• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disjointed Prognostications for the GOP

I believe that a winning portion of the electorate will vote for a tolerant, fiscally-conservative politician.

I think you are probably right, but I think GOP turnout depends on too much of a base that wants social conservatism.

I think you are probably right, but I think GOP turnout depends on too much of a base that wants social conservatism.

On what basis do you think that? Both sides both use social issues to stir up their followers to completely detract from the economy, but that doesn't mean if one didn't they wouldn't have success. Witness the first debate, with Romney just slaughtering Obama on everything but social issues, which is the only thing during this whole campaign which made people think this might actually be a race

But if you could replace bible thumpers with keg tappers, then you've got something.

#BeerParty #Hello2036 #VoteSoHard #IshSmithCray

We just might be outnumbered.

I concluded that last night on the election thread. The country has obviously moved left. However, I'm not convinced that more of mccain's supporters died in the last 4 years than new GOP voters were created.

The bible guys will stay home though.

Highly doubtful. These people also tend to think it's wrong of them not to vote, plus you'd still get a lot of them thinking Republicans are the social conservatives.

Plus really, how much social conservatism is actually happening with Republicans? Most people that vote for republicans as social conservatives are already highly disappointed with the party

Highly doubtful. These people also tend to think it's wrong of them not to vote, plus you'd still get a lot of them thinking Republicans are the social conservatives.

Plus really, how much social conservatism is actually happening with Republicans? Most people that vote for republicans as social conservatives are already highly disappointed with the party

It will be about the Supreme Court. That bed was made several campaigns ago.

If the GOP doesn't find anyone to stand up to the Tea Party, they are in trouble for years to come in national elections.

The Republican freaking out most this morning is Sheldon Adelson. Does he think the $50-100M he spent to beat Obama will be forgotten by the DOJ as they continue his Foreign Corrupt Practices Act case?

The Republican freaking out most this morning is Sheldon Adelson. Does he think the $50-100M he spent to beat Obama will be forgotten by the DOJ as they continue his Foreign Corrupt Practices Act case?

What about Linda McMahon?

Pubs have to shed the image that they are a party of white men. How? Start encouraging more blacks, latinos and women to run for public office. Of course, this means putting social issues on the back burner and telling the evangelicals that they have a right to their beliefs but not the right to force them on everyone else. Definition of freedom.

The country always moves to the "left" on social policies. It's progress that extreme RWs refuse to believe. When you have a candidate who wins 48% of the PV, that doesn't signal that the party has to majorly shift towards liberalism or else it will fail. We just need a level-headed progressive republican when it comes to social issues. I voted for Romney, and also voted for marriage equality and don't think there is anything contradictory about it.

At the end of the day, it was far too easy to paint Romney as a big time social conservative who didn't earn a lick of his success. It's not true, but that doesn't matter. This election was a hard one to win, and throwing a guy like Mitt out there who the majority viewed as someone who may be able to run a business, but knows nothing about the struggles of the working class, was flawed.

I think Republicans comfortably take the White House in 2016. It was obvious why a guy like Christie or Rubio held off on aligning themselves with Romney this year.

The Dow was down 486 points the day after Obama was elected four years ago........it closed at 9,139 that day.

Bob, you need to lighten up. You've taken multiple things I've said on the thread when I'm joking!

Back