• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drop Vandy Series

This is beside the point. It is fucking stupid to schedule any mid level BCS team at home Thanksgiving weekend. Stupid! I am never coming - ever. 3 hours away - never. It is fucking stupid, and our motivation and the crowd yesterday proved it.

So you are not coming to the game next year?

One of the reasons for scheduling a non-conference game over the Thanksgiving weekend is to give teams an extra week to prepare for the ACC championship game.

For those who favor scheduling NC State as the last game, how would you feel if Wake had beaten Clemson, and just needed a win over NC State to be playing the ACC conf championship next week? Want to play that game in a BB&T stadium with 10 or 15 thousand in red and a few thousand in OG&B?

One of the reasons for scheduling a non-conference game over the Thanksgiving weekend is to give teams an extra week to prepare for the ACC championship game.

For those who favor scheduling NC State as the last game, how would you feel if Wake had beaten Clemson, and just needed a win over NC State to be playing the ACC conf championship next week? Want to play that game in a BB&T stadium with 10 or 15 thousand in red and a few thousand in OG&B?

Thanks.

So you are not coming to the game next year?

No Keeper, and I'm a huge fan! That is the problem.

I have an issue with the Labor Day games as well, but would come if we had an opening game against a big BCS type team.

Wake is a national university and small so this is a big deal.

Basketball is even worse. Hell I used to come to every 7:00 Wed/thrs game and Sat afternoon game.

Hell now SUnday at 9:00, Tues at 8:00 etc. No way ! TV has screwed things up.

I love the matchup, and hope we continue it. The fact that our players tanked today doesn't change the notion that this is a good series for both of our programs. This is what college football OOC scheduling is supposed to be about. Schools with common interests playing against each other on a regular basis so that a rivalry develops. Michigan vs. Notre Dame didn't develop overnight for the fanbases. It sometimes takes decades. I think we are starting something great with Vandy and it would be a shame if we discontinue it.

We sucked on Saturday, don't let that ruin your thoughts about the series. If we would have won by 40 this thread would be ridiculous. Both of our programs are on the rise (historically speaking). This should be a good matchup more times than not.

I don't get the we can't draw on Thanksgiving weekend -- so State would outnumber our fans -- if WF plays State to end each season argument. Yeah, school is out and that accounts for 1500 (generous number as some students are relatively local or comeback early) that might typically attend a FB game. What other set of WF fans that attend other games can not atten T-giving weekend, but are free for the rest of the year?

These are the facts:
- the ACC requires that no conference teams have a bye week before the ACCCG;
- 1-AA teams start their tournament that weekend; so they are out of the mix;
- Vandy is not and never will be WF's rival;
- State, WF, UNC and Duke are Big 4 "rivals";
- Duke plays UNC to finish each season.

Logic tells me that WF should finish each season against State as they are the other NC school in the Coastal, and over the last decade plus, the series has been competitive (tilted toward WF). If WF is having a bad year, WF is not going to draw regardless who they play to finish the season. When WF is having a good year, fans would come to the WF/State finale.

What other set of WF fans that attend other games can not atten T-giving weekend, but are free for the rest of the year?

A large portion of Wake Forest fans who travel in from outside of Winston-Salem (which makes up a large portion of our football attendance). In many cases, they are traveling to visit family or have family traveling in to visit them, so spending an entire Saturday at Groves isn't always in the cards.

Of the 30 or so "regulars" I tailgate with, only about 10-11 of us were able to attend on Saturday. Of that 10-11, 3 live in Winston (so the trip is easy), 3-4 more have family in Winston so they were visiting for Thanksgiving anyway (again, easy), and 4 had to travel in from out of town with less than their entire family due to other family commitments (they made special efforts above and beyond a normal game weekend). The other 20 or so had other family commitments on the holiday weekend and couldn't make it at all. These are folks who normally travel in from DC, Columbia, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, High Point, etc, but couldn't due to the holiday...it's not as if these folks aren't committed to attending WFU football games.

Last edited:
One of the reasons for scheduling a non-conference game over the Thanksgiving weekend is to give teams an extra week to prepare for the ACC championship game. 8 out of the 12 ACC teams played conference games this weekend. 3 (Clemson, GT, FSU) played their long-time rivals. 1 (Wake Forest) played Vandy.For those who favor scheduling NC State as the last game, how would you feel if Wake had beaten Clemson, and just needed a win over NC State to be playing the ACC conf championship next week? Want to play that game in a BB&T stadium with 10 or 15 thousand in red and a few thousand in OG&B?

Lenox?

Last edited:
Back