• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Wake Forest make a bowl game in 2013-2014?

Does Wake go bowling this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Grobe definitely has scheduled pretty hard OOC. I'll admit that is a solid defense of his record.

Even a lot of games that didn't look particularly difficult at the time they were scheduled -- Navy, Baylor, Ole Miss, Stanford, now Vandy -- proved to be very tough by the time we played them. A struggling program should try and schedule us OOC, seems like it magically turns teams around.

UL-Monroe qualifies as an "easy" OOC game by Grobe's standards. And it really isn't that easy at all.

I'd have to look into that. You may be right, but just off the top of my head, during my years at Wake I know we played OK, PSU, MI, LSU, and SC when they were ranked. And of course in 1979 we played Auburn and UGA when both were in the top 15 or so.

Again, you may be right, but those are all games against top 15 teams or better. I think MI was ranked #1 when we got blitzed in the Big House

Well, the early 70s were just ridiculous with playing big time guarantee games for cash. We still played some big time opponents fairly regularly in the late 70s, but it really started trailing off starting in the 80s. We played TN, MI and SC and a couple of games against Auburn in the 80s. The 90s pre-Grobe were very sparse. played NW a couple of times and a decent Navy team or two. A decent ECU team.

Sept 21st,1974 UNC 31-0, Oct 5th, 1974 #2 Oklahoma 63-0, Oct 12th,1974 #15 Penn St 55-0, Oct 19th,1974 #18 Maryland 47-0, Oct 26th, 1974 UVa 14-0. Chuck Mills lasted 3 more horrible seasons. These are not the darkest days of Wake, far from it. Don't be jealous of other programs. It won't do you any good at all.

Grobe definitely has scheduled pretty hard OOC. I'll admit that is a solid defense of his record.

Even a lot of games that didn't look particularly difficult at the time they were scheduled -- Navy, Baylor, Ole Miss, Stanford, now Vandy -- proved to be very tough by the time we played them. A struggling program should try and schedule us OOC, seems like it magically turns teams around.

UL-Monroe qualifies as an "easy" OOC game by Grobe's standards. And it really isn't that easy at all.

Assuming you ignore the complete gimme FCS game that we have every season.

Even if the ACC somehow gets 11 teams one year of 14 teams eligible, the bottom two would still likely go. It's always a bit of a struggle to get 70 teams at 6-6.

There were many years in the 80s where we would play 3 FCS level teams OOC.

Well yeah, but we aren't exactly alone in scheduling those

No, I just have a hard time characterizing an OOC schedule as tough when it has those and a bunch of middling teams on it. And that's pretty much what we've had the past few years, excluding Notre Dame last year and Stanford in 2010. Otherwise, a bunch of 4-8 win major conference teams plus Navy a few times.

And Vandy.

Wake consistently plays a top third hardest OOC schedule in the ACC. You're just being dumb if you don't play an FCS game when you need to get to six wins to make a bowl IMO.

And Vandy.

Wake consistently plays a top third hardest OOC schedule in the ACC. You're just being dumb if you don't play an FCS game when you need to get to six wins to make a bowl IMO.

Hmm? Vandy is much better than they have been, but they are still a middling major conference team.

Not sure what it is you want exactly, TBR. It's not like getting home-and-homes with top-tier BCS teams is easy. But we've even pulled it off under Grobe, see Nebraska and Notre Dame.

And if and when we would actually be able to get them, it would certainly hurt our bowl prospects

And Vandy.

I'm not saying you're wrong but did you read this somewhere or it's just a gut feeling or...I do find it surprising. We've played some good teams but we also play a lot of bad teams.

More than a few ACC teams have played two FCS teams in a recent season, and Wake is not among them. I don't doubt the top-third assertion.

Nah I don't have any stats on it. Have written about/researched ACC OOC schedules the past two or three years and I think each year had at least two or three teams with multiple FCS schools on them - sometimes scheduling issues, sometimes planned.

IIRC Miami and Maryland had pretty difficult schedules last year and that was it. I think Maryland was hard to place because they played four mediocre BCS schools but had no really easy games. I can't remember from year to year.

Wake playing an FCS school, Vandy, a good lower-tier FBS school, and then a service academy on a regular basis is easily top 6-8 in the conference year in and year out. Years where we have Notre Dame on the schedule obviously it's better than not. This year is a little easier than last year in that we just replaced Notre Dame with UL-Monroe and switched FCS schools. Liberty is probably a little better than Prebsy if we're even going to go that far (which may be necessary since we only won by 3).

I'd say 6-8 is likely a modest ranking. I'd say more often than not it's higher than that.

Miami has to play strong OOC opponents in order to draw, plus they have a huge brand name. And VT usually finds their way into a major OOC matchup, largely due to the run of success that they've had (and even they usually play the dregs otherwise .. and they don't always have a top-notch OOC game).

But no one else really jumps out as continually scheduling harder than we do

Sept 21st,1974 UNC 31-0, Oct 5th, 1974 #2 Oklahoma 63-0, Oct 12th,1974 #15 Penn St 55-0, Oct 19th,1974 #18 Maryland 47-0, Oct 26th, 1974 UVa 14-0. Chuck Mills lasted 3 more horrible seasons. These are not the darkest days of Wake, far from it. Don't be jealous of other programs. It won't do you any good at all.

That was my freshman year. I still remember the cheers when we kicked a field goal in the first half against Clemson after being shut out in five straight games.

Okay since I care about you guys (debatable) I made this list, it took a few minutes but probably worth it. We can debate the rankings amongst us, list provided with my commentary and done in order so my comments are in alphabetical order.

Boston College: New Mexico, Villanova, USC, Army (doesn't seem hard at all)
Clemson: Georgia, South Carolina State, The Citadel, South Carolina (hard to judge two FCS, two tough teams IMO, this will probably be one of the toughest ones I would think)
Duke: NCCU, Memphis, Troy, Navy (probably the worst, only guessing with 11 left though)
Florida State: Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, Idaho, Florida (not hard at all)
Georgia Tech: Elon, BYU, Alabama A&M, Georgia (not too bad...easier than Clemson and has two FCS schools)
Maryland: Florida International, Old Dominion, Uconn, West Virginia (not hard at all)
Miami: Florida Atlantic, Florida, Savannah State, South Florida (probably one of the more difficult with USF and Florida)
North Carolina: South Carolina, MTSU, East Carolina, Old Dominion (not hard at all)
N.C. State: La. Tech, Richmond, Central Michigan, East Carolina (not a single 'BCS' school - embarrassing)
Pittsburgh: New Mexico, Old Dominion, Navy, Notre Dame (not too hard)
Syracuse: Wagner, Tulane, Penn State, Northwestern (weird schedule, two 'BCS' schools at least)
Virginia: BYU, Oregon, VMI, Ball State
Virginia Tech: Alabama, Western Carolina, East Carolina, Marshall
Wake Forest: Presbyterian, ULM, Army, Vandy

Wake's schedule isn't top 4 this year by any means IMO. It's so hard to compare schedules with two hard games and two easy games with schedules that have an FCS, a semi-easy game, a harder game, and a very hard game.

Last edited:
Right. But as you and I and others have noted it is a rare down year for us. And I would say the conference as a whole generally has scheduled harder this year than most.

One thing that affects us versus some others is we don't have a built in tough OOC team we play every year, though Vandy may be becoming that. I think we do a good job of scheduling in the absence of an annual set-in-stone, top-tier opponent

Last edited:
FSU had 2 FCS teams last year because UWVa backed out. Duke had 2 in '09. You can't schedule OOC games until the ACC schedule is posted. We were caught at the end scrambling for an opponent last year when we got ULM for a home-and-home. Syracuse and Duke were sent scrambling too. Right now we have 5 OOC games scheduled for next year (ULM 8/30, NIU 9/13, Army 9/20, ND 11/8, and Vandy 11/29) N Illinois will probably be the one to be dropped. Vandy, Indiana and Army are scheduled for 2015. The fourth spot will be filled by some cupcake. A pattern has been a FSC school, two mid level BCS schools and a service academy. It's no gauntlet, but it's respectable.

Back