• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

I'll be there in November. Is it worth visiting AK now?

That is good news Ph. I'll still have my doubts though until I see it in person later this summer. I just can't get excited about Avatar. Like you said, it does bode very well for the Toy Story and Star Wars lands which people will care much more about going in.

It's not worth taking a special trip now, bym. Just make sure you plan to spend a late night at AK.

My kids got excited about Avatar. They were pretending to be Na'vi this morning. My 4 year threw a fit when we told him we are going to MK. He just wants to ride Flight of Passage. That's it.

What's funny about it is that the land barely references the film. No character interactions. There is a bust of Zoe Saldana's character in the store. There is an exoskeleton in front of the store. Nothing else I saw. Nothing about other characters at all. It's just about the planet and becoming an avatar. The Flight ride is set a generation after the events of the film.

I was there on Sunday. Park open was slated for 8 am. We showed up at 6:50 am, as we had heard that the park opened 45 minutes early on Saturday. When we walked up to the gate, we learned that the park had opened at 6:45, or 1:15 early. We went in and went straight to Flight of Passage. My soon wasn't tall enough to ride, so we did parent swap. My family walked straight through the queue, with no stopping, and from the time they went in the entrance till they came out, it took 55 minutes. The queue is apparently the longest queue of any ride in the world. They said it was beautifully themed, but I have also heard that if the line backs up to the beginning and is doing the normal crawl, it is a 5 hour wait.

After they got off Flight of Passage, we went to the Na'vi River Journey (at this point it was 8:15 am), but the wait was already 120 minutes and we didn't feel like standing in line. Used the fast pass from parent swap for Flight of Passage and left the land.

I walked around the merchandise some while waiting for family to get off the ride, it was pretty neat. The banshee adoption is one of those toys that people are going to throw money at. It looked pretty neat. By the time my family went to look in the shop, there was a line with a 30 minute wait just to get in.

After riding Flight of Passage, we went to ride Safari. As we walked that way, the line for Flight of Passage stretched to within 100 feet of the Lion King show area. They had it listed as a 295 minute wait, but a friend of my sister (she used to work there) who was working the land told her it was more like a 500 minute wait.

Unlike, PH's experience, it did not clear out in the middle of the day that day. We kept checking the wait time for the rides on the Disney app. Saw the river ride get up to 195 minutes and the Flight of Passage reach 395.

The immersion of the land is fantastic. You can't hear any other noise from the rest of AK. You feel like you are in another land. The level of immersion in this land, gets me really excited about Star Wars Land, as there is little doubt they will step up the immersive feel there. I have heard the are things in the land that will actually remember you over time and interact with you accordingly.

Last edited:
It's not worth taking a special trip now, bym. Just make sure you plan to spend a late night at AK.

My kids got excited about Avatar. They were pretending to be Na'vi this morning. My 4 year threw a fit when we told him we are going to MK. He just wants to ride Flight of Passage. That's it.

What's funny about it is that the land barely references the film. No character interactions. There is a bust of Zoe Saldana's character in the store. There is an exoskeleton in front of the store. Nothing else I saw. Nothing about other characters at all. It's just about the planet and becoming an avatar. The Flight ride is set a generation after the events of the film.

So maybe do a park hopper one day and get fast passes for the Avatar ride?

Maybe do a full day at AK and come back to the hotel midday.

Maybe do a full day at AK and come back to the hotel midday.

Or just early. If we do like last year, we'll leave the park on Saturday at 4:30 to get dinner and go to bed way early since we have to be on a race bus by 4AM.

It's worth seeing Pandora at night and the lines were much shorter (60 and 30) at the start of Extra Magic Hours from 11 pm to 1 am.

We were there this wkend as well. Skipped pandora in the am and had late after 9:3" fast pass for the river ride. It am was fairly empty. Did the safari Twice and Everest a handful of times

Still haven't done the nighttime safari yet. As a safari vet, I have a tough time getting hyped to ride it once much less again at night.

The parking lot at Disney Springs is one of the most improved parts of all of Disney World. It's just the best. We got there for dinner around 8:30. I saw there were 17 spots on Level 1, saw a green light, and parked right near the entrance. Back in the day, there was the surface lot and you'd have to hunt for a long time on a crowded day. I highly recommend taking time for Disney Springs. God bless you if you can afford to shop there. There are lots of good restaurants and just stuff to see. We ate at The Polite Pig today and enjoyed it.

ph would have been very excited

there was a live belle at my niece's bday party yesterday

Was she hot or something?

I think it's strange that people dress up as Disney characters at suburban birthday party's. It makes sense to see Belle at the Belle attraction at Magic Kingdom or parades but not at a random birthday party.

You have a weird idea of what I'd be excited about.

Was she hot or something?

I think it's strange that people dress up as Disney characters at suburban birthday party's. It makes sense to see Belle at the Belle attraction at Magic Kingdom or parades but not at a random birthday party.

You have a weird idea of what I'd be excited about.

People have all kinds of things at parties you'd expect to see elsewhere: clowns, bounce houses, strippers, ponies, Disney princesses. Some have all of those at the same party.

A model of Star Wars Land was unveiled today at D23.

The big takeaways:
--Only the two previously announced rides: piloting the Millennium Falcon and being immersed in First Order vs. Resistance battle
--The lands in Disneyland and Disney World will be exactly the same.
--The land is 14 acres, 2 acres more than Pandora at AK, 4 more than New Fantasyland
--Performance in the Millennium Falcon ride has consequences on your interactions in the land

Still haven't done the nighttime safari yet. As a safari vet, I have a tough time getting hyped to ride it once much less again at night.

The parking lot at Disney Springs is one of the most improved parts of all of Disney World. It's just the best. We got there for dinner around 8:30. I saw there were 17 spots on Level 1, saw a green light, and parked right near the entrance. Back in the day, there was the surface lot and you'd have to hunt for a long time on a crowded day. I highly recommend taking time for Disney Springs. God bless you if you can afford to shop there. There are lots of good restaurants and just stuff to see. We ate at The Polite Pig today and enjoyed it.

Just returned from Orlando and I must admit the parking system in the Disney Springs parking deck is the greatest advancement in parking since the addition of white lines. Initially I thought the digital displays were the price to park but then I realized they were the amount of spaces on each level and once inside a green light over the space will let you know which spaces are open from a distance.

Announced today that Epcot will be getting a refurbished entrance, Ratatouille ride for the France Pavilion, a Guardians of the Galaxy ride replacing Universe of Energy, and a Mission Space refurbishment and a new space themed restaurant next door.

Mission Space is closed now I think. Universe of Energy closes next month.

Back