• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doctors are paid way too much in America

My question with regards to the litigation is are there more lawsuits because people want to file them and thus more lawyers, or are there more lawyers than there are cases so attorneys push for lawsuits?

I think it's probably the former but I could be persuaded it's the latter if there's an argument to be made.

It's because insurers will settle almost any case. Plaintiffs' lawyers know the odds of payment are good. If insurers would force plaintiffs' attorneys to take more weak cases to trial (and a LOT of them are weak), they would save a lot in the long-run.

I don't understand. Medicaid isn't granted to people who don't have insurance, but to people that can't afford insurance, no? Are these people hiding assets from the government?

I'm not sure what's going on but it more has to do with the costs of the various immunizations or medications. Also, it's somehow complicated by the fact that they are foreigners on "vacation".

It's because insurers will settle almost any case. Plaintiffs' lawyers know the odds of payment are good. If insurers would force plaintiffs' attorneys to take more weak cases to trial (and a LOT of them are weak), they would save a lot in the long-run.

When we (nursing home group) went self insured, we decided to not settle any cases. The volume of lawsuits dropped dramatically within a couple of years.

I'm still waiting to hear if there is any person in the Greensboro or surrounding area who knows of a single patient who ever left Kindred Hospital alive.

A better question would be "does anyone know any patients who were in Kindred Hospital, and if so, did they survive?"

Thanks for that info. I do not pretend to understand how the system works. I was just certain in my own mind that my aunt was not transferred to Kindred for the reasons given to us, because I saw no rehab going on anywhere with anyone. And my last question stands: Does anyone in the Greensboro area who has had any experiences with Kindred Hospital know of any patient who has ever left that hospital alive?

ETA: And why do you say that my contention that her move to Kindred was for financial reasons was only "partially" correct? It seems to me that it was 100% related to financial reasons. What other reason could there have been for it? She certainly didn't receive any better care at Kindred than she was receiving at Randolph...and I would say that it was much worse. She was placed in a large room at the end of the hall that seemed more like a laundry or storage room with four other patients. And I hardly ever saw anyone come in there to check on her during the hours that I was visiting each day. As I said, the entire place (isn't this the old L Richardson Preyer Hospital?) seemed like something you would see after you stepped out of a time machine in the 1950s.

Why didn't Dr Evans just tell me: "Look, we have to ship your aunt off to Kindred Hospital, because we can't make any more money off of her here"?

And I can give you another little story about how "professional" the Kindred staff is. I was the contact person for my aunt. I was the one who signed her in and filled out the paperwork. One of the nurses got information from me for contact information, etc. We visited her on Saturday morning before she died that afternoon. Before I left, I went by the desk and explicitly told them that we were going over to the Farmers Market on Sandy Ridge Road, but if there was any change in the situation to call me. Well, I got a call about two hours later from one of my cousins who was crying and said that she had died. I told her that was impossible, because I was just there two hours ago and had told them that if there was any change to call me and I could be back there within 20 minutes or so.....and nobody had called me. Well, we went back to the hospital, and sure enough, my aunt had died. I went to the desk where I had just been two hours ago and asked why no one had called me. (The way my cousin had found out was by a phone call from another visitor who had signed the visitor list....who was the person that the hospital called! The damned visitor!) The nurse at the desk said that they tried to call me but couldn't reach me. Would you like to know why they couldn't reach me? When they checked the contact info sheet that the admitting nurse had filled out, she omitted the first three numbers of my telephone number, substituting the three-digit area code instead. So they were calling 336- and the last four digits of my telephone number. How professional could someone be who would dial 336-xxxx as a Greensboro telephone number?
I said you were at least partially correct - that's materially different than "only partially correct". You have provided little information about your aunt's situation, so nobody can say of there were considerations beyond financial.

The telephone call mixup happens in healthcare facilities from time to time. Sometimes it's the staff's fault. Sometimes the responsible party failed to give the facility the area code. If you didn't give them the area code and expected them to notice that the address wasn't local and search for the area code, that's laughable.

If you said that you had written the telephone number down, I missed that.

I've never been to that building. I have toured a dozen or more rehab hospitals and spent 30 years in the SNF business, so I have a pretty good idea what that branch of health care is about. You haven't proved jack shit other than you have a strong opinion backed up solely by your strong opinion.

BKF, I'm not defending the facility at all. Since you like to throw the work "fuck" around, let me state for the record that you're a fucking moron when it comes to health care or logic.

Last edited:
From Kindred's website:

We provide post-acute care through:

Transitional care hospitals, which provide aggressive, specialized long-term acute care (LTAC) to medically complex patients who require extended recovery time.

Nursing and rehabilitation centers that provide a full range of medical, nursing, rehabilitation and social services to treat and support each of our patients, whether long term or short term.

Our rehabilitation services business, RehabCare, which helps patients get their lives back by providing physical and occupational therapy and speech-language pathology.

Inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, where patients receive intense rehabilitation regimens to fully recover from an injury or illness.

Home health care, which offers medical services, including wound care and rehabilitation therapy, provided in the comfort of your home, wherever you live.

Hospice, a family-oriented model of care designed to meet the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of patients in life’s final season.

I fail to see the difference. It is just semantics. Same thing with your "at least partially correct" and "only partially correct".

"Only" directly states that the you are, at the maximum, partially correct but can never be fully correct. "At least" directly states that at a minimum you are partially correct while leaving open the chance for you to be fully correct. It isn't semantics, it is pretty simple understanding of the English language and how combination of words have meanings and that different combinations of words have different meanings.

BKF: what rehab was ordered for your aunt?
Was she strong enough to tolerate the rehab?
Did you ask the nurses why she wasn't receiving rehab or if it was being done while you weren't there?
Was Dr. Evans following her at Kindred, or someone else?
Did you ask the attending MD about her lack of rehab?
Did you talk to someone from Kindred social services about your concerns?
Did you contact Adult Protective Services about your concerns?
Did you ask to see your aunt's medical record (assuming you had legal standing to do so)? Absent that authority, did you ask whomever did have legal standing to do so?

BKF's question about Kindred Hospital is useless because it only asks if posters know of anyone who survived a stay there. It fails to identify the number of posters who have any knowledge of anyone who was even admitted there. Assume for a minute that no posters know squat about Kindred - the command of logic BKF has demonstrated in this thread suggests he would conclude there were posters who knew of admitted patients who died at Kindred.

Actual scenario Randolph hospital knew she was going to die, transferred to rehab facility where mortality rates do not matter in rankings and reputation, she proceeds to die. Randolph hospital in the clear, rehab facility just another case, everyone happy in the medical world.

Or everyone knew she was going to die and she was transferred away from an acute care hospital to a place where she could pass. Cheaper for the insurance and sometimes mandated if the acute issue has resolved. Doctor probably didn't know a nice way to tell you she was going to die. Years ago doctors weren't as forthcoming as we are today. I give people the straight truth. It's the only fair way even though sometimes no one wants to hear it.

Back