• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

Agree it was beautiful. I was disagreeing on your statement comparing it to "all boat rides." Obviously, Splash Mountain is a different kind of boat ride, and if someone prefers more action to just a straight visuals, I can understand not loving it.

Sure. That's what I meant when I said I could understand not liking boat rides.

Sure. That's what I meant when I said I could understand not liking boat rides.

tenor.gif

Splash Mountain is a log flume ride, not a boat ride.

It's a Small World is the only boat ride any of us needs

also, #RIP 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Peter Pan Flight is a flying boat ride and it's fantastic.

The ferry ride from the parking lot is also a boat ride. People forget that

Disneyland announced Marvel Land at California Adventure.

So Universal will be keeping the rights in Florida? LOL.

It's a very complicated deal. Here's the brief synopsis of what I know.

Back in the day, Marvel was strapped for cash. They sold movie rights for a bunch of properties to make quick cash like Spider-man to Sony and X-Men to Fox. They sold theme park rights to Universal. Universal opened Islands of Adventure in 1999. Marvel wanted Universal to purchase Marvel Comics but Universal wasn't interested. (It would have been far cheaper than $4B back then.) The Marvel-Universal deal only extends east of the Mississippi River in the US. And it's only contingent on Universal keeping the rides up to date. This is why Disney parks in CA and Hong Kong and Disney cruise lines have extensive Marvel themed attractions and meet and greets.

That's the simple part. Here's where it gets thorny. The question between Universal and Disney is if Universal has theme park rights to all Marvel properties or just the properties that had rides before Disney purchased Marvel. Universal didn't have or didn't do anything with Guardians of the Galaxy, so Hollywood Studios did meet and greets with Star Lord and Gamora back in 2016 and 2017. There's a Guardians of the Galaxy ride coming to Epcot in 2021.

Black Panther is a question mark. I don't think Universal has any Black Panther attractions but they have Avengers rights. I've seen hopeful speculation that Disney could transform Rafiki's Planet Watch at Animal Kingdom (basically a petting zoo and animal themed children's museum) into a Wakanda experience on par with Pandora. Who knows? The film made too much money to not capitalize on it.

For now, both sides seem content with the arrangement. Universal gets to keep its 2nd theme park and attractions based on increasingly popular characters and Disney World gets their biggest competitor to promote their brand for them. I don't think anything is going to change because I don't think Disney could come up with enough incentive for Universal to sell unless they wanted to completely rebrand Islands of Adventure. Meanwhile, us east coast folks can just plan trips to California.

Last edited:
Just heard a rumor that Disney is in the very early stages of considering converting the Wonders of Life pavilion at Epcot into a Wakanda area. The building is only used for Food & Wine in the Fall. It used to have Body Wars, a simulator ride way back in the day. Wonders of Life is next to where the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster is going to be, so it would be a Marvel area in Epcot. There's also the possibility of adding a Black Panther themed night show at Animal Kingdom. Apparently, the much hyped new show isn't doing well.

The only hiccup is that there's apparently some painting at Universal that includes Black Panther, so it's unclear if that enough to prevent a Black Panther attraction at Disney World.

Back