• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World Tips and Tricks

And Universal's pass is much lower effort to use and enjoy on top of that.

It's not even a guarantee you're gonna be able to make the most of Disney's system if you're not familiar with it.

This 100%. It takes time to get familiar with it and maximize your return.

For what it's worth, Six Flags is trying to transform to a more premium model and it has thusfar failed miserably.

Their customer base isn't Disney's customer base.

We went to Disney a few weeks ago and I'm never going back, for the reasons Ph mentioned. My kids are luckily old enough (12 and 9) that they had their fill and don't want to go back either.

Way overcrowded and they nickel and dime for everything. Amusement parks used to be pay-per-ride via individual ride tickets, like Coney Island or Myrtle Beach. Then theme parks came about so basically you pay one high rate but can ride as much as you want. Now, Disney makes you pay the one high rate but then on top of that makes you pay per ride if you don't want to stand in line for 3 hours at time. It's bullshit. Why did I pay to get in if it wasn't to ride these rides?

The best was when we would try to make dinner reservations for 8 people and would get denied because of "Covid limitations". Yeah, you've got no problem jamming 3,000 people onto a monorail or in the queue area for a ride, and walking down the street is like Midtown Manhattan at rush hour, but no fucking way can I sit at a table with 7 other family members or I'll get 'Rona'd on the spot.

It sounds crazy, but Dollywood blows Disney away in terms of a theme park experience. Better rides and fewer/nicer people. Hell, I enjoyed wading through the human cesspool that is Scarowinds more than that Disney trip. Never again.

We went to Disney a few weeks ago and I'm never going back, for the reasons Ph mentioned. My kids are luckily old enough (12 and 9) that they had their fill and don't want to go back either.

Way overcrowded and they nickel and dime for everything. Amusement parks used to be pay-per-ride via individual ride tickets, like Coney Island or Myrtle Beach. Then theme parks came about so basically you pay one high rate but can ride as much as you want. Now, Disney makes you pay the one high rate but then on top of that makes you pay per ride if you don't want to stand in line for 3 hours at time. It's bullshit. Why did I pay to get in if it wasn't to ride these rides?

The best was when we would try to make dinner reservations for 8 people and would get denied because of "Covid limitations". Yeah, you've got no problem jamming 3,000 people onto a monorail or in the queue area for a ride, and walking down the street is like Midtown Manhattan at rush hour, but no fucking way can I sit at a table with 7 other family members or I'll get 'Rona'd on the spot.

It sounds crazy, but Dollywood blows Disney away in terms of a theme park experience. Better rides and fewer/nicer people. Hell, I enjoyed wading through the human cesspool that is Scarowinds more than that Disney trip. Never again.
The only problem with Dollywood is (in my recent experience)
1) always one or two coasters out of operation, which sucks when they don't have a lot in the first place
2) my god the food fucking SUCKS

But yeah it's one of the better parks for the money these days.

I’m pretty sure Disney doesn’t give a shit as they print their parks cash. Their target probably isn’t a resident that’s upset they haven’t added a new ride in years, it’s the midwestern rube that spends a decade saving to take their kids there for a one off.

I’m pretty sure Disney doesn’t give a shit as they print their parks cash. Their target probably isn’t a resident that’s upset they haven’t added a new ride in years, it’s the midwestern rube that spends a decade saving to take their kids there for a one off.

But now that midwestern rube is gonna go back home and instead of selling everyone on how magical it was, talk about how awful/crowded/overpriced it was and you might miss out on 3-5 other midwestern rubes set to follow in their footsteps.

These kinds of things and reputational loss tend to add up over time.

Or the southeastern rube. I put 2 summers worth of canoe earnings into our upcoming trip.

But now that midwestern rube is gonna go back home and instead of selling everyone on how magical it was, talk about how awful/crowded/overpriced it was and you might miss out on 3-5 other midwestern rubes set to follow in their footsteps.

These kinds of things and reputational loss tend to add up over time.

I think it’s mostly mitigated by the kid variable.

You're paying a premium price for the opportunity to not get to ride all the rides. It's amazing. Can't wait to go back.

The only problem with Dollywood is (in my recent experience)
1) always one or two coasters out of operation, which sucks when they don't have a lot in the first place
2) my god the food fucking SUCKS

But yeah it's one of the better parks for the money these days.
If you think the food at dollywood sucks, you've never been to king's dominion. That is low tier carnival food. Several years ago we paid 9 bucks for a kids hot dog. Just the hot dog.

If you think the food at dollywood sucks, you've never been to king's dominion. That is low tier carnival food. Several years ago we paid 9 bucks for a kids hot dog. Just the hot dog.
Haha, I have definitely not.

It's also been a decade since I've been to Carowinds but I remember being able to get chikfila there at least.

Haha, I have definitely not.

It's also been a decade since I've been to Carowinds but I remember being able to get chikfila there at least.
Yeah Carowinds still has the CFA. There is also a sectioned-off, covered, adults-only "VIP" area with decent furniture, a nice bar, better food, and a ton of TVs where you can hang out and watch sports for hours while your kids run amok on the rides. Something like that I am fine paying extra for as it is not an expected part of the price of admission.

Dollywood is fantastic. The food was good. The desserts were excellent. They have a good mix of rides. My wife rode more rides there than at Cedar Fair or SeaWorld parks.

If Disney had instituted a front of the line pass that cost 5x as much as Genie+ and 1/5 as many people buy, it would be a better system all together. Let the high rollers do their thing and the standby lines move smoothly for the poors.

The Universal system is far superior if you have the express pass and if you don’t. The standby lines are fast. Express pass is no more than 10-15 minutes except for Kong for some reason. Standby lines run smoothly.

VelociCoaster is the best ride out there. It doesn’t have Express Pass. But the wait is never more than 60 minutes and unless there is a mechanical issue the line is almost exactly the posted wait.

We did Cedar Point and Kings Island this summer and did one day with their paid passes and one day without and both were smooth.

Disney’s micromanaging is uniquely frustrating and doesn’t help the guest experience.

Good thread about the folly of streaming.

This tweet response especially.

Since this is kinda the Disney news thread.

Went to Disneyland (CA) with the kids for the first time during the week before thanksgiving. Used Park Hopper to go back and forth between DL and CA Adventure Park. Genie+ worked well for us; did pay for Lightning Lane on Cars and Rise of the Resistance, otherwise used Genie+ without issue. Great trip for us and my kids absolutely loved it (7 and 5.5). Would definitely consider taking them back again before the magic wears off - keys to success where going on weekdays the week before a major holiday. Park traffic definitely picked up by the last day of our trip as people were gearing up for being there Thanksgiving week.

Went to Disneyland (CA) with the kids for the first time during the week before thanksgiving. Used Park Hopper to go back and forth between DL and CA Adventure Park. Genie+ worked well for us; did pay for Lightning Lane on Cars and Rise of the Resistance, otherwise used Genie+ without issue. Great trip for us and my kids absolutely loved it (7 and 5.5). Would definitely consider taking them back again before the magic wears off - keys to success where going on weekdays the week before a major holiday. Park traffic definitely picked up by the last day of our trip as people were gearing up for being there Thanksgiving week.
The week after Thanksgiving is a great week at WDW...I thought about going down today just for that reason (alas, I decided to sleep in instead) - I'll probably end up going next Friday instead now and hope it stays quiet.

Back