• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do negative fans hurt the basketball program?

No. I don't think they are better jobs than Wake. Are most of them easier jobs than Wake? Yes, I believe they could be. You either have no expectations (no one cares at all), or a natural recruiting base, or an easier conference, etc.

My only point here is that we're in the deep end of the pool in a big way. We're in the ACC--we have 3 prestigious bball programs right down the road (with 2 of them perennial top-5 programs), at a very small, academically-prestigious school with an off-campus arena that's way too big and high expectations for our flagship program--one with a losing in-conference record over its history. That, to me, is a tough job.

Wikipedia is down, but at least 6 of those programs have forced a coach change over the past 5 years. Everyone has expectations.

Of course they are. That's at least two jobs from each power conference that are tougher than Wake Forest. (and that's obviously not even close to being an extensive list).

Look at when we hired [Redacted]. Other open power conference jobs were St. Johns, Clemson, DePaul, BC, and Oregon. I'd say we were the best of the lot, with Oregon and St. Johns being the only ones with even an argument.

I never said Wake was a bad job.

I think we did better than Clemson, DePaul and BC.

St. John's was loaded with upperclassmen when Lavin got there. A couple of his recruits didn't qualify. I'm not sure he would have been a good fit at Wake.

Daan Altman is a good coach who hit the jackpot. I'm not sure we could have offered as much as Phil Knight did. Remember he wasn't close to being their first choice.

Of course they are. That's at least two jobs from each power conference that are tougher than Wake Forest. (and that's obviously not even close to being an extensive list).

Look at when we hired [Redacted]. Other open power conference jobs were St. Johns, Clemson, DePaul, BC, and Oregon. I'd say we were the best of the lot, with Oregon and St. Johns being the only ones with even an argument.

I don't disagree with that. But I'd also point out that (outside of BC--and even they can recruit Boston)--none of those other schools have to compete (for recruits and on the floor multiple times a year) with Duke and Carolina. Not to mention NC State, Maryland, (and soon Pitt and Syracuse). And at three of those schools that had openings (Clemson, BC, Oregon)--basketball is largely an after-thought.

And Wake is not a bad job. I never said it was. I said its a very difficult job--which I believe it is. Maybe someone can pull this without Wikipedia--but I wonder how many major conference schools that consider men's basketball their flagship, identity program for their athletic department--have a lifetime losing conference record??

Joe-Paterno-press-conference.jpg

Becuase it makes people think I made the post. No other parody does that.

rj thinks that the avatar is the reason why people think that he makes the posts.

how awesome is that?

I mean it's obvious that negative fans hurt the basketball program. If we were all sunshine, all in, all the time, then recruits would be more likely to come here and want to play in front of our fantastic fans. But the truth is, we're not any different than almost any other school. We have positive fans, we have negative fans. Most of our fans want what's best for the basketball program and have no problem speaking up when something they don't like is happening.

So yes, obviously negative fans hurt the program. But every program has negative fans.

quickly becoming the most overused thing on the boards since "ohhh snap you just made a HASS". But I'm not as sick of the JoePa pic yet... it's definitely comical when used in the right circumstances.

quickly becoming the most overused thing on the boards since "ohhh snap you just made a HASS". But I'm not as sick of the JoePa pic yet... it's definitely comical when used in the right circumstances.

joepa.png

rj thinks that the avatar is the reason why people think that he makes the posts.

how awesome is that?

If how delusional he is wasn't so damn funny it would be incredibly sad. Good thing it is really damn funny.

I can't help it. I laugh out loud every time somebody posts that pic.

It is multitudes funnier than the dorks who kept perpetuating the what.is.that stuff on the old board.

Back