• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Trump and the GOP, I Want my Party Back

You are grasping at straws. You refuse to deal with facts and historical events. You refuse to admit that many of the same people made promises last time and broke them.

You talk about theoretical positives. I showed you factual negatives and stream of broken promises.

There's no sense continuing. You don't want to deal with real world facts.

You are grasping at straws. You refuse to deal with facts and historical events. You refuse to admit that many of the same people made promises last time and broke them.

You talk about theoretical positives. I showed you factual negatives and stream of broken promises.

There's no sense continuing. You don't want to deal with real world facts.

If I grasp at a straw, it's because I am thirsty and ready for a beverage.

Otherwise, I am in need of logic beyond what you have been able to provide. I do appreciate your attempts, however. It has been fun.

I gave you actual historical facts from what happened the last time this was offered. There's reason for any theories when you have facts. The facts speak for themselves.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you had and interest in discussing something of substance in a rational way. I was wrong. You were simply trolling again.

To knowell's credit the companies didn't slash jobs because of the inflow of cash. They may have broken promises (I haven't read the article) and the impact of the tax holiday may have been negligible but I don't see how bringing cash back would cause a negative.

To knowell's credit the companies didn't slash jobs because of the inflow of cash. They may have broken promises (I haven't read the article) and the impact of the tax holiday may have been negligible but I don't see how bringing cash back would cause a negative.
There wasn't a "promise". Companies had to demonstrate that they used the repatriated funds for investment or to pay off debt. But that is something that's pretty easy to do with a large diverse company. Kind of the same way that a non-profit can always work around restrictions of donated funds to certain activities.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I get NE Deac. I grew up fairly conservative, voted for Bush in 04 and McCain in 08. Then I helped out a HS buddy who was working for the Lt Gov of SC (law school job) and attended the SC GOP convention in 09.

Holy Fucking shit, I have never been in a room with worse people. Everyone there was bat shit crazy or fake as shit. Including Sanford and Haley. I walked out of that room and swore off the GOP the next day.

Last edited:
I get NE Deac. I grew up fairly conservative, voted for Bush in 04 and McCain in 08. Then I helped out a HS buddy who was working for the Lt Gov of SC (law school job) and attended the SC GOP convention in 09.

Holy Fucking shit, I have never been in a room with worse people. Everyone there was bat shit crazy or fake as shit. Including Sanford and Haley. I walked out of that room and swore off the GOP the next day.

Oh man I know that feeling all too well. Between the Ann Coulter speech, an awards dinner for Phyllis Schaffly and several trips to CPAC (i.e. conservative comi-con)...absolute crazy town.

It wasn't that no positives came out of it. Many bad things happened. It was a mutil-billion dollar give-away.

Why not let people who make $1M+ pay no taxes? It's basically what you want to do.

What we need is a flatter tax--15% lowest bracket, say $50,000 minimum so $7500 and take out most if not all deductions. $100,000 will be $15,000 and go up to a 25% top tax bracket. Take out all deductions to be tax revenue neutral! We need ALL people to have skin in the game.

Brasky and Newengland, could you talk a little more about that? I have little experience in spaces like that. Any experience I do have is colored by being a black guy surrounded by white people who I'm sure hold their tongue somewhat around me.

What we need is a flatter tax--15% lowest bracket, say $50,000 minimum so $7500 and take out most if not all deductions. $100,000 will be $15,000 and go up to a 25% top tax bracket. Take out all deductions to be tax revenue neutral! We need ALL people to have skin in the game.

With your brackets, you make those making $50-250,000 pay for giving high earners a huge tax break. What a great idea it is to take money out of the pockets of those who drive the economy.

If you think we have deficits now, they will be tip money compared to your plan.

Brasky and Newengland, could you talk a little more about that? I have little experience in spaces like that. Any experience I do have is colored by being a black guy surrounded by white people who I'm sure hold their tongue somewhat around me.

The uber conservative events like CPAC are pretty cultish. It typically attracts younger activist types and college republicans and you typically overhear the same regurgitated Sean Hannity talking points. T-shirts and hats with semi-witty statements about the left can be seen just about everywhere too. We only attended a reception or two at CPAC each year to drum up business so I can't really speak to the more formal parts of the event. Ann Coulter was exactly what you would expect... lots of anti immigration talk and liberal bashing in front of preppy North Carolina college kids who were eating up every word.

Actually looking back that awards dinner was in recognition of Paul Weyrich not Schaffly (she happened to be there) and overall wasn't that crazy. I was a little out of place given that just about everyone was 50 or over but the event was all old school GOP operatives and activists...lots of talk about the Gipper, William Buckley and National Review. Looking back, we could use a dose of their sanity (minus the social platform).

ETA: I'm sure Democrats have similar versions of the gatherings above so I don't think it's a Republican thing as much as it is a politics thing.

Last edited:
You realize this would cause massive financial distress/bankruptcy among our poorest?

It's always nice to see people who hate taxes get real and show that they don't actually hate taxes. They just think other people should be paying more taxes.

Way, way off. Get yourself a #Alllivesmatter shirt, tell folks the Great Society was a failure, mention bootstraps, and you will have theReffs and simos of the world lining up to give you blowjobs in the bathroom of whatever Howard Johnson the conference is held in.

All you need is four or five good one-liners (immigrants, guns, freeloaders, War on something, etc.), and you'll be the next Ben Carson.

Way, way off. Get yourself a #Alllivesmatter shirt, tell folks the Great Society was a failure, mention bootstraps, and you will have theReffs and simos of the world lining up to give you blowjobs in the bathroom of whatever Howard Johnson the conference is held in.

Like the Sheriff from Milwaukee. Which is derived from Millheewahkay, Algonquin for 'the good land.'

You realize this would cause massive financial distress/bankruptcy among our poorest?

Also by ending all deductions, the value of homes would tank immediately. Millions of families would have to sell their homes for losses. Millions of kids wouldn't be able to continue or go to college without even more debt. Hundreds of thousands or more small businesses will not be able to be funded.

Like most RW bumper sticker designed policies, ending all deductions would be a disaster to American families and the economy.

Last edited:
"Quote Originally Posted by knowell View Post
Do you, like RJ, also believe that lowering the tax rate causes corporations to cut jobs?"

I NEVER said anything like this. As usual, Knowell is trolling and lying.

What I did say was the last time there was a "tax holiday" jobs were lost and promises of what corporations were going to do with the money were broken.

Back