• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Discussion

What? That doesn't make any sense. The narrative is that the entire offense improved and Hinton is as capable as Wolford of improving with it. How is that incapable with the narrative that Hinton is as good as Wolford?

Stop the sophistry, Ph. You're accusing people of not believing that Hinton will seamlessly pick up where Wolford left off because you always believed and still believe that Kendall was tiers better than Wolford. It is natural for people to doubt that a QB replacement, whatever his experience and talents, will continue a program's victorious ways especially when he has a notably different skill set from the QB he's replacing. You refuse to accept that and continue to press on suggesting some innate bias against KH that simply doesn't exist. But please, continue your crusade...

I missed this. This is exactly the point I’m making. It’s unreasonable to think Hinton can’t improve with improved personnel and coaches like Wolford improved with improved personnel and coaches.

To believe Hinton can’t improve suggests Wolford is some type of QB savant or Hinton is somehow deficient.

Because that's not the narrative he's held throughout the Hinton-Wolford debate and what he's insinuating now. I don't think it's profitable to pursue on the board, really, because as has been said no one is actually doing what he is asserting they're doing. I think people understand this point and if anyone wishes to try to fish out past comments on this they're welcome to try, but I surely don't have the inclination to do it. Those that agree will agree, those that don't, won't. I have no interest in trying to prove argument points on this board. It's always a waste of time that changes nothing.

Except that is the narrative he’s pursuing. He said that was the narrative he’s pursuing. Why are you being weird?

Except that is the narrative he’s pursuing. He said that was the narrative he’s pursuing. Why are you being weird?

Because Ph always engages in sophistry in his narratives and this is no exception. And for the record, I'm one who has said I expect Kendall to take the reins and lead the team exceptionally. You can check that out if you like.

Because Ph always engages in sophistry in his narratives and this is no exception. And for the record, I'm one who has said I expect Kendall to take the reins and lead the team exceptionally. You can check that out if you like.

SAT word used TWICE IN TWO POSTS!!!!!!!!!

Stop the sophistry, Ph. You're accusing people of not believing that Hinton will seamlessly pick up where Wolford left off because you always believed and still believe that Kendall was tiers better than Wolford. It is natural for people to doubt that a QB replacement, whatever his experience and talents, will continue a program's victorious ways especially when he has a notably different skill set from the QB he's replacing. You refuse to accept that and continue to press on suggesting some innate bias against KH that simply doesn't exist. But please, continue your crusade...

Whoa. I save the word "tiers" for special occasion. I welcome you to find posts where I claim Hinton is "tiers" better than Wolford. You won't find any. You will find posts where I say Wolford and Hinton are similar players and Hinton is younger and has more upside and deserves the opportunities to show what he can do.

I think people have forgotten Wolford's struggles. Hell, Clawson subbed in Hinton for him in our last game.

In other words, you're just making up things to help yourself feel better. I don't know why.

Hinton being good doesn’t mean that Wolford wasn’t.

Exactly. Somehow it's crazy talk to say two QBs with similar skill sets who have been competing against each other for the starting spot for three years will have similar production in the same offense.

It shouldn't be bad. We redshirted a number of linebackers we are mostly bullish on. Our defensive backfield will be full of 3 year starters and our DL, while losing both ends, has veterans who have contributed and a few redshirts, like Allen, we are all extremely bullish on as well. The question (IMO) is whether our DC is good enough. I do think Clawson will have that answer by February.

As frustrated as I have been by our defense, I think Clawson has played very pragmatically. For example, our run schemes in year 1 and year 2 were just atrocious but that was not a reflection of our OC but more the staff not wanting to run plays that our OL could not execute consistently. So I am hoping that Sawyel is not a bad DC for Wake and more we played soft in the secondary to protect our linebackers. Because I thought our corners were more than capable of playing tight coverage. Even more so next year. They are good and now they are also experienced.

Sawvel couldn't run the defense he wanted to run because the personnel wasn't there. He likes using 5 DB's in coverage with one hybrid pass/run stopper. Elko used the fifth secondary spot as a LB rover, which Sawvel had to do as well. Next year Sawvel will be able to use the fifth DB so our pass defense should get substantially better (think the short passes that our LB's couldn't get to before the huge YAC in the aTm game). Two much more athletic, side-to-side linenbackers to stop outside runs, and our Dline shouldn't see huge drop off from last year. Zeek, Kamara, Boogie, Mike Allen, Manny Walker, etc. is an exciting group to think about. I think our D will get much better this coming year.

Curious to see how we use LBs Strnad and Kemp in the nickel and who takes over that nickel spot.

This was a major transition year on the defense and special teams with the staff turnover. And it was a "put up or shut up" year on offense going into the post-Elrod era. It makes sense that the offense and defense will improve. Special teams is still a question mark with Weaver graduating.

Kenny Moore didn't play running back in 2006 until late in the season because all of our other backs were injured.

Correct, Moore made 5 of his 12 starts at RB that year, and accumulated 402 of his 507 rushing yards in those 5 games

Curious to see how we use LBs Strnad and Kemp in the nickel and who takes over that nickel spot.

This was a major transition year on the defense and special teams with the staff turnover. And it was a "put up or shut up" year on offense going into the post-Elrod era. It makes sense that the offense and defense will improve. Special teams is still a question mark with Weaver graduating.

I agree with all this. I'm really excited about Strnad, showed that he has the potential to be a star. Chase Monroe, DJ Taylor, Jeffrey Burley all have loads of potential. Also can't believe I forgot about DL Paris Black - dude could be a stud next year.

I'm really excited about Strnad. I think he'll be a very good LB for us.

DBs will be stout and a year older. Obviously need to replace 2 productive DE's. but I think overall, the defense improves if we can find a pass rusher. I think Dawson won't be hard to replace at all, and we get better in that spot. Jaboree was solid, but we have some good recruits there.

Exactly. Somehow it's crazy talk to say two QBs with similar skill sets who have been competing against each other for the starting spot for three years will have similar production in the same offense.

I think Hinton and Wolford are more different than similar. Hinton likes to run, and doesn't avoid contact. John was so good this year knowing where he was going with the ball, and being very accurate. It's hard to see a QB with Hinton's running ability make the quick reads like John did, when running is always an option. I think the offense looks different next year, with a lot more runs, setting up play action deep balls, rather than the quick passing game.

All that to say, I do think Hinton will be successful because of the experience and competition along with a veteran oline, great WRs and RBs. But his success will look different than John's.

Last edited:
Not very good IMO. But expected. 1:00 weekday game doesn't help.

A little down from a 2.2 for Georgia-TCU in the timeslot last year, but not too bad. I imagine more people were working this past Friday as opposed to last year too (since it was on the 30th)

Not very good IMO. But expected. 1:00 weekday game doesn't help.

I'd be curious about the ratings during the game. I suspect ratings were strong near the end of the game as people got home early for the long weekend and put it on. Probably decent viewership on the ESPN3 and the app as well.

Im team Deakfreak on this one. Think Hinton is getting lots of unnecessary flack.

Christian Kirk entering the draft after his very strong Belk Bowl performance. I'd be happy if the Panthers draft him.

We have not really seen Hinton play with a good OL. Looking forward to that next year. I think we are going to start 4 seniors and a junior on the OL.

I think Hinton just needs to figure out his decision making behind an OL that can actually pass protect.

Christian Kirk entering the draft after his very strong Belk Bowl performance. I'd be happy if the Panthers draft him.

Would make a lot of sense. McShay had him going #22 in his first mock

Back