• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diplomacy

After this one Damo we can chat. An army/fleet cannot support itself anywhere.

Bump. Related: a fleet cannot support a territory that isn't touching a body of water. Similarly, if you have two territories touching and want one to support the other to hold, the other has to have a hold order issued. If you attack with the second country then the support order does not correspond.

The fleet in Brest has had a tough two and half years:

The campaign began auspiciously enough in the Spring of 1901 as the French navy sought to conquer all foes. The head of the fleet got a bit turned around and attempted to take the ship inland from the English Channel into Paris, but after a few months realized it couldn't and made it back to its point of origin. Hopes were high in the Fall of 1901 when Brest set out to take over the Mid-Atlantic Ocean - perhaps attempting to grab some spices from the West Indies before turning back and battling the British fleet out on the high seas. Unfortunately the head of the fleet again got a little overwhelmed and attempted to aid his own ship into the Mid-Atlantic, causing mass panic and leaving the ship at its point of origin a year after the war began.

1902 saw the odds turn slightly in France's favor as it appeared the fleet from Brest would finally break out into the open water. The move into the channel was, however, met by a sly move into the English Channel from the North Sea for the British and after a few months both ships retreated back to their previous location. The fall of 1902 saw the admiral fall back into his old funk though as he again got lost and attempted to guide the fleet back inland towards Paris. After realizing he had gone the same route just 18 months earlier, he decided to get back to his point of origin for the fourth consecutive time.

In 1903 the French had hopes of finally getting the fleet out of Brest, but again things turned sour. The admiral thought he had the directions right this time, but after two months realized that he was yet again attempting to guide his ship inland towards Paris. Parisians shouted loudly in an attempt to turn the fleet around and put it into the English Channel in an attempt to spread out the French empire, but it was too late: the fleet again was headed to Paris. Ashamed, the admiral admitted he had fallen short of the task again and slowly sailed back into the Brest harbor which was now a home away from home for these beleaguered French seamen.

Le Monde and L'Express issued a rare joint statement in June of 1903, running simultaneous headlines that read simply: "Brest Fleet: Ships Cannot Sail On Land"

Gooner is a bold man stabbing his ally then no showing the build phase

Gooner is a bold man stabbing his ally then no showing the build phase

This is why you don't play two games at once. I got confused on which game I needed to do and just missed the whole thing.

I'm fine starting another game with all active players if there's interest

Oh and do that random thing, that sound fun and definitely chnages things up

No worries - I'm just giving you a hard time, but after the game this can be a good teaching lesson and you'll be geared up and ready to go next one as well.

Any of you folks ever considered participating in Dixiecon in Chapel hill on the 27th? This is its 30th year for Diplomacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people were interested after these first couple games wind down, I think it could be fun to have a tournament with some consistent players. Randomly draw countries and have it be anonymous - figure out a scoring system for each game (place of finish, supply centers, etc.) Each game could go to conclusion or have a set end date. I would be willing to organize it and keep track of things. Obviously would want it to be active players and each player could get a pause phase throughout if it were a long-term thing. Would there be any interest?

If people were interested after these first couple games wind down, I think it could be fun to have a tournament with some consistent players. Randomly draw countries and have it be anonymous - figure out a scoring system for each game (place of finish, supply centers, etc.) Each game could go to conclusion or have a set end date. I would be willing to organize it and keep track of things. Obviously would want it to be active players and each player could get a pause phase throughout if it were a long-term thing. Would there be any interest?

Absolutely

Hopefully there aren't any more server moves that make a round last multiple days during the week, sounds fun

Havent had any server issues besides the planned event last weekend. Just players going AFK mid game

Waiting the full 24 hours every turn because Italy isn't submitting orders is really annoying. For the love of god will someone just go ransack the boot so we can get on with it? Damo's putting forth a solid effort.

It's fun but we can barely get games let alone a tourney.

Back