• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drummers are smarter than everyone else

That's impressive, but drum solos are so fucking obnoxious. I've only seen one that I ever thought was cool and that was Carl Palmer.

Don't even care for Moby Dick. Drums, much like the bass, are best when taken as a whole. That really goes for most instruments in a band setting. Albums by guitar studs like Satriani and Johnson bore me to tears. I know they can play, but I want to hear songs and not extended jam sessions. It all sounds better in one cohesive movement, layered on top of one another, and engaged in the ebb and flow of a song's dynamics.

Don't even care for Moby Dick. Drums, much like the bass, are best when taken as a whole. That really goes for most instruments in a band setting. Albums by guitar studs like Satriani and Johnson bore me to tears. I know they can play, but I want to hear songs and not extended jam sessions. It all sounds better in one cohesive movement, layered on top of one another, and engaged in the ebb and flow of a song's dynamics.

Yeah I hear what you're saying, it's oft-repeated and very hip thing to say. I dig it too, but if a drummer or bass player or guitar player can entertain in a solo setting I'm all ears. I agree, in western popular music the drums are the underpinning for the songs, we're technicians for the song, and for that reason many of the technical abilities of the drummer don't have a space to come out in the material - for good reason! It would overtake the song and kill the groove. That's why a good solo spot for a drummer - a few bars trading fours with the band or an extended, composed solo, can let him express himself and demonstrate his technical ability and still be musical and entertaining. I love a good drum solo, but a shitty one bores me too. I love good long indulgent guitar solos too, if they are done well. Frank Zappa and Jeff Beck could solo for days and I'm right there but yeah joe satriani? Lol.

Well that's why I like progressive stuff... Yes, Genesis, Porcupine Tree... That kind of music allows each person to shine

Well that's why I like progressive stuff... Yes, Genesis, Porcupine Tree... That kind of music allows each person to shine

When you talk about being natural and in a groove, Phil Collins was a great drummer but couldn't read a note of music.

When you talk about being natural and in a groove, Phil Collins was a great drummer but couldn't read a note of music.

Drum notation and what you're referring to as a "note of music" are two very different things. I'd bet there are many rock drummers who don't read music.

ETA: W&B included

Last edited:
Drum notation and what you're referring to as a "note of music" are two very different things. I'd bet there are many rock drummers who don't read music.

ETA: W&B included

I can read drum notation, I learned as a kid in school band and in private lessons on the trap kit. I don't use formal charts when I am kicking around with local bands, but I do use notation on my 'cheat sheets' if I can't remember all the parts in the whole set list, and I've given lessons to beginners and chart the parts I want them to learn.

a drum solo but not a drum solo for ELC. courtesy of the indomitable Bill Bruford

if we want to expand the conversation to real instruments :)thumbsup:), hendrix couldn't read or write music either

I put these Russian guys on every once in a while to be dazzled. I love this drummer.

Good players all around, try to hang in for the whole if you can. It's fusion. ;)

I can read drum notation, I learned as a kid in school band and in private lessons on the trap kit. I don't use formal charts when I am kicking around with local bands, but I do use notation on my 'cheat sheets' if I can't remember all the parts in the whole set list, and I've given lessons to beginners and chart the parts I want them to learn.

That was my point. Drum notation is different than what most people think of as sheet music. Do you read treble or bass clef?

That was my point. Drum notation is different than what most people think of as sheet music. Do you read treble or bass clef?

From what I was told, Phil listens to the songs then starts playing.

McCartney as well, if I recall

McCartney has always been stubborn about it. When he wrote his symphony, he had to have a partner to write the score and do the arrangement since he could not read. That partner was a guy named Carl Davis, who at the time was conducting the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. Davis offered to teach McCartney how to read music, but McCartney refused to learn.

Anyone who wants to learn to read music could do so in about 30 minutes.

Back