• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Impeachment

I would like to think some Pub Senators would be relieved if Bolton testified and destroyed the truly reprehensible human being they are being forced to protect. At least they'd have a very public reason for abandoning him.

I would like to think.

Democrats have been handing them a lifeline and they refuse to take it. If they had gotten on board there would have been enough time to force Trump to resign, lock him up and take away his phone, hold primaries, and rebuild the party. They didn’t take it.

Now they’re subjecting themselves to 9+ months of a steady drip of revelation when people will actual be paying attention.

I would like to think some Pub Senators would be relieved if Bolton testified and destroyed the truly reprehensible human being they are being forced to protect. At least they'd have a very public reason for abandoning him.

I would like to think.

Lol, “forced to protect”...

Democrats have been handing them a lifeline and they refuse to take it. If they had gotten on board there would have been enough time to force Trump to resign, lock him up and take away his phone, hold primaries, and rebuild the party. They didn’t take it.

Now they’re subjecting themselves to 9+ months of a steady drip of revelation when people will actual be paying attention.

As you have said correctly here several times, this is all about staying in power for as long as humanly possible.

Also notable in that letter is the reference to the nondisclosure agreement, which apparently Trump has all of his subordinates sign.

I’m am pretty sure you can’t have government employees sign NDAs.

I would like to think.

I would like to think that President Hatch and AD Currie would be relieved if we were able to fire Coach Manning and hire a good basketball coach.

I would like to think.

Of course, all the evidence is to the contrary, so whatever.

This is what makes some senators feel blindsided? The surprises and trickery don't stop. It's as if they don't realize its only going to get worse. The only real question is when does the whole truth come out. Weeks? Months? Years? I guess more accurately is when will enough truth come out. I'm sure the history books will keep getting revisions for years to come but the naive side of me keeps saying that had the republicans dumped trump prior to the house impeachment inquiry they would have been able to write a rube narrative that kept them in power with a neutered pence that owed them everything. "Sorry rubes. This is what really happened. Trump is crooked but you'll keep getting judges and we'll keep owning the libs."

Of course Republicans don’t want any new witness, testimony, or evidence. In their impeachment umm, cough, trial.

It’s so much easier to just prattle on about the insufficiency of the house investigation. Which, while lacking a good bit, has already revealed more than enough to establish Trump’s guilt.

Of course, instead of lying endlessly about their concerns over the deficiencies of the house investigation they can simply and easily remedy their alleged concerns by issuing their own subpoenas, etc.

If they were really concerned.

I would like to think.

How would this help them? What information could possibly come out of this that would lead conservative voters to turn on Trump? It’s time to learn the lessons of 2016. Lesson number 1, rubes do not care. We had the guy ON TAPE talking about grabbing women by the pussy and conservative religious leaders were dismissing it as a concern. Conservative voters have no values but power. I used to try to reel him Ph in when we would start to go toward that ledge, but Republicans kept and keep proving him to be absolutely right.

Interesting, although, without studying the issue, I don’t think it’s quite as clear cut as the article makes it out to be. Rule 5 doesn’t state specifically that the Chief has the power to issue “subpoenas.” Instead, it says he may issue “orders, mandates, writs, and precepts.” Does that include subpoenas? Maybe. A subpoena is arguably a mandate, writ or a precept (it doesn’t seem like an order, although maybe that too), but it raises the question — why didn’t the authors of the Rules refer to subpoenas specifically in Rule 5? They knew how to, because Rule 25 (the article wrongly says Rule 24) specifically mentions subpoenas. Does their omission from the list of things the Chief has authority to issue indicate that he doesn’t have that authority?

Further, the resolution that governed the Clinton impeachment clearly empowered the Senate to vote on witnesses. I could see Roberts possibly concluding that, in light of the ambiguity in the Rules, he has to defer to precedent and the current resolution, which, like the Clinton one, delegates authority to the senate.

Oh thank god. His legacy is intact. I thought he would actually have to do something. Thankfully, he can lawyer away his responsibility and rise above.

If you want Donald Trump to take a dump in a golden box and mark it guaranteed he'll do it, he's got spare time

Where does this notion that Roberts cares about his own personal legacy come from? At least in his public statements, he’s said he cares about the continuing authority of the Court.

In any event, in our system, federal judges are supposed to follow the law, not do what they think is “right.” I know that is very difficult for a liberal to understand.

wasn't it you droning on before the trial about how concerned Roberts was about his legacy and wouldn't let a farce happen under his watch?

wasn't it you droning on before the trial about how concerned Roberts was about his legacy and wouldn't let a farce happen under his watch?

edit: went back and searched posts and it seems to be other posters saying this (Ass Turtles, Cav, Numbers, 923). but there seems to be some prevailing thought about this being the case.

It’s just armchair psychologizing based on his statements about the authority of the Court. But I appreciate that when libs say it, it is the “prevailing thought” but when a conservative says it it is “droning on.” That’s a nice touch.

Cav for one is def not liberal

This is what makes some senators feel blindsided? The surprises and trickery don't stop. It's as if they don't realize its only going to get worse. The only real question is when does the whole truth come out. Weeks? Months? Years? I guess more accurately is when will enough truth come out. I'm sure the history books will keep getting revisions for years to come but the naive side of me keeps saying that had the republicans dumped trump prior to the house impeachment inquiry they would have been able to write a rube narrative that kept them in power with a neutered pence that owed them everything. "Sorry rubes. This is what really happened. Trump is crooked but you'll keep getting judges and we'll keep owning the libs."

Basically a new version of what they did after Watergate. Almost all of them stuck with Nixon until the very last minute when they didn’t. And then they retold history as if they were principled.

Where does this notion that Roberts cares about his own personal legacy come from? At least in his public statements, he’s said he cares about the continuing authority of the Court.

In any event, in our system, federal judges are supposed to follow the law, not do what they think is “right.” I know that is very difficult for a liberal to understand.

Conservative judges literally do what they think is “right” as in conservative.

You haven’t explained how the continuing authority of the court would be diminished if Roberts is a rubber stamp for conservative beliefs and conservative rule. How will the continuing authority of the court suffer if Roberts and Trump judges in lower courts pave the way for Republican minority rule though gerrymandering, voter suppression, etc? You even state above that what liberals think shouldn’t matter. So why shouldn’t the Roberts court go all in to protect Trump?

Last edited:
Back