• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't blame the messenger! - Marc with a C saying Buzz is Back!

The whole "replacement and offer" thing would be counter to every other coaching search I have ever seen.

And I understand that Newenglanddeac is not vouching for its accuracy.

Haven't we already seen a so-called coaching search (and hire) that defies all rationality?

If there is any truth to the "found and offered" rumor, it certainly cannot be any of the non-Howland candidates this board has identified. Any candidate we should have any interest in will be in the NCAAT and shouldn't want to adulterate that experience with talk of leaving for Wake. I see this rumor as very worrisome news.

Here's [Redacted]'s record against teams in the top-100 :

2011 : 2-18 (.100)
2012 : 1-12 (.070)
2013 : 4-11 (.267)
2014 : 7-12 (.368)

Total: 14-53 (.208)

I try to not post statistics with much subjectivity, but these are what I consider 'real games'. There's a hell of a progression there, but holy smokes, the thought of retaining a coach who is hovering around the Mendoza-line in actual contests after 4 years is almost as absurd as retaining a guy who was quite a bit below that after 3.

He's gone. Search process has been in process for weeks. Don't worry, other than, no big name replacement.

SoExcited.gif

lucille-bluth-flail.gif

By virtue of scheduling, [Redacted] has been given 6 more almost guaranteed wins PER SEASON than his predecessors.

Now, take a look back at [Redacted]'s 'results' with that in mind.

Sooo if we had a normal schedule

2-30
7-24
7-24
10-20

21-98 my what a program we have had the last four years.

Talk of Bz somehow getting/deserving another year is completely LOWF. Beating Duke at home is great, but it should happen more often than not.

Bz was already coming back this year when last year's Miami win happened. That just gave Wellman some cover / talking points.

Bz is gone. Just a matter of when the announcement is made. I don't know who the replacement will be, but I think it is safe to say it won't be Marshall (my choice), Shaka, or Howland. Not a big name... More of an up and comer.

I don't know who the replacement will be, but I think it is safe to say it won't be Marshall (my choice), Shaka, or Howland. Not a big name... More of an up and comer.

So you're telling me it could be Masiello?

I wouldn't be shocked if we take another look at Alford.

I wouldn't be shocked if we take another look at Alford.

Seriously? How is that even possible?

Not trying to be a jerk, because I often times agree with you... But what is the logic? He's been at UCLA for a year.

Wellman can't afford a shit hire

He fucked himself with buzz

Hit a homer Papa Ron or face our wrath

Sooo if we had a normal schedule

2-30
7-24
7-24
10-20

21-98 my what a program we have had the last four years.

well, to be fair, he's won 20% of top-100 games, so you can tack on 1.25 wins to each year of your win totals, but yeah... not much better.

FWIW, I spoke to a friend this morning who has a pretty good connection to the BOT and big donors. Any way, he was told we've already identified a replacement and made an offer. Supposedly that got back to [Redacted] which prompted the recent meeting and speculation.

Any way, whether it's coming from a radio show or a friend of a friend, it's all complete conjecture until an announcement is made.

Personally, I'm not too worried if the report of him walking off the court immediately after last night's win is true. Unless he was trying to channel his inner Herb Brooks (clearly no way this is possible), that just doesn't seem normal for a coach who just had his biggest win of his WFU career. It seems more normal for someone who knows it's over and is ready to move on.

Keep in mind that there is "normal" for Buzz and then there's "normal" for everyone else.

Last edited:
Back