• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

I hope he enjoyed the ride. He was pretty bad Sunday. Poor decisions, the one fumble and then he nearly fumbled the ensuing kickoff.

Do you think there are more NFL early entry flameouts that wish they returned, or more likely mid/late round draft picks who got injured/hurt their stock and wish they left earlier? I'd probably guess the former.

Hinton wasn't that much of a drop off from Dortch this year, other than as a PR, but our PR team was horrible at blocking anyways. We very likely still lose to UL, VT and obviously Clemson with Dortch. Maybe we win vs Cuse with him. Ironically, at this point, Hinton probably has about the same chance as Dortch of making an NFL roster next year (both quite slim).

Hinton and Greene actually lit it up against Syracuse. Not sure how much more Dortch could have done.

Having another good healthy receiver would have helped against Syracuse.

Being paid to play football > not being paid to play football. That won't ever change.

Being an all American football player and all time great at a college is also pretty damn sweet. Dortch would be in the exact same position next year or year after except he would also be an acc football legend. Now he’s just a guy. Terrible decision on his part and I feel bad for the guy

Even if he isn’t signed to another practice squad I’m sure he will get a camp invite for next year and have another opportunity.

Can you please give us more insight into Greg's family finances? Sounds like you may be knowledgeable.

Greg is starting his adult life. He is a family of his own and has to look at his own future. If he can help his parents (if they need it) so much the better.

Being an all American football player and all time great at a college is also pretty damn sweet. Dortch would be in the exact same position next year or year after except he would also be an acc football legend. Now he’s just a guy. Terrible decision on his part and I feel bad for the guy

Agree with this. Would have opened a lot of doors for him after the football days were over. At the very least, he could have been a human shield for John Currie

Are you willing to take care of Greg's family for his staying for your enjoyment?

There is some balance between leaving as soon as you can get a check to play and staying to try to improve his earning potential. I could have gotten a year long job with the landscaping company I worked for the summer after graduating high school, but instead I borrowed a whole bunch of money and spent 7 more years in school. Maybe that landscaping company would have gone public and I could have retired by now; maybe not. But if the bar is leave as soon as you can if someone will pay you, then there are going to be a lot of guys that spent a year on the practice squad and then got left out of football. I don't fault Dortch for leaving last year. He wasn't going to get any taller or faster. Last year's WR class was weaker than this one. He made a calculated wager and it doesn't look like it's going to work out. As Wake fans we've seen that a lot.

All that has nothing to do with our 8-4 record without him and what it could have been with him.

Greg is starting his adult life. He is a family of his own and has to look at his own future. If he can help his parents (if they need it) so much the better.

Damn, I should have been telling my COO I needed a raise to take care of my family of 1 years ago.

But playing in the NFL doesn't open doors?

He got hurt in each of his last two years. Why would you expect him to be healthy if he returned? If he got hurt again, he wouldn't even get a look.

Most of the same doors that would be opened for Greg from Wake will still be there.

If Dortch had stayed Hinton probably doesn't get as much of an opportunity to shine and maybe his profile and pro prospects are much worse?
It's all a crap shoot anyway so it is very difficult to know what is best. I personally think he would have been better off staying - but that assumes he doesn't suffer a serious injury and there is no guarantee that wouldn't have happened.

Wake probably would have beaten Syracuse because Dortch would have caught that ball in OT instead of Hinton and he wouldn't have gotten stripped like that.

Wake probably would have beaten Syracuse because Dortch would have caught that ball in OT instead of Hinton and he wouldn't have gotten stripped like that.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

A similar type of decision was addressed today by ECU baseball coach Godwin at the Raleigh Sports Club. . Football vs baseball, two different sports and one very physical and injury prone.
But for baseball - Bigs offer a kid $1M signing bonus vs college scholarship offer (those are not usually full) . In 6 years if you didn't make it big you'd have this situation. 1- $1 Million is more like $500k up front after taxes, etc. 2- after 6 yrs, you may have $50K remaining, but no degree, no experience,etc. and on your own. Which was the better decision there?

But he said if a guys has a 95 MPH fastball throwing in 35 degree Spring weather, he is gone, and not signing the scholarship offer.

Back