• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you play to win or not to lose?

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here. I really have no idea if this kind of thread is interesting to anyone or not, but here goes.

In the March Harvard Business Review, a feature story had this title. The premise is simple, and gets at a motivational question that addresses performance better than some of the personality indicators on tests like Myers Briggs.

Some characteristics of Promotion-focused (play to win) people include:

Work quickly
Consider lots of alternatives and are great brainstormers
Are open to new opportunities
Are optimists
Plan only for best case scenarios
Seek positive feedback and lose steam without it
Feel dejected or depressed when things go wrong

Some characteristics of Prevention-focused (play not to lose) people include:

Work slowly and deliberately
Tend to be accurate
Are prepared for the worst
Are stressed by short deadlines
Stick to tried-and-true ways of doing things
Are uncomfortable with praise or optimism
Feel worried or anxious when things go wrong

The article also suggests some examples of problems that may arise between conflicting personality types in employees and bosses.

The underlying notion is that you can use motivational strategies from both schools in different circumstances. So in tasks involving creativity and advancement, it's better to "play to win."

I know I used to be very much prevention focused. Nowadays, I am much more promotion focused. I wonder if there are also correlations between place in your career (early vs late) and industry that attract certain personalities.

I see Holly Brower found her way to the Pit

I feel like this should be a spectrum for most people. You know not to lose at first and then transition to playing to win once you've got it down. It can be dangerous to play to win when you don't know what you're doing.

Those are lame and half-baked attributes.

People who play to win usually understand you don't bat 1.000. They expect some things to go wring.

What about the third option, don't give a fuck and good things happen anyways

In all seriousness I think it is hard to neatly group these attributes but overall it is a good breakout. In my job I try to have a prevention-focused mindset for most tasks, especially compliance related tasks, and a promotion-focused mindset for miscellaneous projects. As buckets mentioned I think I will gain more of a promotion-focused mindset as I master the job.

Early in my career I had a promotion-focused mindset for all tasks. Now I am to the point where I am more prevention-focused as most people have this style in my department, and I have the mentality that maintaining good relationships with coworkers and bosses is far more important than anything else.

"FGCU match up zone has caused all kinds of problems for SDSU. Gotta love FGCU playing to win vs not to lose!" Tweeted by Rusty LaRue on 3/24.

just sayin'

I don't really care for those descriptions (really just the 'only plan for best-case' one), but I definitely play to win.

My favorite business school theory is the Lions, Monkeys, Koalas and Owls one.

My favorite business school theory is the Lions, Monkeys, Koalas and Owls one.

i vaguely remember that from another exercise (i didn't do b-school). remind me of that again? pretty sure i'm a lion.

i vaguely remember that from another exercise (i didn't do b-school). remind me of that again? pretty sure i'm a lion.

I forget where I first heard it.

• OWL: Thoughtful, mature, perfectionist, reserved, observant. Owls like thinking time, rules and routine.
• ELEPHANT: Reliable, methodical, stable, friendly and relaxed. Elephants like harmony, inclusiveness and to be appreciated.
• LION: Driving, demanding, challenging, competitive and adventurous. Lions like freedom, prestige and the chance to be in charge.
• MONKEY: Charming, inspiring, popular and trusting. Monkeys like approval, fun and company.

I feel like this should be a spectrum for most people. You know not to lose at first and then transition to playing to win once you've got it down. It can be dangerous to play to win when you don't know what you're doing.

Agreed. When I was first learning the ropes at my company, I was definitely more cautious because I didn't have enough experience to be able to trust myself in making decisions quickly. Now that I've got things down, I'm definitely in the play-to-win camp. Move fast, break things....

I default to lion, but will be owlish in a new situation (until i figure out the players/situation... then it's lion time).

I default to lion, but will be owlish in a new situation (until i figure out the players/situation... then it's lion time).

tumblr_mi1me64v9d1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Back