• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke board on kyrie v. Cp3

awakegirl

Reaction score
You can't make this shit up. Board goes on to decide he will be better than Paul immediately and be like Magic Johnson at least by year 3, maybe sooner. Then they say that we never capitalized on Paul and didn't bring in elite talent after that, which is bs. They also claim to have tons of elite NBA talent compared to us. Really??

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=7403970&p=2

Right, because having a top 5 (at worst) PG and the best PF OF ALL time in the league right now is slim pickings.

They're absolutely insane.

I'm interested to see how good Irving will be in the NBA. He was phenomenal at the beginning of the year. It's far to early to expect CP3 out of him, though, even if he is a top 3 pick.

Complete homer idiots. Wake's NBA team would mop the floor with Duke's. They forget that Coach K takes elite talent and ruins it, or it ruins itself on a motorcycle.

During the McDonalds game ESPN showed the clip of Jay Williams getting drafted and he made sure to change the change the subject as soon as possible. It must kill him inside to know what he lost.

Last edited:
Complete homer idiots. Wake's NBA team would mop the floor with Duke's. They forget that Coach K takes elite talent and ruins it, or it ruins itself on a motorcycle.

During the McDonalds game ESPN showed the clip of Jay Williams getting drafted and he made sure to change the change the subject as soon as possible. It must kill him inside to know what he lost.

haha. Low blow

awakegirl said:
You can't make this shit up. Board goes on to decide he will be better than Paul immediately and be like Magic Johnson at least by year 3, maybe sooner. Then they say that we never capitalized on Paul and didn't bring in elite talent after that, which is bs. They also claim to have tons of elite NBA talent compared to us. Really??

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=7403970&p=2

In fairness, we didn't get anything accomplished we Paul here. We did bring in some elite talent, though we squandered that as well.

In fairness, we didn't get anything accomplished we Paul here. We did bring in some elite talent, though we squandered that as well.

Agree, but saying we didn't recruit well after him is wrong and saying duke has a litany of talent in the NBA compared to us is wrong. Comparing Tyrie to Magic right now is ridiculous.

awakegirl and BSD, they're right. Our recruiting between Paul and Johnson/Teague was atrocious.

Starting May 5, 2002
2003 - Chris Paul
2003 - Todd Hendley (transfer)
2003 - Jeremy Ingram (transfer)
2003 - Kyle Visser (All-ACC as a senior)
2004 - Cameron Stanley (grad transfer)
2005 - Kevin Swinton (transfer)
2005 - David Weaver
2005 - Harvey Hale
2005 - Shamaine Dukes (transfer)
2006 - Jamie Skeen (transfer)
2006 - LD Williams (multi-year starter)
2006 - Anthony Gurley (transfer)
2006 - Ish Smith (All-ACC as a senior)
2006 - Chas McFarland (multi-year starter)
2007 - Casey Crawford (transfer)

Ending August 26, 2006 when James Johnson verballed

Over four years of recruiting:
1 All-World player who left as a sophomore
2 All-ACC seniors
2 other multi-year starters
2 part-time starters/reserves
8 transfers

Oh I agree that they're mostly right, but JT, JJ, and AFA were elite talents. Ish was excellent from the end of his junior year forward. Chas was a quality ACC center, though he under performed his SR year as he became consumed with being chippy. Woods may have been another quality ACC 5, but we'll never know.

None of it really matters though, because ultimately, we didn't win a damn thing. And Duke did.

"Your application for access to this forum was denied."

Most ACC boards are run with an authoritarian streak. I know IC and TDD have banned plenty of people for posts on other boards. Packpride is now under the control of their AD. You guys obviously have obviously had your problems at DS. The only ones I can think of that are worth going to and are run semi-competently are this one and the Maryland board.

Oh I agree that they're mostly right, but JT, JJ, and AFA were elite talents. Ish was excellent from the end of his junior year forward. Chas was a quality ACC center, though he under performed his SR year as he became consumed with being chippy. Woods may have been another quality ACC 5, but we'll never know.

None of it really matters though, because ultimately, we didn't win a damn thing. And Duke did.

Teague, Johnson, and AFA were elite talents, but as I posted, they were recruited over four years after Paul. That's a long gap. If Paul had stayed 4 years, he wouldn't have one jack due to the poor recruiting.

Teague, Johnson, and AFA were elite talents, but as I posted, they were recruited over four years after Paul. That's a long gap. If Paul had stayed 4 years, he wouldn't have one jack due to the poor recruiting.

You don't think that recruiting might've been a little bit better with two more years of national exposure and tournament runs?

It's hard to know because Kyrie played 3 collegiate games against decent competition (Kansas St, Michigan St, and Arizona) so there's not exactly a great sample size to base projections on. But I think I'd put Kyrie more at a Mike Conley level than a CP3 level. I think the biggest similarity to CP3 is that he will probably struggle against bigger, more athletic PGs who can bully him around a little bit (Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, etc.).

But if he had stayed three years . . .

Well right, I'm looking post-Paul. You can draw the lines however you'd like though, because bottom line: we didn't win. As a result, Duke can shit on us.

awakegirl and BSD, they're right. Our recruiting between Paul and Johnson/Teague was atrocious.

Starting May 5, 2002
2003 - Chris Paul
2003 - Todd Hendley (transfer)
2003 - Jeremy Ingram (transfer)
2003 - Kyle Visser (All-ACC as a senior)
2004 - Cameron Stanley (grad transfer)
2005 - Kevin Swinton (transfer)
2005 - David Weaver
2005 - Harvey Hale
2005 - Shamaine Dukes (transfer)
2006 - Jamie Skeen (transfer)
2006 - LD Williams (multi-year starter)
2006 - Anthony Gurley (transfer)
2006 - Ish Smith (All-ACC as a senior)
2006 - Chas McFarland (multi-year starter)
2007 - Casey Crawford (transfer)

Ending August 26, 2006 when James Johnson verballed

Over four years of recruiting:
1 All-World player who left as a sophomore
2 All-ACC seniors
2 other multi-year starters
2 part-time starters/reserves
8 transfers

Some of those guys didn't work out, but were elite recruits- Cam Stan for one and Jaime Skeen (4 star) were both highly touted coming out of hs. Ish Smith was considered a good get at the time. Visser and Hale were 3 star. Paul didn't leave until 2005- I would say the group we got right after he left was "elite." I also think we have better NBA players than they do and that they are full of shit predicting at this point that Kyrie will be better than Paul.

You don't think that recruiting might've been a little bit better with two more years of national exposure and tournament runs?

Not really. It's a huge stretch to say we would have done anything significant in Paul's 3rd year. That team finished 3-13 without him and it wasn't just due to Gray's play at PG. We would have had no depth beyond Paul and the seniors due to poor recruiting.

As far as the impact of an additional year, Crawford is the only player on that list who verballed after the start of the 2005-06 season. So you definitely can't say Paul staying would have affected that 4 year stretch of recruiting, particularly since all of it happened DURING the national exposure we had under Paul and before the decline of the program became apparent on the court.

Ironically, it was after that decline that recruiting picked up with the next two classes.

Back