• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dortch leaving for NFL

That's good. Not nearly as good as making the roster. Here is what the Jets beat reporter said about Dortch in the Athletic yesterday afternoon:

Greg Dortch, receiver/returner: Gase spoke highly of the undrafted rookie out of Wake Forest virtually every time his name came up. He praised him for his game-breaking ability in the return game and development as a slot receiver. After Dortch pieced together an impressive preseason, he seemed a lock for the Week 1 roster. Then the Jets claimed Braxton Berrios, Dortch became expendable, and New York decided to move on. He’s not expected to return on the practice squad.

Glad he was wrong.

The Jets have a history of changing their practice squad so it would be hard for any player to feel too comfortable.

That's good. Not nearly as good as making the roster. Here is what the Jets beat reporter said about Dortch in the Athletic yesterday afternoon:

Greg Dortch, receiver/returner: Gase spoke highly of the undrafted rookie out of Wake Forest virtually every time his name came up. He praised him for his game-breaking ability in the return game and development as a slot receiver. After Dortch pieced together an impressive preseason, he seemed a lock for the Week 1 roster. Then the Jets claimed Braxton Berrios, Dortch became expendable, and New York decided to move on. He’s not expected to return on the practice squad.

Glad he was wrong.

you were literally posting the other day that Wolford should eschew making another team's roster to be on the Rams PS.

What is he doing now?

Abbate is a sales exec for an othropedics company.

Wish he had stayed longer at WF cause he was so good, but his role on that Orange Bowl team cements him as an all-time-fav Deacon for me. I'm sure others agree.

Best of luck to Dortch. Hope he gets a chance to show what he can do on an NFL roster.

I mean, it is the fucking Jets, did anyone expect them to make the correct decision?

I realize as a Giants fan you like to shit on the Jets, but I think the Jets are finally headed in a positive direction and will have a better record than your Giants. It's possible they've finally found a competent GM and QB, and Gase could be a good coach for Darnold.

Edited to ask if Dortch has landed on a PS yet?

He would have gained more opportunities to prove what he is. Still a very reasonable decision. I was hopeful that he could prove himself. He is good enough to play in the league.
Have to love an earlier poster taking the "get your degree" angle and using sentences like "could of" to justify it, amirite?

you were literally posting the other day that Wolford should eschew making another team's roster to be on the Rams PS.

Correct. Always on the assumption he wants to get into coaching after playing.

My consistency, I am striving for anyway, is what is the best long term option or strategy. I haven't read a quote or tweet from Greg that indicates anything other than playing and/or praying. Add to that, there are far more ex QBs in coaching than any other position due to the nature of the meetings. i think CB is a distant 2nd regarding ex players turned coaches.

Last edited:
I realize as a Giants fan you like to shit on the Jets, but I think the Jets are finally headed in a positive direction and will have a better record than your Giants. It's possible they've finally found a competent GM and QB, and Gase could be a good coach for Darnold.

Edited to ask if Dortch has landed on a PS yet?

yes, Jets. see previous page

It's almost impossible to be more wrong.

This is what can be so depressing about posting here. It is not a right / wrong argument. I am simply of the belief that sitting g in the qb room in LA will be be more lucrative long term for John specifically than making a roster for most or part of a season in some retread coaching situation like say, the Texans. You can cerrtainly disagree, but I wont argue you are "wrong"

It is just brutal and apparently the American way these days. Fucking sucks

coaching will always be there. making as much money as possible playing football? not so much.

Other teams have coaches to learn from too.

I get that. I just think if I were in John's shoes, I'd be much more psyched to learn and absorb under John McCay and staff than Bill O'Brien and staff. Even including all things being unequal. In other words, you give me $500,000 per year and a move to Houston starting this week, new system, new coach, new QB room - I think I would prefer the $108,000 to stay in Los Angeles. One, at least according the Rams beat reporter on theathletic, John's been told they consider him a possible #2 next year on the assumption they will likely lose Bortles or could trust John enough to make Bortles expendable. Much less likely for a big change of course mid-season in LA - unless the Rams lose a QB to injury and then he gets promoted. Icing on the cake is I am learning from a clearly elite coach of the moment. Cross that with almost any opportunity that might look great in Week 1 and terrible in Week 6 when I'm cut for Joe Blow possibly risking any return to Los Angeles ...

Again, all on the assumption that he'd want to be an offensive coordinator somewhere in 15 years as opposed to doing the Goldman Sachs thing.

If it just about getting paid today with a pathway to NFL starting QB, I guess you go where the paycheck is best, dependent on the waiver gods. I'd presume he's happier where he's at today than Dortch though. Dortch was a Jets fan's darling this preseason, but not sure how much trust he has in the Jets organization today. Plus, he's gonna be earning exactly what Wolford is earning in LA.

I get that. I just think if I were in John's shoes, I'd be much more psyched to learn and absorb under John McCay and staff than Bill O'Brien and staff. Even including all things being unequal. In other words, you give me $500,000 per year and a move to Houston starting this week, new system, new coach, new QB room - I think I would prefer the $108,000 to stay in Los Angeles. One, at least according the Rams beat reporter on theathletic, John's been told they consider him a possible #2 next year on the assumption they will likely lose Bortles or could trust John enough to make Bortles expendable. Much less likely for a big change of course mid-season in LA - unless the Rams lose a QB to injury and then he gets promoted. Icing on the cake is I am learning from a clearly elite coach of the moment. Cross that with almost any opportunity that might look great in Week 1 and terrible in Week 6 when I'm cut for Joe Blow possibly risking any return to Los Angeles ...

Again, all on the assumption that he'd want to be an offensive coordinator somewhere in 15 years as opposed to doing the Goldman Sachs thing.

If it just about getting paid today with a pathway to NFL starting QB, I guess you go where the paycheck is best, dependent on the waiver gods. I'd presume he's happier where he's at today than Dortch though. Dortch was a Jets fan's darling this preseason, but not sure how much trust he has in the Jets organization today. Plus, he's gonna be earning exactly what Wolford is earning in LA.
Who the hell is John McCay?

lol

I just think if I were in John's shoes, I'd be much more psyched to learn and absorb under John McCay and staff than Bill O'Brien and staff.

Do you realize that Bill O'Brien was some combination of the Quarterbacks Coach and Offensive Coordinator for the New England Patriots from 2007-2011. How's thier quarterback ? How's their overall offensive coaching ?

Who the hell is John McCay?

lol

haha. If memory serves, he was the coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs for their first few years in the NFL in the ... 70s?

And yes I do understand that Bill O'Brien was himself once considered a hot coach, but then he has been nearly fired a few times in Houston. Last year was their best year by far, but I don't consider their offense much nor do I consider him an elite NFL coach. I do think he gets a bit of a bum rap because he fled Penn State during a tough time there that had nothing to do with him. You can argue he is an elite coach if you want. I would rather be learning from McVay than O'Brien, but for argument's sake, I'm happy to slide over to Jason Garrett, Patricia in Detroit, or some other middling coach. Right now, outside Coach Douchebag in New England and beloved Andy Reid in KC, there is nobody with better cache in the coaching ranks than the kid in LA. Of course, I suppose that all could change in 5 years when Wolford is potentially entering the coaching ranks.

I just know that when I go in for interviews and mention past employers, whenever I speak of my years at McKinsey, ears prick up and the interviewer listens. Despite the onslaught of negative press (deserved IMO) on McK over the last two years, they are still extremely well respected and anything I did there trumps all my other experience. I could have mopped floors there and it would have higher cache than some of my other gigs. It is just job interview reality.

Yes, he was, and like a soviet premier, he had a 5 year plan at Tampa. Had a great career at USC and was quite a character.

Lol at anyone preferring 100k/yr in LA vs 500k/yr literally anywhere else.

Fuck's sake, are you aware of the cost of living in SoCal?

Back