• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dress code violation may prevent teen from participating in graduation..

Turn around please

article-2428028-1824BC4300000578-279_634x633.jpg

Who cares? she looks fine...well, unless her jeans have no butt coverage....

meh, dress codes are almost uniformly (zing!) prejudice against women

I had the complete opposite experience at 2 private schools. Girls could wear almost whatever, guys had to wear a polo and khakis every day

I had the complete opposite experience at 2 private schools. Girls could wear almost whatever, guys had to wear a polo and khakis every day

I think that's a different type of issue. Like, for example, women have much more variety in what counts as appropriate business clothes than men do.

The issue is with dress codes that try to hide girls' bodies so that they don't "distract" boys when they have no concern about girls being distracted by what boys wear

The problem is such dress codes treat girls as sexual objects. They place the burden on girls to de-sexualize themselves instead of setting expectations for boys and men to just treat girls with respect.

I see both sides and without seeing the shirt in question as it was worn on that day, I'm not going to pass judgment.

That being said she was aware there was a dress code, she allegedly violated it, she should have just changed and addressed the situation in a different way.

Yeah this is a pretty shit argument. I doubt this was the first time she had an issue with the dress code. That dress code is incredibly sexist and at some point, especially in the last month of your senior year, the only course of action remaining is to defy the dress code and make it as big a story as possible.

I don't understand why people who rarely (if ever) have to follow unjust rules that only apply to us because of our race, gender, etc., always feel the need to tell other people to "just follow the rule and address the issue in other ways."

Shit doesn't have to be as consequential as the civil rights movement for someone to be justified in standing up and saying "this is bullshit."

A dress code for graduation or special events at a high school is not improper or discriminatory in my opinion.

However, this article states the female was upset that the code was not enforced fairly, i.e. girls being called out and not the boys. That is wrong and discrimatory against female students.

As far as transgendered are concerned, I cannot comment because there could be no dress code at all based on ones questioning their identity (I think. I don't know)

On the flip side, a uniform can be a nice alternative. One of the plus sides is that your young impressionable teen will not want you to purchase Kate Spade pocketbooks and back packs freshman year besides the latest fashionable clothes that will cost a fortune.

Your daughters will never miss their bus because they can't decide what shirt to wear or which earrings or shoes match their bag. They will also not have to strip the pants off (while on the bus to school) that they wore to cover the shorty shorts that barely cover their behinds that mom and dad would not allow them to wear to school. Also that big sweat shirt covering their crop top too!

Your sons won't roll out of bed with bed head brush their teeth and throw on the wrinkled dirty stuff laying on the floor from the day before. He may not want that tat yet cause he can't show off his buff while wearing his cut off or ripped t-shirt. Worry about those expensive sneakers that cost 300 hundred bucks and the designer boxers that need to show while his pants hang off his butt? Saves a lot of $$$ for 8 hours a day.

Hopefully you will spend the extra dough on music lessons, a tutor, sports equipment, and some fun stuff while your kids are still kids.

As to the last 4 paragraphs, maybe just be a better parent

I think the shirt is ugly. That's my only objection.

I use to give that advise to my older sisters about their kids when I was single. Oh boy I had all the answers. Lol

I don't have to know the answer but I'll bet you don't have pre-teens or teens yet.

Easier said than done. Most parents do the best they can yet that little thing called peer pressure kicks in.

Add the world of technology, although good, makes it tough to keep track of your kids in your own home! Lot of news rules to enforce.

Can't wait to hear you bitch about how entitled your kids' generation is. I wonder whose fault that will be. The word "no" is powerful when used properly.

Smart doesn't mean good. We really only know Summers side of the story christL

I'm feeling like Karlllll today. Got my facts Karlllll!

Even at a young age, Kaczynsk was a genius, scoring 167 on an IQ test in the fifth grade. Skipping the sixth grade and his junior year, he was in the chess, biology, German, and mathematics clubs. When he was sixteen years old, he was accepted into Harvard on a scholarship. After graduating from there, he earned his Ph.D in mathematics from the University of Michigan and afterwards became a professor at the University of California Berkeley. See also; 10 Notorious Doctors in History.

I can't believe we all are just glossing over risc comparing this girl to the Unabomber for speaking up about a ridiculous dress code.

I also wanted to chime in and say that dress codes in general are stuck decades in the past in a lot of places. I almost got suspended and not allowed to graduate for wearing a shirt that said "Muck Fizzou" on it on my last day of my senior year of high school. Never mind the numerous farm kids that came to school with their NASCAR shirts with Budweiser/Coors advertisements or caricatures of women with huge tits and bikinis.

More to the point of the thread, girls in my school district when I was in school couldn't wear tank tops, low-rise jeans, shorts couldn't be a certain length above the knee, etc. But guys who were in gym class could wear cut off T-shirts that showed their entire chest, back, stomach, arms, and then wear it around school the rest of the day. I think the dress code has slightly loosened up there since I've gone, but not by much.

Sometimes, you just need to use common sense. There is nothing wrong with the top that girl was wearing. Any problem a person had with it is their own problem, not this girl's. And suspending her from graduation because she stood up for herself in the face of unjust treatment and an unjust dress code is absurd.

Back