• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you believe Ron Wellman should be fired?

Do you believe Ron Wellman should be fired?

• Total voters
Do I agree with everything RW has done, especially lately?
No.

Do I think it is reasonable to seriously consider whether he should be fired?
No.

Don't really feel comfortable saying someone should be fired when I don't know all the facets of the job. I suspect there is a helluva lot more that should go into evaluating an AD than simply reviewing the overall W-L record of the football and basketball teams.

I can't say I want him gone but I can say that using the ("what have you done for me lately?") method, I can make a strong argument against him.

I voted no but agree that the next few years will be telling. However, it seems like many of the posters I generally see calling for his firing are the younger Deac fans and didn't see a lot of the stuff he has done, especially early on in his time. Spry Stadium, the hiring of Skip and Grobe, the improvements to the golf team's training facilities, Miller Athletic center, and a whole lot of other stuff. He's an athletics director, not just a football and basketball director. I do recognize, though, those are the two spotlight sports. However, football has been better than it has in a long time. Just because we don't duplicate the 2006 season doesn't mean football is suffering. As for basketball, the program is hurting right now but you also have to give your hire a chance to build his program, meaning you give him 3-4 years. If basketball is still in the same shape in 2 more years and Bz doesn't get fired, then Wellman's job status needs to be reexamined. But to say he needs to be fired just because you don't like the coach he hired is not enough. I would respect him less if he caved to pressure instead of showing some loyalty to the people he hired. Of course, loyalty has never been valued much on this board. As for Lobo, that's more of a Grobe issue. Gorbe is extremely loyal to his assistants and if Wellman ordered Grobe to get rid of Lobo, then we'd probably be saying goodbye to Grobe as well.

The fact that we won an ACC Championship in football in an ACC with Virginia Tech, Miami, and Florida State alone should allow Ron to retire on his own terms. Duke and Virginia shared the title in 1989 in an ACC without those 3 teams in the league and a Clemson on probabation from the Danny Ford infractions. Other than that, neither of those teams have ever won an outright title in the modern era (Virginia shared it with FSU in 1995). State and UNC last won league titles in 1979 and 1980 respectively. State, UVA, Duke, and UNC all have more resources/money/fans/recruiting power than LOWF. Yes, I've been disappointed with football the past few years but other than the fuck up last year, we've been competitive in just about every game every year in the Grobe era. The fact that Wellman has been able to keep Grobe here is a small miracle. I remember people saying as early as 2002 that Grobe was too good of a coach for Wake and there's no way we'd be able to keep him around.

The fact that we won an ACC Championship in football in an ACC with Virginia Tech, Miami, and Florida State alone should allow Ron to retire on his own terms. Duke and Virginia shared the title in 1989 in an ACC without those 3 teams in the league and a Clemson on probabation from the Danny Ford infractions. Other than that, neither of those teams have ever won an outright title in the modern era (Virginia shared it with FSU in 1995). State and UNC last won league titles in 1979 and 1980 respectively. State, UVA, Duke, and UNC all have more resources/money/fans/recruiting power than LOWF. Yes, I've been disappointed with football the past few years but other than the fuck up last year, we've been competitive in just about every game every year in the Grobe era. The fact that Wellman has been able to keep Grobe here is a small miracle. I remember people saying as early as 2002 that Grobe was too good of a coach for Wake and there's no way we'd be able to keep him around.

+1 This thread is ridiculous. The success of our fall sports has never been better than under Wellman. Basketball will turn around in due time.

This year? We don't have the talent to be anywhere near the bubble. Next year will be the key year for Bzzzz. Hopefully we can get 4 or so ACC wins to build some mo for next year.

Yeah. I wasn't very clear. Nit bubble. How far are we from 500

Gene Hooks was a friend of mine and I have great admiration for him as an administrator and a man. However, when one compares the athletic department of today to the athletic department under Gene, there is every indication that Ron is doing an excellent job. To think otherwise makes one seem immature, silly or mean spirited.

Yeah. I wasn't very clear. Nit bubble. How far are we from 500

Someone mentioned the CBI bubble along with the NIT. Three years ago we turned down the CBI. If the CBI came calling would we go this year?

BTW, I'm sure most of you know this but it's much more difficult to make the NIT field than it was prior to '08. With the auto qualifiers from one bid conferences if they don't win their conference tourney, and the fact that teams are chosen on merit and not on drawing power/name recognition, making the NIT field as an "at-large" is difficult. You pretty much have to be on the bubble on the outside looking in, or just off it.

Gene Hooks was a friend of mine and I have great admiration for him as an administrator and a man. However, when one compares the athletic department of today to the athletic department under Gene, there is every indication that Ron is doing an excellent job. To think otherwise makes one seem immature, silly or mean spirited.

All athletic departments have grown significantly in the last 20 years. It's called ESPN and $$$.

I guess I'm "mean spirited" for posting facts.

No, but I really hope he doesn't have too much pride to let Bz go if we don't start seeing good things consistently at this time next year.

Or if we finish below BC this year in conference.

This. I think that overall, our athletics dept. has thrived under Wellman. However, his hiring of Bzz and his bizarre press conferences in Bz's defense last year have definitely taken some of the shine off. I'll gladly eat crow if Bz pans out because it pains me as a NC native to see our ACC basketball team in the toilet. But, if he doesn't right the ship in the next couple of years, Wellman needs to suck it up and cut ties so that we can move on to a real program building coach.

Citing a 2008 article doesn't further your position.

Of course it does. Street & Smith thought he was the best AD in the country a few years ago. I love Wake, but there are better jobs out there (especially if you have to put up with a bunch of under-appreciative "fans"). We are lucky to have him. When was the last time you were named the best in the country at anything?

Which programs are you two talking about? I think we have had about the best fall we've had in awhile.It appears the women's basketball program is improving and I believe baseball is heading in the right direction.

By the way I voted he can stay as long as he likes because I think he will continue to be a great asset. How many AD's have accomplished the results he has with the resources he has to deal with.

All athletic departments have grown significantly in the last 20 years. It's called ESPN and $$$.

I guess I'm "mean spirited" for posting facts.

I guess you could be silly or immature. This thread is based on a mean spirited premise.

Back