. However, the Democrats can hope to gain votes in places like Delaware County, which are still growing, have strong economies that could be hurt by Trumpism's anti-free trade policies, and are more diverse racially, religiously, and culturally. Those are the places where the Dems might score significant gains if they actually concentrated on a strong grassroots effort. Rural America is lost, at least for the next few decades, I think. Suburban America, not so much.

Amazing instincts has our CIC.

When asked why no comment on the Niger attack/killings, all he had to say was..."we're investigating; It's a terrible thing to lose any of our honorably serving troops. My heart and the heart of all Americans goes out to their families." Or some such thing.

Then, when his attempt to console went awry, all he had to do was say..."I'm so sorry if my words were poorly chosen or misunderstood. I only desire to try to offer condolences to the family and express tremendous appreciation for their sacrifice and loss." Or some such thing. Except these kinds of statements require some ordinary human decency and empathy.

It's demanded of football players (who aren't even protesting soldiers and in many cases are vets) but not of the CIC.

So are any of our friends on the right going to admit any of the following?

1) General Kelly was absolutely wrong in his description of Rep. Wilson as it relates to her speech about the FBI building;
2) The White House has repeatedly lied about the fact that General Kelly was wrong, despite their being an actual video proving otherwise;
3) Rep. Wilson gave an accurate description of President Trump's words, despite the President lying on Twitter and stating otherwise;
4) Sgt. Johnson's widow was actually hurt by how the President handled the call.

Anybody? I mean, I know that pissing off people who care is more important that the facts, but we can at least agree on all these, can't we?

Back