• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

I’ve heard he is frustrated with the staff and the Wake Forest Basketball situation. I think he might be thinking he would be happier to try and go pro and make some money overseas than grind out another year with Danny. Also if he went awol for two weeks wouldn’t he be missing class, thus academic eligibility has to be a concern for next season if he stays.

Can’t wait for that top 25 squad next season.

If you put the 20+ scholarship athletes that have played for Manning so far, I would put Doral at the very bottom of the list of kids whose frustration is justified. This is a kid who couldn't block a shot without fouling and couldn't make it up and down the court more than 5X in a row before getting winded. This is also a kid who barely played his last two years of high school most likely for this reason.

Possibly being frustrated with the academic and social challenges at Wake 3+ years in makes some sense, but holy hell dude. You are probably a Summer and Fall session away from a Wake degree. Suck it up. Someone has to give this guy some tough love. I don't think he has the personality for an overseas gig right now either. Needs to become a bit more demonstrative.

Has nothing to do with his (potential) frustrations being justified. It has nothing to do with being a legit NBA or euro pro prospect.

It has everything to do with his opinion, informed or not, about his situation. He could have no prospects and real frustrations about how he was used and make his decision. His improvement has been pretty impressive. All the more reason for him to feel underutilized after his hard work.

Has it been confirmed that he is hasn't returned to campus?

Just heard from a reliable source that Doral was awol for at least a week and a half after spring break, with no contact to any of the coaching staff. Can anyone confirm that he's back on campus?

Is this the other shoe dropping?

If you put the 20+ scholarship athletes that have played for Manning so far, I would put Doral at the very bottom of the list of kids whose frustration is justified. This is a kid who couldn't block a shot without fouling and couldn't make it up and down the court more than 5X in a row before getting winded. This is also a kid who barely played his last two years of high school most likely for this reason.

Possibly being frustrated with the academic and social challenges at Wake 3+ years in makes some sense, but holy hell dude. You are probably a Summer and Fall session away from a Wake degree. Suck it up. Someone has to give this guy some tough love. I don't think he has the personality for an overseas gig right now either. Needs to become a bit more demonstrative.

truth. Doral basically went 4 years in a row without any real playing time because he frankly wasn't good enough to get playing time at the top end high school level or the ACC level. AFter a lot of hard work and coaching, he became a pretty decent player his junior year, albeit with some pretty big holes in his game still. If he really wants to play professionally then another year of development with a coach whose strength is developing big men would be of paramount importance. I just don't get the mindset of a guy who has actually been good enough to get playing time in 1 of 5 seasons thinking that he is ready for pro ball. Just don't get it.

He better freaking stay. If not Manning is going to get another three year extension, because how can he be correctly evaluated with all these players leaving early? Wellman will need more time.

If you can’t keep your players that you recruited that’s on you. And I’m not talking about guys like JC who blow up into first round picks.

It seems like communication between staff and players is a major issue. The number of guys that Danny himself has brought in who aren’t sticking around is astonishing. That’s on him and the staff.

Moore had some mighty impressive stat lines in several ACC games with limited minutes as a freshman. I don't know where people get this idea that he was some project who was not ready to contribute

Moore had some mighty impressive stat lines in several ACC games with limited minutes as a freshman. I don't know where people get this idea that he was some project who was not ready to contribute

This. I’ve been frustrated with how Manning has played Moore. I can understand if Moore is frustrated.

While I am not a fan of Manning, he would not be the reason Doral might leave, he and Danny get along very well according to other team members. I blame Manning for most of the problems this team has had but Doral is not one of them.

Doral played limited minutes his first two years because he was gassed after a few minutes. There has been ongoing discussion over the last three years about Doral's lack of stamina. The minutes were much more about Doral's physical condition than Danny's decisions. Doral was way, way, way below the standard expected of incoming freshmen with respect to physical conditioning,

of all the things to criticize manning for, Doral's playing time his first two seasons is way down the list. How do you play a guy who can't run up and down the court two times without being gassed?

He also fouled a ton. He committed 8.45 fouls/40 minutes as a freshman and 9.5/40 as a sophomore.

4.5 per 40 last year.

If true, it's ironic that his leaving early would be used as an excuse to give Manning more time.

If you can’t keep your players that you recruited that’s on you. And I’m not talking about guys like JC who blow up into first round picks.

It seems like communication between staff and players is a major issue. The number of guys that Danny himself has brought in who aren’t sticking around is astonishing. That’s on him and the staff.

Agreed with numbers on this, and I think the reality of the situation is the opposite of Ph's take. In Wellman's last interview with Conor O'Neill he really didn't give any endorsement of the coaching staff and basically said he expects the team to be good if the key players are back. I think Manning's ability to retain players is very much being evaluated.

I'm on IG stalking to see what Moore's barber says!

Doral definitely entered as a project, come on guys. He was good but couldn't stay on the court without fouling. He may not have been in the same category of project as a Sarr, but he was hands down a project.

I have no problem in giving props to Danny and the staff for bringing him along, but also have no problem in criticizing them for his usage and, if he leaves, their inability to connect with guys which is increasingly becoming an issue (if not already a major red flag).

There are multiple facets to the "players leaving" circumstances.

1.Player comes to Wake, develops so much so fast that he leaves to take multi million dollar pro contract
2. Player comes to Wake, and it fairly quickly becomes obvious that the player was "reach" recruit and really would never contribute and player transfers
3. Player comes to Wake, fails to embrace the "student" part of student-athlete and doesn't go to class/turn in required academic work. Player transfers
4. Player has or develops disciplinary issues and is "asked" to leave.
5. Player comes to Wake, is a significant contributor. Player transfers.

Category 1 guys, well that is the way the NCAA/NBA situation is today. Can't fault either player or coach when the player has an opportunity for life-changing money and takes it.

Category 2 guys- most coaches have some "project" guys. Too many are a problem. Usually they transfer to lower level schools. Some have success there, some don't. The forced redshirt year is helpful for many of these guys. They need the year to mature.

Category 3 guys. Wake is not for everybody, especially academically. Some guys don't realize what they are getting into at Wake, even when told.

Category 4 guys, who have and/or develop enough disciplinary issues are not good. From both the recruiting and the coaching standpoint.

Category 5, guys who come to Wake, contribute on the court and then leave are most concerning. They have a place on the team, and a role within the team. Losing them hurts the team and the staff.

Back