• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disney World trip

For a family that wants to see all of WDW in one trip, during the summer, I would suggest 5-7 days. 2 days for Epcot and 1 a piece for Magic Kingdom, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, and a water park (Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, or River Country, if its still open?). If you have an extra day to spare, its always nice to kick around the ESPN World of Sports and Downtown Disney.

personally, with kids, i'd do two days in MK or MGM. epcot doesn't have the same appeal to little kiddos.

though i guess test ride and stuff didn't exist until i went when i was older. are there a bunch more rides in epcot these days?

I loved Epcot as a little tyke.

But that was before they absolutely fucked up Journey into Imagination.

I loved Epcot as a little tyke.

But that was before they absolutely fucked up Journey into Imagination.

personally, with kids, i'd do two days in MK or MGM. epcot doesn't have the same appeal to little kiddos.

though i guess test ride and stuff didn't exist until i went when i was older. are there a bunch more rides in epcot these days?

We went in October, first visit for everyone. My kids are 8 and 10. We spent more time at MK than any other park - there are just a lot more rides in total there and we were on somewhat of a mission to ride them all. Animal Kingdom was probably my kids' second favorite - a good number of rides plus a lot of animals and such that are enjoyable as an adult. Epcot was probably my favorite park and was my kids' third favorite. It has two of my favorite rides - Soarin' and Mission Space. Honestly, Hollywood Studios was my least favorite. Sure, the Rockin' Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror were great, but we never could get into the Buzz Lightyear ride (due to lines and fast pass times) and the park is awful to get around with so-so dining options.

We spent seven full days there and stayed at the Polynesian (we really liked the convenience of being on the monorail and the Polynesian was very laid back with a couple of pretty good dining options). In hindsight, we could have done all four parks to our satisfaction in five full days, six max. However, it was nice to be able to take a break without feeling like you were going to miss out on something by running out of time and we were able to go back to parks and re-ride some of our favorites without feeling rushed. I went into it thinking it would be a chore, but I had a blast and can't wait to back again in a few years.

We went through a terrific, Disney trained travel agent, based in Winston-Salem, who specializes in Disney vacations and she was absolutely awesome. Helped us plan the trip from soup to nuts, tons of great advice. She even handled all of our dining reservations and gave us a big binder of information to take with us that was tremendously helpful (for example, if you wanted to see a parade on such-and-such a day, here's where you need to go to get the best views and you need to be there by 6:00 pm in order to get a spot). Best of all, she was compensated by Disney. I can PM you her contact info if you'd like.

Take advantage of the pools, esp in the afternoons. Good time to relax and stay away from heavy crowds at the parks.

Four days definitely isn't enough if you want to do a lot and not be rushed. The tricky thing about doing four days is that you need to do Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom early in the morning to get the most out of them. If you're only doing one day at Hollywood Studios, it has to be the entire day. Toy Story Midway Mania runs out of Fastpasses around noon to 1:00 and is a 60-90 minute line the rest of the day. If you get there early, you can get in a shorter line and get a Fastpass for later. Most of the shows at Hollywood Studios run in the afternoons, so if you want to do Lights, Motor, Action and Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast, you're going to need to reserve time all afternoon for that. Fantasmic is great and you don't want to miss out on that.

If you get to Animal Kingdom when the park opens, you can knock out the entire park by the parade, especially in off-weeks. The show times are fairly evenly distributed and the ride lines aren't too long. Along with that, the animals are more active in the morning. If you live near a decent zoo, I wouldn't worry too much about seeing the animals though.

My oldest is 3 1/2 and he absolutely loves Epcot. Loves it even more now that he can ride Test Track. We go about once a month except in the summers.

I think Disney World is much more enjoyable if you're just going for the evening to hangout and eat then go back home rather than spending $Texas on a vacation. No pressure to do everything.

We are only going to be there for two nights....so I was thinking we would just hit one park. Do you think magic kingdom would be the best in that scenario?

Probably yes. Depends on other preferences, but with 2 nights, you probably want to do one park well rather than barely touch two.

We went for 8 days in January 2011. Stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge and got a free meal plan since we went during off peak season. Trip cost about 4k total and we had a blast. Never felt rushed an got to see everything.

Seriously, make a schedule before you go, at east for the first few days? My wife is a pretty laid back mom, and I laughed when she told me that she was doing that a few weeks before our trip, but it made the trip. Seemed a little ridiculous to be planning which parks we would go to on which days and then the order in which we would go to rides and attractions and get speed passes, but that was a lifesaver.

Granted, our kids were a little younger than yours at the time, but remember to include some down time when you're not forcing hem to march around the parks. The key is to pace yourself as kids will be miserable after two days if you don't and meltdown potential becomes high. Hit all of the parks (not water parks), then return to your favorites or enjoy a water park later in the trip, wearing he kids out for the trip home.

With young kids, we pretty much ignored Epcot except for one night to see the parade and the fireworks and laser show. Bummer for me because I really enjoyed it as a teenager, but we planned to take the kids back when they were older. That didn't work out so well for me because trips to Orlando with older kids usually means Universal.

Make reservations for character lunches. Great times but I remember having to make those reservations well in advance. If you have a young daughter, do not skip the Disney princess breakfast on Cinderella's castle. One of the top moments in my life was watching my 5 year daughter dress up and meet all of the princesses. Most of them were really cute too.

For the most part, let your kids do what they enjoy. One of my daughters wanted to go on every ride. The other became obsessed with getting every character's autograph. We "fought" over which parent went with which child throughout the day. I usually lost (it wasn't really much of a fight) and took autograph duty. It was boring as hell at times and not what I wanted to be doing, but awesome memories just spending that time talking to her.

Also, you can stay on property (we stayed at the Caribbean and took the buses everywhere) and make note of the days when parks open early for property-dwellers (I assume that they still do this). Those times with smaller crowds were great to get the kids through the more popular attractions.

Then, next time you go back (and you likely will), take the less expensive, stay off property if you want, and enjoy a more freewheeling approach.

Lastly, if you can do it, I highly suggest combining a Disney cruise with a few days in the parks for a second trip. Easily one of the best vacations with kids you can take.

One other thing I forgot to mention - there is a terrific Disney World app that you need to get for your phone. It will enable you to see the line wait times and fast pass times for every ride in each of the parks. While you're in each park this will keep you from having to physically walk to the ride to get this info (Epcot has some centrally located boards within the park that display this info but the others don't) and you can even check each park from your hotel if you're debating on which park to go to for a day. I think you can also use it to make dining reservations but we didn't use it for that. It'll give you show times for the performance type attractions, park hours, etc. Just a really helpful thing to have on you.

There is an unofficial Lines app from touringplans.com. It's a site run by a guy from Greensboro. It offers projections of crowds and wait times well in advance. They actually run analyses for their projections, wait in the actual lines, and have more accurate wait times than the posted ones Disney wants you to see. The website has recommended itineraries based on your need.

How bad an idea is it to do Disney around new year's day? Looking at doing 3 nights, arriving on Wednesday January 1, 2014. Do most kids have to be back in school for that Thursday, Jan 2nd?

Could be legit cold weather.

Not around New Years. The next week, probably. I can check crowd estimates when I get home.

Back