• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disabled Canadian denied entry, DHS cited her "private" health records as reason

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Disabled Canadian denied entry, DHS cited her "private" health records as reason

How did the US have her private medical info?
“I was turned away, I was told, because I had a hospitalization in the summer of 2012 for clinical depression,’’ said Richardson, who is a paraplegic and set up her cruise in collaboration with a March of Dimes group of about 12 others.

The Weston woman was told by the U.S. agent she would have to get “medical clearance’’ and be examined by one of only three doctors in Toronto whose assessments are accepted by Homeland Security. She was given their names and told a call to her psychiatrist “would not suffice.’’

At the time, Richardson said, she was so shocked and devastated by what was going on, she wasn’t thinking about how U.S. authorities could access her supposedly private medical information.

“I was so aghast. I was saying, ‘I don’t understand this. What is the problem?’ I was so looking forward to getting away . . . I’d even brought a little string of Christmas lights I was going to string up in the cabin. . . . It’s not like I can just book again right away,’’ she said, referring to the time and planning that goes into taking a trip as a disabled person.
The agent gave her a signed document which stated that “system checks’’ had found she “had a medical episode in June 2012’’ and that because of the “mental illness episode’’ she would need a medical evaluation before being accepted.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection media spokeswoman Jenny Burke said that due to privacy laws, “the department is prohibited from discussing specific cases.’’

MP Mike Sullivan said what has happened to his constituent is “enormously troubling. . . . How did U.S. agents get her personal medical information?’’
“The incident in 2012 was hospitalization for depression. Police were not involved,’’ McGhee said. “I’ve asked Deb Matthews to tell me if she’s aware of any provincial or federal authority to allow U.S. authorities to have access to our medical records. Medical records are supposed to be strictly confidential. ’’

U.S. authorities “do not have access to medical or other health records for Ontarians travelling to the U.S.,’’ said health ministry spokeswoman Joanne Woodward Fraser, adding the ministry could not provide any additional information.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/28/disabled_woman_denied_entry_to_us_after_agent_cites_supposedly_private_medical_details.html

Maybe she should have just tried to get a gun in the states.

There is 0.00000% chance that story is true, unless she's the only Canadian with a health issue that has attempted to enter the US since the summer of 2012...which would sort of be testament to the efficacy of nationalized healthcare but whateve...I fully expect to hear this fable on Monday.

There is 0.00000% chance that story is true, unless she's the only Canadian with a health issue that has attempted to enter the US since the summer of 2012...which would sort of be testament to the efficacy of nationalized healthcare but whateve...I fully expect to hear this fable on Monday.

It crossed my mind she might be full of shit but the article states this:
The agent gave her a signed document which stated that “system checks’’ had found she “had a medical episode in June 2012’’ and that because of the “mental illness episode’’ she would need a medical evaluation before being accepted.
I'll be very surprised if she was able to get a member of parliament and a lawyer to take this seriously and had nothing to back it up.

So if it's true, how did DHS have her medical info? Is there some sort of private agreement with Canada or does DHS have access to Canadian's medical records via NSA spying or...

So if it's true, how did DHS have her medical info? Is there some sort of private agreement with Canada or does DHS have access to Canadian's medical records via NSA spying or...

Of all the international travelers in the last year, she's the one whose medical info. got hacked? I'm sure we have it somewhere btw, but I'm also sure we didn't bust out our capabilities to deny a quadriplegic Canadian access to the country over a mental health visit the previous year.

You WANT this to be true.

This makes as much sense the girl who Obama's campaign people branded her face.

Of all the international travelers in the last year, she's the one whose medical info. got hacked? I'm sure we have it somewhere btw, but I'm also sure we didn't bust out our capabilities to deny a quadriplegic Canadian access to the country over a mental health visit the previous year.

So you now think the story is true? If it's true it suggests DHS has a database of what is supposed to be private medical info for Canadians, correct? How do you think DHS acquired it?

I want what to be true? The reporter says the lady has documentation from DHS, the article quotes from it, and she has a Canadian member of parliament and her lawyer trying to figure out how DHS knew about her hospital visit in 2012. It could still be bs but it's likely she was turned away and the documentation from DHS is legit. So if she's telling the truth, and I think it's likely she is, one of the questions should be, how did DHS get what was supposed to be private medical info? Is there a secret agreement with Canada, did they buy it from someone, did they steal it from somewhere...Why are you so convinced it's not true?

For you to suggest this is a hoax implies you think the DHS document which seems to have convinced a reporter, member of parliament, and her lawyer is fake. Why would she create a fake document and lose all that money she had already paid to take a trip? Again, you never know, she could be lying, but I think it's likely she's telling the truth and the DHS document is legit. If it is, you then have to ask how DHS knew about the 2012 hospital visit.

The same reason the girl in Pittsburgh cut her own face. The same reason people lie about tips on crimes or confess things they didn't do. The same reason people said they had "proof" Obama said he was Kenyan.

We have either had any of the alleged documents or that they were real.

Why don't I think it's real? Because it makes no sense on any level. Why just this woman? Who is she? What are her politics?

You want this to be true. It follows your positions for the past year or so.

So you now think the story is true? If it's true it suggests DHS has a database of what is supposed to be private medical info for Canadians, correct? How do you think DHS acquired it?

No I think the story is complete bullshit. Hypothetically, anything is possible. And saying her lawyer, and a politician, who for all we know is Ted Cruzish doesn't make her story more plausible.

The same reason the girl in Pittsburgh cut her own face. The same reason people lie about tips on crimes or confess things they didn't do. The same reason people said they had "proof" Obama said he was Kenyan.

We have either had any of the alleged documents or that they were real.

Of course it could all be a hoax and she decided to lose thousands on a trip she says she was desperate to take and she also spent the time and money necessary to fabricate a fake DHS document convincing enough to fool her lawyer, a member of parliament, and a reporter for Canada's largest newspaper. But I think that's an unreasonable position to take. We should remain skeptical, but not be dogmatic about it.

Why don't I think it's real? Because it makes no sense on any level. Why just this woman? Who is she? What are her politics?
It makes no sense that the US would want to deny entry to people who have had a physical or mental disorder that may pose a “threat to the property, safety or welfare’’ of themselves or others (Section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, mentioned in the article)? I think it could be argued that makes sense on some level. And of course we can't say this woman is the only person this has happened to- she might just be the first we've heard about. In fact, in the comments another person said the same thing happened to them:
I was the victim of the exact same thing in 2008. I was coming from Toronto and going to see my sister in Miami for a week. I have previous hospitalizations for mental health problems....depression, suicide attempts, severe eating disorder. I didn't even think of it when i was booking my flight...I had no idea that my past issues would make it impossible to cross into the states. I was absolutely devastated...and since then have never wanted to attempt to go back to the US. They told me the exact same thing...my psychiatrist wouldn't suffice....i had to get one of "their" doctors to clear me ($500 later...), as someone who was on disability at the time i couldn't afford that and the whole ordeal just made me feel so awful, sent me back into a severe depression. i didn't even get my money from the flight back. Really was one of the worst experiences of my life.

You want this to be true. It follows your positions for the past year or so.

You could not be more wrong. I'm open to the possibility that this is all some elaborate hoax, though I think that's a odd position to take. And I'm not particularly concerned if DHS has access to the health care information of Canadians. I'm much more concerned about the privacy concerns of my fellow Americans. I just asked the question, if DHS has the woman's private medical info, and it looks like they do, how did they get it? My guess would be there is a secret agreement with the Canadian government that provides access to a central database with the health care information of Canadians.

No I think the story is complete bullshit. Hypothetically, anything is possible. And saying her lawyer, and a politician, who for all we know is Ted Cruzish doesn't make her story more plausible.

You stated, "I'm sure we have it somewhere btw"- what were you trying to say? I figured you were referring to DHS having her medical info. If you don't believe that then you believe she created a convincing DHS document that has managed to fool the journalist, mp, and lawyer? And she spent thousands on a trip she didn't want to take? It's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

and a politician, who for all we know is Ted Cruzish doesn't make her story more plausible.

In Canada it's the right wing Ted Cruzish politicians that are most likely to defend things like the NSA and privacy violations- perhaps because a conservative is in power. The politicians who tend to be outraged are those on the left. Kind of the opposite of here, where Democrats are now the ones most in favor of NSA spying.

You stated, "I'm sure we have it somewhere btw"- what were you trying to say? I figured you were referring to DHS having her medical info. If you don't believe that then you believe she created a convincing DHS document that has managed to fool the journalist, mp, and lawyer? And she spent thousands on a trip she didn't want to take? It's possible, but I think it's unlikely.

I'm sure we have the ability to access a Canadians' medical history if we want to. Seriously, just say this out loud to yourself:

I believe a secret government agreement between Canada and the US is providing access to a central database compiled by the NSA's spying has only felt it necessary to flag this quadriplegic's mental health visit to deny someone's entrance to this country based on having seen a doctor. This is true because a politician, a lawyer, and some until now unknown "document" proves her story.

Or, she's lying.

Last edited:
In Canada it's the right wing Ted Cruzish politicians that are most likely to defend things like the NSA and privacy violations- perhaps because a conservative is in power. The politicians who tend to be outraged are those on the left. Kind of the opposite of here, where Democrats are now the ones most in favor of NSA spying.

It's not the political leanings of said politician. It's the crazy, self-serving, I'll say anything to keep my job leanings of all politicians.

I'm sure we have the ability to access a Canadians' medical history if we want to. Seriously, just say this out loud to yourself:

I believe a secret government agreement between Canada and the US is providing access to a central database compiled by the NSA's spying
You've badly misrepresented my position but here goes: if there is a central database that DHS had access to, I suspect it was compiled by the Canadian government as part of their health care system. So no NSA hacking required, in fact, no NSA involvement at all. And of course I mentioned this was just a guess on my part. There are countless ways we could get this data.
has only felt it necessary to flag this quadriplegic's mental health visit to deny someone's entrance to this country based on having seen a doctor.
And of course we don't know if this is the only person this has happened to. This might just be the first we've heard about. As I noted above, someone else in the comments recounts a similar story.
This is true because a politician, a lawyer, and some until now unknown "document" proves her story.
No. I think it's likely true for a number of reasons.

Or, she's lying.
I'll continue to follow this story. If it turns out to be a hoax I'll be sure to post that. I'm open to that possibility. Though I think it's unlikely.

bob hasn't asked the most operative questions; who is this woman? Does she have an agenda? Who is the person who reported it? Does that person have an agenda?

Orly Taitz had "eyewitness proof" that Obama was born in Kenya. What motive did a poor Kenyan woman have?

Let's go back to the woman in Pittsburgh. Every national network reported her "story".

Without knowing anything about this person or anything about the writer or the alleged border people involved, I have no reason to believe it. If you think at all logically, why haven't we heard about this with anyone else? Tens of millions cross our borders every year, yet she's the only one? It makes no sense.

BSF, you immediately believe anything negative you hear about this.

If it's not the hoax that rj and ONW believe it to be, this might be the reason why DHS had her info:
Sadly, it happens a lot, says lawyer Barry Swardon, who says he has given advice to “many people who have had a similar problem.” One of those was Ontario woman Lois Kamenitz, 64, who was not allowed to get on a flight at Pearson Airport in 2011 because border authorities had accessed information about her suicide attempt years earlier.

Unfortunately, “you can’t fight a foreign government” legally, said Swardon. He said once information is fed into computer systems that track interactions with police, even non-criminal matters can end up being documented in the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC ) database. The RCMP manages the database and shares it with the FBI in the United States.

“There should be a tightening of the legislation” so that health information is not shared with U.S. authorities in cases where there are no criminal charges, Swardon said.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/29/access_to_canadian_health_files_by_us_border_agency_sparks_demands_for_inquiries.html

Back