• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Does Wake Forest make a bowl game in 2013-2014?

Does Wake go bowling this year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's so LOWF that Wake fans can get excited about 6 wins, especially going up against the likes of Presbyterian, BC, LA-Monroe, Army, and Duke. So sad.

It's pretty straightforward though in theory. Make a bowl get more recruits coach them better win more down the road. We just didnt capitalize after the fresh deacs. I blame coaching philosophy.

It's so LOWF that Wake fans can get excited about 6 wins, especially going up against the likes of Presbyterian, BC, LA-Monroe, Army, and Duke. So sad.

Must have missed where the poll asked who would be excited about going 6-6.

Personally I like these polls. The naysayer folk get to go on record saying things like 5 wins is the absolute ceiling for this team, and optimists get to throw out ideas like 9-10 wins. Makes it easier to see which posters let their bitterness or adoration for the Grobe/Lobo/Wellman/[Redacted] regime to cloud their judgment the most.

To me it'll always be mainly about the players - with a senior QB and considering how many players we return I expect us to be improved. If we can stay healthy I'd expect a lot of improvement. 5 win floor and 8 win ceiling sounds about right given the schedule. I'll say 7-5 with a bowl game, which wouldn't be too exciting.

It's pretty straightforward though in theory. Make a bowl get more recruits coach them better win more down the road. We just didnt capitalize after the fresh deacs. I blame coaching philosophy.

This worked well after the Seattle Bowl and didn't work at all after the Orange Bowl.

I think it's fair to say that this year's team will be better than last year's team and the schedules are probably similar (I think this year is a little easier actually).

It sucks we lost the last three games of last year by a million points total, but it shouldn't have any effect on this year.
6-6 isn't that good, it's will we make a bowl that is the question.

Some Grobe facts:

Seasons ended with a 3 game losing streak: 2003, 2004
Seasons ended with one win in the last 5+ games: 2009 (1-5), 2010 (1-9), 2011 (1-5), 2012 (1-4)

Nice find on the end of year stats, PH. I think Grobe has lost his mojo. If you saw the ESPN film on Valvano, after NCSU won the NC in '83, he stopped being a coach and became a celebrity. Maybe the same has happened to Grobe. None of these recent teams have been as mentally tough as the '06 team.

I would kinda like to see Grobe have a 8 win season, finish over .500 at Wake and with the school record for all-time wins, and then ride off into the sunset.

Nice find on the end of year stats, PH. I think Grobe has lost his mojo. If you saw the ESPN film on Valvano, after NCSU won the NC in '83, he stopped being a coach and became a celebrity. Maybe the same has happened to Grobe. None of these recent teams have been as mentally tough as the '06 team.

Who knows? I just wish Grobe or Wellman would admit that our poor finishes are a problem. I don't think I've ever seen either one of them even mention the trend or discuss solutions to the problem. If I'm wrong, please post some examples. Even on this board, it often gets brushed off as "well the schedule gets more difficult" as if failure to beat all but the worst teams isn't a big problem.

For the record, here are the teams we have beaten for that one win at the end of the last 4 seasons:
2009 - Duke 5-7 (3-5) (Duke ended on a 4 game losing streak)
2010 - Vandy 2-10
2011 - Maryland 2-10 (1-7)
2012 - Boston College 2-10 (1-7)

I think it's fair to say that this year's team will be better than last year's team and the schedules are probably similar (I think this year is a little easier actually).

It sucks we lost the last three games of last year by a million points total, but it shouldn't have any effect on this year.

6-6 isn't that good, it's will we make a bowl that is the question.

Heh?

We got absolutely hammered in Raleigh last year. I realize the game is in WS this year but I just don't see us being that much improved to where we beat State.

State always has a tough time playing at BB&T and they have a new qb. We get them pretty early as well which is why I am confident.

The ceiling of this team is five wins. At BC, and at Army are to me likely Ls. La-Monroe is not a sure win. We could easily start off 1-3. The level of this program has declined substantially since 06-08. Most of the other teams we play close are going in the opposite direction from us, and I give them the edge. The recruiting hole we've dug would take years to climb out of if we were actually recruiting well, which we aren't. I don't look for the trend of the last four years to abate.

Recruiting has been nowhere near as bad as you are making it sound the last few years. On paper the recruiting looks much better than it did during Grobe's glory days here.

Exactly. My point was that we're far too shitty to think that almost any game (except maybe Presby, oh wait we beat FUCKING LIBERTY by 3 points) is a gimme. Hell I bet Duke beats us by double digits this year.

I'll stick with my original prediction of 4-8 but could easily be talked into 2 or 3 wins.

And I 100% agree with Amanda Bynes' post a couple above me, I'd rather us go 0-12 than 4-8 or 5-7. In the words of my personal diety DV7, this AD needs to be burnt to the fucking ground. Kill everyone and start over.

Why would Duke beat us by double digits this year. They lost 17 starters off a team that barely beat us and barely went bowling last year? We are in the position they were in last year now.

Recruiting has been nowhere near as bad as you are making it sound the last few years. On paper the recruiting looks much better than it did during Grobe's glory days here.

Two things:

On field results suggest otherwise.

There are more 3* players overall than 10+ years ago. Every school looks better on paper as a result.

Who knows? I just wish Grobe or Wellman would admit that our poor finishes are a problem. I don't think I've ever seen either one of them even mention the trend or discuss solutions to the problem. If I'm wrong, please post some examples. Even on this board, it often gets brushed off as "well the schedule gets more difficult" as if failure to beat all but the worst teams isn't a big problem.

For the record, here are the teams we have beaten for that one win at the end of the last 4 seasons:
2009 - Duke 5-7 (3-5) (Duke ended on a 4 game losing streak)
2010 - Vandy 2-10
2011 - Maryland 2-10 (1-7)
2012 - Boston College 2-10 (1-7)

well part of the problem for us is injuries..by seasons end our starters are banged up and unlike every other acc team we can't replace them. but i do think it's a serious problem yes. idk if it's all on coach grobe though.

Two things:

On field results suggest otherwise.

There are more 3* players overall than 10+ years ago. Every school looks better on paper as a result.

I won't even go there as far as 5* players go. But I wonder how many 4*s we've recruited over the last ten years.

Actually, I don't really wonder. I think I know.

well part of the problem for us is injuries..by seasons end our starters are banged up and unlike every other acc team we can't replace them. but i do think it's a serious problem yes. idk if it's all on coach grobe though.

Redshirting is supposed to help overcome depth issues by having experienced players ready to play.

And every team has injuries. Our best season was an injury riddled season.

True, but we got REALLY lucky regarding one of those injuries.

Yep, we thought the season was over and it was just beginning!

At least at QB we have more depth than then. And, perhaps we have a wr who can play rb?

Yep, we thought the season was over and it was just beginning!

At least at QB we have more depth than then. And, perhaps we have a wr who can play rb?

Shit, Camp can only do so much.

As long as Tanner is our QB, our success is dependent on the o-line. I see no reason to believe the o-line will be any better than it was last season so no bowl.

Back