• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't Call it a Comeback: That Asshole Mitt Romney

I was talking about this with my wife the other day.

We constantly criticize reasonable candidates for being boring or dorky or tools, but then get candidates who spice things up way, way too much. See: Trump.

I think I'm okay with timid, meek, and dorky technocrats, honestly.
I don't think it is unreasonable to have high expectations of people running for the POTUS. I mean it's only the most important on the planet.

Last edited:
There is a reason why Romney didn't endorse Rubio or Cruz. He wants everyone else to work together to block Trump so that he can swoop into the convention and back into the nomination without doing any work to get it.

Romney is a piece of shit. It takes one hell of a nerve for Romney to bring up the topic of disclosing tax returns.

These GOP establishment guys are destroying the Republican Party while Trump has been bringing in millions of new Republican voters.

yes

I think the GOP establishment is terrified of Trump. They view him, rightfully so in my opinion, as a total clown and a con artist.

They have gotten what they deserve. He is just an extension of talk radio and chain email politics. Now they have to deal with Frankenstein's monster.

I was talking about this with my wife the other day.

We constantly criticize reasonable candidates for being boring or dorky or tools, but then get candidates who spice things up way, way too much. See: Trump.

I think I'm okay with timid, meek, and dorky technocrats, honestly.

But that's different than a tool.

Pretty sure Mitt is just doing the GOP establishment a solid here. I doubt he's angling for a nomination.

I agree; Mitt took one for the Party and in my mind did it well. If he only showed those balls 4 years ago he might of beaten Obama. Will it make any difference to the Trumpers already lined behind Dump, likely not. Hopefully it will push more moderate Pubs, away.

I agree; Mitt took one for the Party and in my mind did it well. If he only showed those balls 4 years ago he might of beaten Obama. Will it make any difference to the Trumpers already lined behind Dump, likely not. Hopefully it will push more moderate Pubs, away.

If Romney didn't have any selfish personal reasons for doing this, why didn't he endorse either Rubio or Cruz.....or why didn't he take the opportunity to rule himself out as a potential "compromise" candidate at the convention?

Yep. Romney is doing for the GOP what sitting Senators and Congressmen, who want to be re-elected, can't.

The bottom line is that Romney and the rest of the Republican establishment are telling Republican voters that they are stupid and that they should just be loyal subjects and vote as the establishment tells them to vote.

Romney is clearly not an angry enough white man to get bkf's vote.

I'm guessing this is about getting Paul Ryan the nomination, though I think Mitt wants to keep his options open. I do think there are some deep feels between the Ryans and Romneys.

Romney says he will endorse someone after March 15. If he fails to follow up on this I'll believe he actually wants the endorsement at the Convention. If he endorses someone, I think it's just predominantly that he was doing the GOP establishment a solid. I think it's 80% doing GOP a solid, 20% he figured he could do the GOP a solid AND keep his own options open.

I don't think it is unreasonable to have high expectations of people running for the POTUS. I mean it's only the most important on the planet.

Too many people disagree with you, which is how we end up twice electing an intellectual midget because people thought they could have a beer with him.

Was weird to contrast Mitt and Trump on the same day. Mitt was polished and had a presidential presence while Trump was a complete mess lashing out in a sophomoric way. Was like a bad remake of Caddyshack. People rooted for Rodney Dangerfield over Ted Knight, but neither were perceived as potential world leaders. Nobody forced Mitt to court and accept Trump's endorsement when Trump was hardly an unknown in 2012. Like his opposition to Obamacare, Mitt's an extremely flawed messenger for today's GOP. Time's passed Mitt by and he's hardly blameless for the rise of Trump.

Back