• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

Axios: Giuliani says Trump asked him to brief Justice Department, GOP senators on Ukraine trip

Zachary Basu5 hours ago
Rudy Giuliani told the Washington Post Tuesday that President Trump has asked him to brief the Justice Department and Republican senators on his recent trip to Ukraine, where he sought to gather information that he believes could undermine the case for impeachment.

Why it matters: Trump has claimed that he never directed Giuliani to dig up dirt on his political rivals in Ukraine, but told reporters last week Giuliani has "a lot of good information" and was going to "make a report" to present to Congress and Attorney General Bill Barr. Giuliani said he hopes to have the report done by the end of the week.

Yes, but: It's far from evident that either the Justice Department or Republican senators want to hear from Giuliani, whose shadow campaign to pressure Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election has landed Trump days away from becoming the third impeached president in U.S. history.

Senate Judiciary Chair Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told the Post that he has no plans for Giuliani to appear before his committee.

Attorney General Bill Barr has also warned Trump in recent weeks that Giuliani — who is under criminal investigation in the Southern District of New York — has become a liability, the Post reported on Sunday.
The big picture: Giuliani told the Post that he has committed no crimes and that the federal investigation he's facing is "unfair" and "vindictive."

“I believe that the leaks and the investigation is intended to intimidate me as the president’s lawyer. I am fully confident that I did not commit any crimes of any kind. They’re going after the wrong guy. The more they try to intimidate me, the more I think, I better go get additional evidence.”

Axios: Giuliani says Trump asked him to brief Justice Department, GOP senators on Ukraine trip

Zachary Basu5 hours ago
Rudy Giuliani told the Washington Post Tuesday that President Trump has asked him to brief the Justice Department and Republican senators on his recent trip to Ukraine, where he sought to gather information that he believes could undermine the case for impeachment.

Why it matters: Trump has claimed that he never directed Giuliani to dig up dirt on his political rivals in Ukraine, but told reporters last week Giuliani has "a lot of good information" and was going to "make a report" to present to Congress and Attorney General Bill Barr. Giuliani said he hopes to have the report done by the end of the week.

Yes, but: It's far from evident that either the Justice Department or Republican senators want to hear from Giuliani, whose shadow campaign to pressure Ukraine to investigate the Bidens and the 2016 election has landed Trump days away from becoming the third impeached president in U.S. history.

Senate Judiciary Chair Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told the Post that he has no plans for Giuliani to appear before his committee.

Attorney General Bill Barr has also warned Trump in recent weeks that Giuliani — who is under criminal investigation in the Southern District of New York — has become a liability, the Post reported on Sunday.
The big picture: Giuliani told the Post that he has committed no crimes and that the federal investigation he's facing is "unfair" and "vindictive."

“I believe that the leaks and the investigation is intended to intimidate me as the president’s lawyer. I am fully confident that I did not commit any crimes of any kind. They’re going after the wrong guy. The more they try to intimidate me, the more I think, I better go get additional evidence.”

Either Rudy is just incredibly stupid (very, very possible) or Rudy has learned/is assuming that Trump is planning to throw him under the bus now that impeachment has officially happened.

Maybe Rudy has the names of all the women Trump bought abortions for over the years.

Right about now is the time Trump orders a hit on Rudy.

Either Rudy is just incredibly stupid (very, very possible) or Rudy has learned/is assuming that Trump is planning to throw him under the bus now that impeachment has officially happened.

Remember that Trump wants a big drama trial while McConnell is trying to convince him that a big show is bad for him because the evidence is against him. Trump and Giuliani are true believers.

Remember that Trump wants a big drama trial while McConnell is trying to convince him that a big show is bad for him because the evidence is against him. Trump and Giuliani are true believers.

Good thing Republicans will do the principled think and vote to remove

They should turn in into a Seinfeld-esque finale trial where every person Trump has ever fucked over becomes a character witness. Trial would last until the election.

Republicans consider skipping witnesses in Trump impeachment trial

Senate Republicans are weighing a speedy impeachment trial that could include no witnesses for President Trump’s legal team or for House Democrats.
The discussions come as the House is moving forward with articles of impeachment against Trump, teeing up a trial in the Senate that would start in January.

The White House has indicated publicly that it has a wish list of potential witnesses, including House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Hunter Biden and the whistleblower who sparked the impeachment inquiry.

But Republican senators, including Trump allies and members of leadership, appear reluctant to drag themselves through a drawn-out trial with messy procedural votes when the outcome appears pre-baked.

“I think a protracted period where there are motions to call witnesses offered by both sides and lots of votes … is not going to be terribly popular with either side. I think there’s going to be a desire to wrap this up in at least somewhat of a timely way,” Sen. John Thune (S.D.), the No. 2 Republican senator, told reporters.

He added that while a final decision won’t be made until closer to the trial, “there’s going to be a lot of people who I think are going to say, ‘I don’t really want to drag this on.’”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) asked about the possibility of a Senate trial where neither side got witnesses, replied: “I hope so. That’s what I like.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...skipping-witnesses-in-trump-impeachment-trial

You know the GOP’s defense is bad when they don’t want to call any witnesses. Dems should go full steam ahead on calling as many as possible. Make senators like Susan Collins vote against calling someone like John Bolton or Sondland as a witness. That will look great to the public.

i don't know how much say John Roberts will actually have in the Senate trial, but as others have noted, he seems pretty concerned with his personal legacy. I can't imagine he is too keen on presiding over a kangaroo trial with no witnesses called, and he doesn't have to run in any Republican primary elections. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

i don't know how much say John Roberts will actually have in the Senate trial, but as others have noted, he seems pretty concerned with his personal legacy. I can't imagine he is too keen on presiding over a kangaroo trial with no witnesses called, and he doesn't have to run in any Republican primary elections. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

you know, unless Kompromat is involved

Sadly there only seems to be two sides. The process is a sham or the process shows he’s guilty. There’s no real desire for a process to show he is not guilty. Republicans have stonewalled impeachment and guaranteed a Republican President will never be removed from office.

It will be interesting to see how Romney votes. If he votes for Trump, will he change his name to Neville Quisling?

There just doesn’t seem to be a clear distinction of power between Roberts and Moscow Mitch. There’s no way in hell Moscow Mitch is ceding anything.

There just doesn’t seem to be a clear distinction of power between Roberts and Moscow Mitch. There’s no way in hell Moscow Mitch is ceding anything.

They had Trent Lott and Tom Daschle on All Things Considered last week, talking about how they came up with the rules for the Clinton trial. Probably revisionist history, but now they say that it went pretty smoothly despite their differences and both sides were more or less happy with what was decided, and they became great friends as a result. Can't see that happening now.

They had Trent Lott and Tom Daschle on All Things Considered last week, talking about how they came up with the rules for the Clinton trial. Probably revisionist history, but now they say that it went pretty smoothly despite their differences and both sides were more or less happy with what was decided, and they became great friends as a result. Can't see that happening now.

The rubes would flip out at the very idea of having Shumer at the table to discuss rules.

Back