• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Will be in Orlando for training on Monday & Tuesday. Arriving Saturday night to hit up both Universal Studios properties with a colleague. Plan is to be at the US gate at opening, do Escape from Gringots, ride train to IoA, Hogwarts ride, then basically make our way through the rest of the parks. Does it make sense to hit HP areas first?

Yep, they only get worse as the day goes on in my experience.

We did our first Disney trip with our kids, age 6 and 9, over Christmas. Had a blast. Had one great customer service story to share: we were taking the Disney shuttle bus from our hotel (stayed at the art and animation hotel) and were about to to get off and head into magic kingdom. Someone at the front of the line blew chunks all over the exit to the bus, unbeknownst to us. Our six year was leading Us And stepped right in the puke and slipped and fell right into the mess. We got off the bus and the poor guy was covered in some strangers vomit. my wife took him into a bathroom and stripped him down to his underwear and washed his clothes in the sink. His clothes still reeked however so I was tasked to enter magic kingdom, find some replacement clothes and then come back and deliver to the bathroom. On my way, I asked a Disney customer service person where the quickest place to find some shorts for kids- it was 85 degrees in December- and I gave her a quick version of what happened since i thought it was kind of funny. She said, "stay right here" and came back with a voucher for a free t shirt and shorts at any gift shop. I never could find any shorts, so I bought pajamas and and my boy spent the whole day at magic kingdom rocking a free pair of Mickey pajamas.

We did our first Disney trip with our kids, age 6 and 9, over Christmas. Had a blast. Had one great customer service story to share: we were taking the Disney shuttle bus from our hotel (stayed at the art and animation hotel) and were about to to get off and head into magic kingdom. Someone at the front of the line blew chunks all over the exit to the bus, unbeknownst to us. Our six year was leading Us And stepped right in the puke and slipped and fell right into the mess. We got off the bus and the poor guy was covered in some strangers vomit. my wife took him into a bathroom and stripped him down to his underwear and washed his clothes in the sink. His clothes still reeked however so I was tasked to enter magic kingdom, find some replacement clothes and then come back and deliver to the bathroom. On my way, I asked a Disney customer service person where the quickest place to find some shorts for kids- it was 85 degrees in December- and I gave her a quick version of what happened since i thought it was kind of funny. She said, "stay right here" and came back with a voucher for a free t shirt and shorts at any gift shop. I never could find any shorts, so I bought pajamas and and my boy spent the whole day at magic kingdom rocking a free pair of Mickey pajamas.

this is gross and amazing.

Something similar happened to us as well. We were leaving Hollywood Studios with our 1.5 year old, then our only child, in the stroller. We took the side exit going towards the bathrooms and all of a sudden he threw up all over himself and the stroller. A cast member walked by, we explained what happened, and she nonchalantly got cleaning supplies and helped us clean everything up like it was no big deal.

Every time we pass those bathrooms, we think about how great she was helping us out.

Oh man, I've got some great vomit stories too, but they don't involve Disney World.

Well, I vomited in my mouth on Tuesday night around 9:15pm when a certain team that we all know and love snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. :tear:

Definitely kudos to Disney for the voucher, but a big WTF on the bus driver for not holding up everyone from exiting until he/she could clean up the mess or otherwise make the situation safe. If a person had slipped and been harmed (think old lady) Disney and their insurers get to write a big settlement check.

Hollywood Studios is debuting a new Star Wars nighttime spectacular in April.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...me-park-history/?CMP=SOC-FBPAGE20160219163000

Looks like a combination of Celebrate the Magic and Wishes at Magic Kingdom.

The Force will officially awaken at the park April 4, with the debut of the brand new Star Wars stage show, “Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away.” The new show will play out iconic moments from the film saga on Center Stage (in front of the Chinese Theater), and will feature appearances from Star Wars characters like Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, Darth Vader and Darth Maul.
Also starting April 4, Captain Phasma will begin leading a platoon of First Order stormtroopers on a march from Star Wars Launch Bay to Center Stage multiple times each day.

Going for the Food and Wine Half Marathon in November. We were last at Disney in January 2015. It's just going to be the wife and I this time.

We're going to have 2 park days. Is there any reason to make one of the Hollywood Studios yet? I don't think there's anything new there yet.

Any Food and Wine tips and tricks?

No reason to do Hollywood Studios yet unless you absolutely need to do Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, or the Star Wars Launch Bay and new Star Wars fireworks show. If those things are important to you (which is perfectly reasonable), do Hollywood Studios.

Do Animal Kingdom if you want to see the new night show Rivers of Light and the night time safari.

You've mastered the most important Food and Wine tip. Don't bring your kids. After that, it's basically just get there early and eat and drink as much as you want. If you have a budget or specific alcohol tolerance, know your limits. Don't bother booking a sit down meal on your Epcot day.

What's the Launch Bay? That's new to me.

My next Disney trip is definitely going to be during the food and wine festival. Did it 4 years ago and it was so much fun. We weren't prepared for the small plate/beer world tour setup last time, you have to budget time and money to take advantage of that.

What's the Launch Bay? That's new to me.

It's new in general. I think it opened in Feb. You can find a tour of it on YouTube. It's basically a Star Wars expo where the Magic of Disney Animation used to be.

The basic thing to know about Food and Wine is to not think in terms of lunch and dinner. Just pick a direction around World Showcase and start eating and drinking. It's a good time to just enjoy the pavilions, especially the minor attractions you may not pay attention to usually. Those are good stops to digest and relax between mini meals. Also, you'll spend a lot of money. You just will. Think of it as one long nice expensive meal.

And we have the race party from 8PM - 1AM. Dunno what all that entails. At $80 for a guest ticket, I hope it's nice.

No kids = drink (and eat) around the world at Epcot!

We do that with the kid too. Nothing beats wandering Epcot with a Trois Pistoles.

Ok - wandering Epcot with a Trois Pistoles and no kid is better.

And we have the race party from 8PM - 1AM. Dunno what all that entails. At $80 for a guest ticket, I hope it's nice.

When we did it the first year they started the race I think we each got two drink and two food tickets post-race. But for $80 for a guest I would hope it's more than that now...

Are you planning on take a mid-day nap on that Sunday? I ask because, unless you don't operate on much sleep now, you might want to plan on it for this event. While the race starts at 5:30 a.m., you have to be there by 4:00 a.m. (when Disney closes the roads). You are probably looking at a 3:00 a.m. wake-up, even if you staying at a Disney resort.

As far as the $80 for the guest ticket, when I did this race in 2012, the guest ticket received the same food and beverage vouchers that the runner did. I think it was just one food and one beverage each at that time. What you are paying for there is to be in the park after operating hours, not for the food and drink. Being at the post-race party give you the "opportunity to purchase" food and beverage.

Last edited:
Back