• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't blame the messenger! - Marc with a C saying Buzz is Back!

Dude is also just not a good person. I'd hate it if we got Alford, but I guess UCLA would be more enjoyable to watch at least.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if we even looked at Alford, that's pretty much proof that the culture stuff is bullshit. What he did at Iowa with that sexual assault situation was appalling.

I was at wake during the years that the Turner 's were there....let me just say that hiring him would be a huge mistake in my eyes. Dude was a huge douche.

Which has zero to do with whether he would be a good hire. Marshall is widely regarded to have a difficult personality and we would take him in a heartbeat.

ETA: Obviously I wouldn't want him but that has nothing to do with why.

Turner isn't in my top 3, but why all the hate? His responsibility at Wake was the bigs when Duncan was here. I'd say he did a pretty damn good job coaching up a 6'8 210lb freshmen into a nice little player.

Who?

The last time I looked at this thread, the final post was "Howland has been approached."

I come back 14 hours and 120 posts latter to find three pages of speculation and debate about Russell Fucking Turner.

What the fuck happened here last night?

The last time I looked at this thread, the final post was "Howland has been approached."

I come back 14 hours and 120 posts latter to find three pages of speculation and debate about Russell Fucking Turner.

What the fuck happened here last night?

I don't know, but I expect this thread (and the boards in general) to be very entertaining throughout the work day today (and until the firing/hiring saga is complete).

His responsibility at Wake was the bigs when Duncan was here. I'd say he did a pretty damn good job coaching up a 6'8 210lb freshmen into a nice little player. I'd bet he could recruit like hell off of Duncan.

My take is that he's taken a horrible program up to 94 in kenpom this year with an extremely young team that he put together. They are set up to be close to a top 50 team in year 5, which would be unheard of for UCI. The 7'6" obviously guy helps, but they were really good at 2PT FG% defense last year (18th in the country), and Turner should get credit for recruiting the four star giant.

I agree there are a bunch of red flags and he would definitely be a huge risk, but I think he could be okay. Obviously he wouldn't be my choice and I'd be disappointed if he ends up being the guy.

Stanford was #1 in the country twice while Turner was there as well.

These posts remind me of the board after Buzz was hired. We were looking for and grabbing onto any little nugget of circumstantial evidence that he might actually be a good coach so that we didn't have to deal with the reality of his record, experience, etc.

You guys just need to chill. The herd mentality here is absurd. The Clawson search, hire and rollout has been as well-done as anything the Ath Dept has done in a long time. You guys would depress a bride on her wedding day.

Herb Sendek being mentioned again on Atlanta sports radio. He is established and took State to five straight tournaments.

Sendek would be an awful hire. In 8 years at Arizona State he's been to the tournament once, when he had a top 5 pick on the team. Despite James Harden, they still only finished #5 in the Pac 10, with 22 regular season wins despite a OOC schedule comparable to Wake's this year.

No support for b-ball at ASU. At a basketball school like Wake he could soar.

Sendek would be an awful hire. In 8 years at Arizona State he's been to the tournament once, when he had a top 5 pick on the team. Despite James Harden, they still only finished #5 in the Pac 10, with 22 regular season wins despite a OOC schedule comparable to Wake's this year.

LOL - I don't. He would not be in my Top 5 for our job - maybe … maybe Top 10, but not going to dig that deep to rank. As a player developer, he did a pretty good job with our bigs for the years he was here working with GDO. I just don't think he deserves the negativity he's getting if idiot Wellman really wants to consider him.

Agree with this. At the time I remember hearing from people (I think Odom himself actually) about Turner being key in Duncan's development, and I seem to remember the players liking him a lot. "Crazy Russ" I think is what they all called him. Like you I wouldn't want him in the top 5 or 7, but to me he is better than Mooney and some of the other bums being speculated about.

I'm angry with myself for reading this thread. Herb Sendek. Haha... What a joke.

If there was a person out there who could legitimately claim to have developed Tim Duncan from a skinny kid from the VI into one of the greatest college players of all-time, he'd be doing a lot more than coaching at UC-Irvine.

I think the career trajectories of Tim Duncan post-Wake compared to anybody who ever coached him are a pretty strong indication that Tim Duncan is responsible for his own greatness.

Hmmm, so it's fucking "bootstraps" after all...

Ain't nobody subsidizing them hoop skills.

Turner isn't in my top 3, but why all the hate? His responsibility at Wake was the bigs when Duncan was here. I'd say he did a pretty damn good job coaching up a 6'8 210lb freshmen into a nice little player. I'd bet he could recruit like hell off of Duncan.

Duncan was 6'8" his freshman year? I always thought he was at least 6'10" while at Wake.

I made a post about Marc James at the exact time this thread was started, but I put it in another thread because I didn't think it was threadworthy. 200 posts later, here we are.

Back