• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

I am poking fun at you because you refuted with vigor all the arguments used against the Obama admin in Benghazi (he is either incompetent or a liar) and are now using them with vigor against Christie in Bridgegate. It is pretty humorous to see you dance circles around yourself.

Christie has opened himself up. If he did know about it I am sure someone that he fired will talk. They have no reason not to at this point. Contrast that with Obama protecting and insulating all the people that could talk about Benghazi. I feel pretty confident that the truth will come out about Bridgegate. It is a sign of poor management either way, and not Christie's best moment in the spotlight. I still don't think this affects him one bit come 2016 presidential election. I guess we will see.

The difference is there have been multiple investigations of Benghazi. None of which said Obama was personally involved. Yet you keep talking about his involvement.

What's sad are your actions. Even recently you brought up the IRS non-scandal. You did so months after the people directly involved stated under oath it was all on them.

I fully understand your position and the position of some ithers, blame RJ and you'll have a few people on your side no matter what you say.

Once again, you don't refute any f my points. It's about RJ.

It's called vetting. I don't want a petty bully (or his petty bully friends) in the White House.

The ironic thing is that because of purely partisan politics, some Republicans are legitimately starting to circle the wagons to protect a guy that apparently conservatives didn't even want.

Unless this thing snowballs, I still don't see a better candidate for the GOP than Christie. He has what it takes to get elected, which makes him unique among the purported field.

The ONLY purposes of these talking points are to attack Christie and to harm his 2016 campaign. Its funny how scared the left is of him.

Assuming Christie gets through this unscathed, the GOP primary will be significantly more difficult for Christie than the general election. He'll have had to weather two significant vets before the general election. Jeb, Daniels, and Huntsman would all be good general election candidates, but they're either not running (Daniels, Huntsman) or getting through the primaries (Jeb). Ambition trumps ideology.

Nobody was scared of Herman Cain or John Edwards, but their scandals were multi-week stories because they were so blatantly stupid while running for President. Christie's a big story because it's perceived he has a legitimate shot. Any other GOP or Dem Governor without presidential aspirations facing the exact same accusations wouldn't be as big a story.

CNN reported last night that Christie was very high on Romney's VP list. During the vetting something scared them away.

Romney was very white bread. Conservatives didn't like him or trust him, but he didn't piss them off. Christie does do that.

Rube, the GW is the busiest bridge in the world. They brought traffic to a stop for four days on a political vendetta. Laws from two states and the feds may have been broken. This is a big story.

It would have been a huge story had Bloomberg done it from the other side.

It is bigger due to 2016, but it would have been the lead story on national news regardless. We're talking NYC and the busiest bridge in the world.

CC will be the nominee in 2016 if, in two years, he looks like a winner.

forget the handicapping of GOP primaries from people who view republicans in a purely anthropological way. mccain was too liberal to get the nomination. romney was too liberal to get the nomination, etc.

CC is selling winning. if this bridge thing is fatal, we will know by then and that is why he will fail a a candidate.

ie, he's not going to lose b/c conservatives don't like him. they never like the nominee.

he's going to lose because he no longer looks like a strong general e. candidate. it's going to take a couple years for all this to shake out. sit tight.

CNN reported last night that Christie was very high on Romney's VP list. During the vetting something scared them away.

According to Double Down, the sequel to Game Change, the final five VP possibilities were: Ryan, Christie, Pawlenty, Rubio, and Portman. Portman declined because of his gay son. Everybody else got their stuff in on time and in an orderly fashion, but Christie didn't completely fill out all the stuff, slow played the campaign on some issues, and was a general pain in the ass. Romney seemed genuinely fascinated by some of Christie's qualities, but Mitt's staff really hated Christie. Reading between the lines, they were pretty bitter about the hug, the self-serving convention speech, and some of the diva over the top requests on the campaign trail. They wouldn't have leaked so much of the vetting if they thought Christie was a selfless team player who did everything possible to get Mitt elected.

The beginning, middle and end of this witch hunt is that Christie went to the press and issued an apology and statement and said he was not involved.

The ONLY purposes of these talking points are to attack Christie and to harm his 2016 campaign. Its funny how scared the left is of him.

Hold on a second. You don't think any of his potential primary candidates (Republicans) are scared of him and might, possibly be standing on the sidelines and watching the show?

Hold on a second. You don't think any of his potential primary candidates (Republicans) are scared of him and might, possibly be standing on the sidelines and watching the show?

You have to remember that bringing up anything questionable about Christie is "fear" and "hate" rather than simply discussing what has happened.

He prides himself for his "hands on management".Yet he knew nothing about tying up the world's busiest bridge for four days. He didn't know anything and didn't ask any questions.

I like the fact that Christie he was an athlete and didn't know the guy who went to his HS. The problem is the Port Authority guy was the baseball team's statistician.

The beginning, middle and end of this witch hunt is that Christie went to the press and issued an apology and statement and said he was not involved.

It's not like Christie willfully volunteered to make this information public. If the story hadn't been reported, he wouldn't have stepped forward. At this point, the only people on the horizon I could see voting for are Jeb, Hillary, Daniels, Coumo, Huntsman, and Christie. Guessing that Huntsman and Daniels don't run. At the same point in 2006, I thought Richardson, Powell, and Giulliani were the best bets for 2008. Powell didn't run and Richardson and Rudy failed the vetting miserably. If Christie's telling the absolute truth, he comes out of this far stronger. If not, he doesn't deserve to be President. The most qualified people never enter politics, let alone run for President. It's a brutal process, but I don't see anything wrong with thorough vetting before entering the White House.

Huntsman is too sensible to win the nomination.

Christie is going to get raked over the coals by Republicans if he makes it to the primaries. Let's look at what will be used against him:

Hugging Obama- might as well hug Satan to the primary voters
Embraces ACA -this is a second capital offense to the primary voters
Northeast "liberal" - to those voting in the South this is not good
Bridgegate- yes it will be used no matter what
Bully- many stories will come out during the Bridgegate investigations

They may not have like Romney, but they didn't hate him. He was against what they were against.

If W hadn't screwed up so badly, Jeb would be a lock. If Daniels had a personality, he'd be in good shape. Maybe Walker picks up some of these pieces.

Christie tried to play word games today. He said he'd cooperate with "all APPROPRIATE investigations". That one word gives him an out.

The only reasons for this bullshit is to attack Christie and harm his presidential possibilities in 2016. To think anything else is partisan naivite'.

And only the Democrats would have an interest in harming his presidential possibilities in 2016?

Back