• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drop Vandy Series

Tell me this would you be happier playing an A/B OOC strong schedule and going 4-8 to 6-6 yearly or playing and easier OOC schedule and going 7-5 or 8-4? I just want us to win regardless of opponent build up our program prestige and start getting better recruits in here.

The problem is Vandy doesn't check any of the important boxes. It's not a guaranteed win over a cupcake such that we can count on it pushing us toward bowl eligibility on a yearly basis. On the other hand, it's not so sexy a matchup or so prominent an opponent that we can expect TV coverage at a desirable time slot. This latter point is exacerbated because Wake specifically has a lot to lose by losing to Vandy; the schools are incredibly similar academically and vis-a-vis their respective conference opponents, and often recruit the same HS prospects.

Basically, I'd rather us go all-in with this OOC slot and try and snag a series with a BCS-level opponent that would raise eyebrows were we to win (but not if we were to lose), or go the total opposite direction and just grab an easy W against a cupcake; home attendance is going to suck regardless simply because of the the post-holiday timing, so why not at least ensure we can win the damn game.

As it stands now, we're getting the worst of both worlds--a game we can easily lose, to a team we compete directly for recruits and media attention / "feel-good" storylines, that likely won't generate much (if any) interest outside the two respective fanbases.

Do not want.

I like the series. We aren't gonna get anyone for this weekend that will excite the team and/or fans. I would rather finish conference play early.

Also, it appears as a good measuring stick moving forward regarding the state of our program moving forward. We may want to see what they are doing to move their program beyond ours with similar academic requirements.

Ridiculous you think Vandy has moved their program beyonds ours.

I don't think they have, but I think they are headed that way. As much as I dislike him Franklin is a good coach and he is pulling 4* players in there now, something we do not do.

You can pretty much pencil Vandy in for fifth or worse in their division every year and I clearly wasn't directing that post at you.

One of two things is going to happen to Franklin--either he's going to burn out from constantly having to try and keep up with the big boys in the SEC (which is, frankly, an impossible task) or he's going to get snapped up by some other program. He won't be at Vandy long. That is probably the most thankless job in America.

You can pretty much pencil Vandy in for fifth or worse in their division every year and I clearly wasn't directing that post at you.

I know but I was responding to it. Everyone could see how improved Vandy was this year taking some of the SEC's best to the wire.

One of two things is going to happen to Franklin--either he's going to burn out from constantly having to try and keep up with the big boys in the SEC (which is, frankly, an impossible task) or he's going to get snapped up by some other program. He won't be at Vandy long. That is probably the most thankless job in America.

exactly what I have been thinking.

A regular game against ECU or App would generate more excitement. I know most people on here probably do not like the idea of Wake playing those schools but I'd like to see it.

I like playing Vandy but I agree these games would generate more excitement. The App game always had a great atmosphere.

This made for ESPN so we can put $ in the till game does nothing. It looks like it could be BUT will never be a rivalary game. We just will not hate Vandy - ever.

It is terrible for the weekend after thanksgiving. - terrible. No emotion in the game. - flat

Our scheduling is very difficult I know but this one, although not a bad idea for a series, and a good try does not work for us.

Tulane, Northwestern, Vandy, Rice, Baylor, SMU - rotate 2, and play them early - and play Amy Navy every year. This one makes no sense the last game.

Who do you think we should play? USC? Oklahoma? Ohio St? I'm sure teams like that are just dying to play Wake Forest in some sort of home and home series. Or would you rather play an ACC game in front of 20K people with the students gone on break?

I'd rather play Rice so we don't go 1-3 OOC again.

Sounds like consensus is that we're not going to draw flies thanksgiving week regardless of the opponent. In which case, its the fault of the fans, not the fault of the schedule-makers. Maybe we should petition the ACC to just schedule us on the road that week every year.

Wake could lose to ANY team with an effort like we saw today. The idea that the schedule is too tough because the team started and finished poorly against Cuse and Vandy, two of the worst major conference programs over the last decade is just sad.

The real story is we had a middle of the road schedule this season. Lots of beatable teams.

I agree with Dan Collins' philosophy. Schedule 1 marquee OOC opponent and three cupcakes (1 FCS (but not ASU), 2 Army, CUSA, MAC, or Sun Belt). I wouldn't try to drop the remaining Vandy games, but I wouldn't renew it after that. If we ever get to where we are dominating the Atlantic Division, then we should upgrade the OOC opponents. I think I would then maybe follow the Virginia Tech model.

Wake could lose to ANY team with an effort like we saw today. The idea that the schedule is too tough because the team started and finished poorly against Cuse and Vandy, two of the worst major conference programs over the last decade is just sad.

The real story is we had a middle of the road schedule this season. Lots of beatable teams.

This is probably true.

we didn't start poorly Tanner got hurt. But regardless I don't want even slate teams or slightly better teams on the schedule I want easy wins.

Back