• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney vacation - meal plan questions

Any time school starts back is pretty money. If anybody wants an estimate of the crowds when you plan to go I can look it up on the website I mentioned earlier.

When we went for my daughter's birthday, it was the end of April after Spring Break and it was perfect timing. Many of the big rides were no wait or less than 10 minutes, which was how long it took to walk all the way through the waiting area with no people in the way. Strangely enough, the longest wait was for Peter Pan, which was about 3 hours out on fast pass and 90 minutes for walk on.

I went once during Mardi Gras and no joke probably 60-70% of the people there were wearing Saints and/or LSU gear. I guess the all get the hell out of dodge for those few days.

When we went for my daughter's birthday, it was the end of April after Spring Break and it was perfect timing. Many of the big rides were no wait or less than 10 minutes, which was how long it took to walk all the way through the waiting area with no people in the way. Strangely enough, the longest wait was for Peter Pan, which was about 3 hours out on fast pass and 90 minutes for walk on.

For some reason Peter Pan always has a long line. You would think w/ continuous cars it wouldnt

For some reason Peter Pan always has a long line. You would think w/ continuous cars it wouldnt

Peter Pan has shitty throughput. Just rode it last month. The cars may be continuous, but we still had to wait at the front of the line for one. It just can't handle a lot of people.

Also I think FastPass slows the line down as well.

I went last year with my mom and sister and my mom had recently broke her foot but was in the last week of wearing the walking boot. she got some kind of handicapped card or something at an office right at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom. Basically allowed us to skip the line on every ride. "ma'am, there's a step up and you have to walk about 15 feet, is that ok?" it was awesome.

Buzz Lightyear has a long line usually too.

Not really. I've never seen it over 30 min, typically 15 or 20. It's probably one of the most consistent lines.

It was the second longest wait in the park last time I went.

Was that in the summer? I don't go there then.

But believe me, I go a lot and I've never see it over 30. The only consistently busy ride (45+ min) is Peter Pan. Dumbo used to be that busy, but now that they moved it and added a second Dumbo and nice waiting area, the lines don't get that high. Splash Mountain may be that busy during the hottest months. Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain get that busy sometimes, but they're surprisingly low much of the time. I've also seen Jungle Cruise and Winnie-the-Pooh get that busy in spots, but that's about it. Everything else is 5-15 minutes.

I'll be interested in seeing how the new Fantasyland expansion influences lines.

Any time school starts back is pretty money. If anybody wants an estimate of the crowds when you plan to go I can look it up on the website I mentioned earlier.

I was pretty surprised being there on weekdays in mid-September how many school-age kids were there. We were talking to one lady from Illinois who was there with her grandkids and they had missed the first two weeks of school being at Disney.

Got back yesterday. Here's what we ended up doing:

Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Liked it, not loved it, but it was good enough.
Went to Magic Kingdom day 1. Spent all day. Went to Naccossee's at Grand Floridian first night. Best meal of the trip. One of the best steaks I've EVER had.
Went to Epcot day 2. Was fun, but Epcot felt old to me. Test Track was good, didn't like Soarin'. Ate at Biergarten in Germany. WAS AWESOME. Went to Animal Kingdom in the afternoon - all we did was ride Expedition: Everest (but I'm not a fan of roller coasters in the dark, and this one was in the dark and backwards, so I only rode once). Went back to Epcot and ate at Hacienda de San Angel in Mexico for dinner. Really really good.
Went to Hollywood Studios day 3. My favorite park. Tower of Terror is as fun as advertised. Did all the shows, rides, stayed all day. Ate lunch at Sci-Fi Drive in Cafe. Didn't like it too much - too quiet and weird. Went to Downtown Disney in afternoon, changed Jiko reservation to go to Fulton's Crab House for lobster, ate like kings.
We saw the Electric Parade, fireworks at MK, the water show thing at Epcot, the parade at Hollywood. We did the Deluxe Dining Plan and I think it was a good idea, though we probably paid more to get it than it would be out of pocket. Does seem weird that it doesnt include tip, but whatever.
Trip was great, suggestions on here were spot on. Thanks everyone.

One thing I wish we did more before we had kids was to dine at some of the high end resort restaurants.

Booked dinner for two at Joki at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in April. Staying at the Polynesian.

Back