• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Wake Forest make a bowl game in 2013-2014?

Does Wake go bowling this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This argument is pretty dumb.

Coach Grobe is likely the best coach any of us have lived through (Peahead Walker may be better than Coach Grobe, but it was in the '40's), but that doesn't mean he is the right guy moving forward for us if he doesn't produce throughout the rest of this contract. Time will tell.

6-6 ACC teams don't get left at home, neuro.

The double conclusion is extremely generous, but if it makes you happy and convinced that Grobe is a miracle worker, so be it.

He's been a good coach, allbeit one with diminishing results. But a miracle worker ... I'm not at all convinced

I don't think you can take out the Fresh Deacs because he recruited them here. He certainly deserves the credit for getting them here does he not? You can't just take out the three best years of any other coach.

Well, one man's wine, eh? I think it's relevant because Grobe hasn't repeated that feat since then. It's thus, in my view, an outlier that cannot be expected going forward, and it enhanced the program for three years and no further.

He gets credit, but trying to look ahead I'm more interested in what we can really expect, not what was a fluke.

This argument is pretty dumb.

Coach Grobe is likely the best coach any of us have lived through (Peahead Walker may be better than Coach Grobe, but it was in the '40's), but that doesn't mean he is the right guy moving forward for us if he doesn't produce throughout the rest of this contract. Time will tell.

Pretty much. What were we arguing about again?

I don't really want to continue to talk about this, but I will agree to disagree (strongly) with your first paragraph.

Well, one man's wine, eh? I think it's relevant because Grobe hasn't repeated that feat since then. It's thus, in my view, an outlier that cannot be expected going forward, and it enhanced the program for three years and no further.

He gets credit, but trying to look ahead I'm more interested in what we can really expect, not what was a fluke.

What did Odom do without Duncan? What did Prosser do without CP?

They get credit for recruiting great players and winning with them. They also deserve blame for not duplicating success by recruiting similar talents that it takes to win.

Is Grobe going to recruit another Fresh Deacs class? If not, is he going to find another winning style?

The schedules are harder now. We have played more big time OOC games under Grobe in his 11 years than in the 25 years before him.

The ACC is generally harder too.

The semantics of this easy-to-qualify-for-a-bowl issue is ridiculous. Of course it's easier to get into a bowl during Grobe's tenure. Bill Dooley went 7-4 and 6-4-1 in his first two years and didn't make a bowl. Today he surely would have, and that would've given him 3 bowls in 6 years, about the same as Grobe.

they are arguing how relevant bowls are as a gauge of grobe's performance, not wheter it is easier to get into a bowl or not.

Let's just hope Grobe can improve, Remember WELLMAN WILL PICK HIS REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

^exactly. and even if we had a good AD odds are simply much greater we will end up with a coach who produces equal to or worse results than better ones.

I'm not sure that established coaches are clamoring to coach wf fb, and i'm definitely not sure wellman can identify up and coming coaches.

canning grobe is simply not worth the risk IMO, though i think nobody disputes he's past his prime.

Something needs to change. Perhaps the additions to the staff over the past couple seasons will prove to be difference makers.

Hopefully Ron will ride off into the sunset (beach) after chairing the selection committee this year.

I think a capable AD could certainly find a coach capable of providing more than what Grobe is right now, and for cheaper.

I'm getting deja vu.

Last edited:
well at least all agree RW needs to go. why has he not been fired yet? i cannot understand this. is there 1 or 2 250 million dollar benefactors that are just retarded? or is some filthy rich UNC alum doing this for the lulz? or is ron like j edgar hoover and has some pics of hatch sucking dicks? there can't be more than a handful (and that's generous) of big time donors who are still on board rw's sinking ship.

Last edited:
well at least all agree RW needs to go. why has he not been fired yet? i cannot understand this. is there 1 or 2 250 million dollar benefactors that are just retarded? or is some filthy rich UNC alum doing this for the lulz? or is ron like j edgar hoover and has some pics of hatch sucking dicks? there can't be more than a handful (and that's generous) of big time donors who are still on board rw's sinking ship.

I think many if the big-time doners are on board with Wellman. Whales love access and perks, Ron can deliver both.

You have a couple extra digits in there...Wake has no $250M donors. Actually, pretty much no one does.

The schedules are harder now. We have played more big time OOC games under Grobe in his 11 years than in the 25 years before him.

The ACC is generally harder too.

I'd have to look into that. You may be right, but just off the top of my head, during my years at Wake I know we played OK, PSU, MI, LSU, and SC when they were ranked. And of course in 1979 we played Auburn and UGA when both were in the top 15 or so.

Again, you may be right, but those are all games against top 15 teams or better. I think MI was ranked #1 when we got blitzed in the Big House

Back