• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke-Carolina

I’m hard pressed to find a better coach. I think he’s the best ever.

John Wooden?

There comes a point when coaches get on cruise control and start to make more of their game about leaning on officials and having their ESPN-buoyed reputations do the recruiting for them. Even when his classes aren't ranked highly, he still lands a blue chipper, but it's a class of one or two so it isn't a top 3 class. IMO, K's best coaching came in his first 20 years, and particularly from his start through the graduation of Bobby Hurley. He has been largely on cruise control for the last 20 years, particularly since he came to embrace the era of one-and-done. And yes, that still has brought him 3 titles, but there are a number of coaches out there who could've done the same or better with the talent on his roster. The problem is that not many would have the resume before that in order to coast for the next 20 years, and that's where K deserves credit.

John Wooden?

There comes a point when coaches get on cruise control and start to make more of their game about leaning on officials and having their ESPN-buoyed reputations do the recruiting for them. Even when his classes aren't ranked highly, he still lands a blue chipper, but it's a class of one or two so it isn't a top 3 class. IMO, K's best coaching came in his first 20 years, and particularly from his start through the graduation of Bobby Hurley. He has been largely on cruise control for the last 20 years, particularly since he came to embrace the era of one-and-done. And yes, that still has brought him 3 titles, but there are a number of coaches out there who could've done the same or better with the talent on his roster. The problem is that not many would have the resume before that in order to coast for the next 20 years, and that's where K deserves credit.

this is spot on.

We absolutely lost the 2nd miami game on offensive inefficiency.

I think Pitt beats BC and we should be able to handle Pitt.

If we play Miami, who do we put on Wong? I feel like we tried Mucius, Jake and Alondes before. Don’t want those guys getting cheap early fouls and Wong is elite at getting to his spot and can make us pay. I’m thinking we stick Cam on him or make a point of switching Sy off ball screens. Hope we have a plan for him that works.

Might try Williamson on Wong. He may have the quicks to beat him to the spot and make it more difficult to penetrate. Miami's quickness is a nightmare.

k was out coached by Hubert last night.

k has had the luxury of top recruits wanting to go to class at nccu. :dumb:

Either people forget or were not around back then, but kaye made a big deal about Dean having the refs in his pocket. Then kaye became Dean. I think Rick Barnes took off to Texas because he couldn't get on a level playing field.

Typical hype, was that there were 96 ex-players in the stands. I read the list, 40 of those were 'who are they' names. Nothing wrong with that but ESPN, etc would have you think they brought back 96 all Americans.

And what the heck is this 'Brotherhood' deal. Sounds like a cult. I guess it's a cult that once you are outside the protection, you fail in the NBA.

Stats are stats. That doesn't make you a great citizen. Nothing illegal with putting a hack walk-on on CP3, right?

His calculating self, gambled last night with that speech. dook wins the ACCT and gets to the Final 4 or wins it then it's legendary. FSU takes them out and/or they get bounced in the first weekend of the NCAAT then it will show how arrogant he is.

Shitchefski's legendary arrogance is a given. Reinforce maybe, but not show. Will turn out he had an itchy back and one of those ratface-in-training blokes will take that home loss for the boss.

Much as I hate Duke, everyone should never forget that UNC shouldn't even have a basketball program anymore. They should have received the death penalty from the tutoring scandal that they lawyered out of, I will never want them to win any game ever again.

That was some self serving BS. Mrs. K looks like a pain in the a$$.

Glad UNC spoiled the party.

Micky’s mouth is apparently dirtier than mike’s which is really saying something. In my years behind the visiting bench, only Dave Leito was less professional than k in the way he talked.

Years ago my seats were 2 rows behind the visitor bench. I will never forget listening to K cussing like a drunk father that stepped on a Lego for an entire game and his daughter - who was a Wake cheerleader - was sitting in that corner at the baseline right by the bench and heard every word. It honestly grossed me out.

The hypocrisy of K is off the charts. He was the one who told one of his assistants that if he ever acted like Dean Smith, he should take a gun and shoot him. Then he becomes much much worse than Dean in being entitled to get calls from the officials and holier than thou about "the way we do things at Duke".

He was also the one who was spouting off about how wrong it was for John Chaney to put in a guy to rough up some UMass players, then is praised for doing the same thing to Chris Paul.

Duke losing to UNC on Saturday was so very satisfying. Those arrogant assholes never, ever thought they would lose that game.

The hypocrisy of K is off the charts. He was the one who told one of his assistants that if he ever acted like Dean Smith, he should take a gun and shoot him. Then he becomes much much worse than Dean in being entitled to get calls from the officials and holier than thou about "the way we do things at Duke".

He was also the one who was spouting off about how wrong it was for John Chaney to put in a guy to rough up some UMass players, then is praised for doing the same thing to Chris Paul.

Duke losing to UNC on Saturday was so very satisfying. Those arrogant assholes never, ever thought they would lose that game.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

All y'all luxuriating in the Duke loss did not grow up in North Carolina during the Dean Smith era. "Then he becomes much much worse than Dean in being entitled to get calls from the officials and holier than thou about "the way we do things at Duke"."

You either didn't watch UNC games when Dean Smith was coaching, or you just forgot how much he owned the conference. K was just an extension of Smith, it's just more recent. I hate them both, my favorite days in the tournaments (ACC & NCAA) are always the days either of them lose. I get we are all happy they were humiliated, but any day a Tarhole is happy should be a bad day.

Also, I must say I have never understood the obsession on this board with Coach K and cussing. Did y'all ever play sports? I'm not sure if my football coach knew how to talk without cussing.

Again, UNC shouldn't have even been playing that game, their program should have been shut down. Talk about Coach K's favoritism, allowing UNC to get off scot free from the tutoring/fake class scandal is the ultimate insider favoritism.

All y'all luxuriating in the Duke loss did not grow up in North Carolina during the Dean Smith era. "Then he becomes much much worse than Dean in being entitled to get calls from the officials and holier than thou about "the way we do things at Duke"."

You either didn't watch UNC games when Dean Smith was coaching, or you just forgot how much he owned the conference. K was just an extension of Smith, it's just more recent. I hate them both, my favorite days in the tournaments (ACC & NCAA) are always the days either of them lose. I get we are all happy they were humiliated, but any day a Tarhole is happy should be a bad day.

Also, I must say I have never understood the obsession on this board with Coach K and cussing. Did y'all ever play sports? I'm not sure if my football coach knew how to talk without cussing.

Again, UNC shouldn't have even been playing that game, their program should have been shut down. Talk about Coach K's favoritism, allowing UNC to get off scot free from the tutoring/fake class scandal is the ultimate insider favoritism.

I grew up in North Carolina during the height of Dean's career. It is possible to hate both UNC and Duke. If the situation on Saturday had been reversed, I would have enjoyed it just as much.

One of them had to win on Saturday. I'm glad it was able to happen in such a way that caused the maximum amount of pain for the loser.

I get it. But when there’s a rare opportunity for either one of those programs to be humiliated on a national stage, you have to hope it will happen. This time it was Duke’s turn and the opportunity was not squandered.

Back