• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drummers are smarter than everyone else

yep.

that raises an interesting point. I took guitar lessons for a while a few years back and I went in wanting to learn the "theory" (I thought.) I told my teacher that I wanted to learn why music things were the way they were, why notes were played together or not played together. I really thought if I learned why, then I would be a better natural songwriter and player. Like the way you study history or something. But as I started to learn things I realized it didn't really matter why, what mattered the most - for my purposes - was learning the basics of keys and chords and blues changes, and then letting my ear develop and eventually take over. It hit me one day and as we were getting into it I said "I don't think Pete Townshend knows all this stuff about mixolydian mode and all that, do you? " He laughed and agreed that he probably didn't know what it was called or why it was the way it was, but that his ear knew it well from repetition and experience. Perhaps Sir Paul doesn't want to know too much and see music written out and diagrammed and clinical and prefers to leave that to the technicians.

I don't think The Who ever did anything Mixolydian, Lydian, Aeolian, or any modal music other than I, IV, V, I in whatever major key Roger Daltry felt comfortable sining in. (OK, maybe Aeolian, since that is the natural relative minor. Like Behind Blue Eyes).

Most rock musicians, even if they can read, don't use that skill when they write or learn new songs. It's all by ear. Which is one of the things that makes them who they are.

Speaking of Bruford, I got my Steve Wilson mix of The Yes Album today. Awesome job as usual from Mr. Wilson, just as it was with Close To The Edge.

Back