• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you consider yourself a good person?

Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 76 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 17.4%

• Total voters
Townie:
Diogenes_looking_for_a_man_-_attributed_to_JHW_Tischbein.jpg

side note - i think most people would say 'yes' because nobody likes to think of themselves as a 'bad person,' but i don't think there are truly that many purely altruistic people in the world. everyone's got a little bit of 'looking out for #1' going on, it's just to what extent you let that dictate your actions.
I dunno. This could turn into a really deep analysis of people. At the core I think people are good, though, so that would guide most of my thoughts.

side note - i think most people would say 'yes' because nobody likes to think of themselves as a 'bad person,' but i don't think there are truly that many purely altruistic people in the world. everyone's got a little bit of 'looking out for #1' going on, it's just to what extent you let that dictate your actions.
I dunno. This could turn into a really deep analysis of people. At the core I think people are good, though, so that would guide most of my thoughts.

I was kind of hoping it would.

Or at the very least, be a social experiment on how people see themselves.

ETA: Kory, is that Diogenes?

I don't think "not being purely altruistic"="being bad."

I don't think "not being purely altruistic"="being bad."

I don't either, but that's why I initially questioned what Townie meant by "good person." I think I'm a good person insofar as I don't harm others (and generally help them as I am able/capable)... but I'm not a good person (and don't think hardly anyone is) if the definition is someone who's purely altruistic.

I'm better than any of you assholes. Or at least 9 of you assholes.

I was kind of hoping it would.

Or at the very least, be a social experiment on how people see themselves.

ETA: Kory, is that Diogenes?

It is. I got the sense you were searching for an honest man here.

I wouldn't call myself a good or bad person. I mean, if it comes down to "pick one or the other" I would pick "good" i guess, because it seems so strange to think of myself as a bad person.
I would refer to myself as a decent person but I'm certainly subject to a good number of the imperfections that are common in people. As I get older I think I'm becoming a better person but strangely enough, as I age I'm becoming more self aware and realize how much more I need to grow. So in other words, the better person I become the worse of a person I realize that I am. It's kind of like the more you learn the more you realize you don't know anything.
So yeah, I guess I'm a decent person because I do strive to improve myself, which is all anyone can ask of anyone, but do I try hard enough? (I hope so, but I'm sure I could try harder) Who knows?
For me I guess the term good person is a relative term for which I use myself as a benchmark, people better than me are "good people" (although people "worse" than me aren't necessarily bad people) and as I grow and hopefully better myself my definition of a "good person" shifts ahead of me.

I don't believe in altruism, but I think we already had that thread.

Yes. For example, I am the World's Humblest Man. Don't even THINK about trying to out-humble me. You. Will. Be. DESTROYED.

Good Lord no, I just thought of the worst Wellman joke ever. What is wrong with me.

As I get older I think I'm becoming a better person but strangely enough, as I age I'm becoming more self aware and realize how much more I need to grow. So in other words, the better person I become the worse of a person I realize that I am. It's kind of like the more you learn the more you realize you don't know anything.

Well put, I can absolutely relate to this. I've noticed more bad things about myself recently, but it might just be due to the fact that I am more critical of myself now than in prior years.

Yeah I think so. Most of the time. I mean, I donate to Goodwill, give blood to the Red Cross semi-frequently, I teach and try to help my student even if they don't appreciate it. If I had the income, I'd probably donate to some charities or something. Never been arrested or committed a crime against someone.

I'm sure there are a few people in my life who think I'm bad because I don't go church or some stupid shit like that. I think most of my co-workers think I'm pretty helpful, though a few likely think I'm an ass. Generally I'm nice to everyone I meet; once they are an asshole to me or someone I care about then I'm an asshole back. I'm sarcastic, so I could see that coming off to some people as I'm a bad person.

Generally, I think people are varying degrees of good or bad. Most of us try to do the right thing when we can, but sometimes we don't.

to me this question conjures up a scale in my mind where 10 = jesus and 0 = hitler. If i'm over 5, does that make me "good"?

What's interesting is that I would guess that the "peak" value would be 6-7 on the bell curve, meaning most people consider themselves to be more good than bad. What does that say? That people are inherently more good than bad for some reason? Or that people self-select favorably?

I wouldn't think about it too much diggler, you're a giant piece of shit

Back