• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke Game Review / Delaware Game Week Thread

All I'm hearing is that we get a quick lead next week and then rest most of the starters and be sure we're healthy for IU.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Clawson and the second team play most of the game and we win 7-3 similar to the Tulane game?

CBS Sports.com has Duke moving up 18 spots to 68 and Wake moving up 10 spots to 81.

So we're still behind Duke but ahead of other ACC teams like Syracuse and Boston College. And Virginia.

Are we happy with the improvement to 81 or would we have liked to jump Duke?

I'm not sure how the rankings work because South Carolina jumped 25 spots and they didn't look all that good Saturday.

I see we're ahead of Syracuse too so I guess being behind Duke is ok as long as we're out of the ACC cellar.

East Carolina is 2-0 and beat NC State but ECU is 108 and NC State is in the 50's. So maybe it's more of an opinion poll about how good someone thinks the team is as opposed to what they've done on the field?

Does anyone know how that poll works?

^ just about to say the same about ECU lol. Those "rankings" are hilarious

F$U is 4
Clemson is 5
Louisville is 7
Notre Dame is 14
Miami is 22
UNC is 30
Pitt is 33
VT is 55
ECU is 61
Wake is 64
NC State is 72
Duke is 74
Boston College is 84
Syracuse is 93
Virginia is 117

So if we beat the teams ranked below us, we'll finish 7-5 (5-3) (Indiana is 46 and Army is 63).

Another look at the box score. Even if you took out their longest runs, Carney (16-53), Colburn (7-25), and Hinton (10-31) each averaged over 3 yards a carry. That speaks well for our ability to grind out yards. Hinton and Carney both have a nice ability to turn nothing into something.

Last edited:
Carney had a 30 yard run in which he bounced outside on the delayed handoff called back for holding as well

Carney had a 30 yard run in which he bounced outside on the delayed handoff called back for holding as well

Well we did hold a guy. It makes it a lot easier to bounce outside when your left tackle is grabbing on a guy so he can't set the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I was ready to say the zebras screwed us on that call, but the replay showed it was clearly a hold and the play probably goes nowhere without it.

Yes, I was ready to say the zebras screwed us on that call, but the replay showed it was clearly a hold and the play probably goes nowhere without it.

I thought the same thing at first, that it was not a hold. But we definitely grabbed the jersey with his left hand.

So if we beat the teams ranked below us, we'll finish 7-5 (5-3) (Indiana is 46 and Army is 63).

Another look at the box score. Even if you took out their longest runs, Carney (16-53), Colburn (7-25), and Hinton (10-31) each averaged over 3 yards a carry. That speaks well for our ability to grind out yards. Hinton and Carney both have a nice ability to turn nothing into something.

Yeah. For those that don't read my overly lengthy game summary, I track how many times the RBs gain at least three yards. It went up from 44% of carries against Tulane to 59% against Duke. However that 59% probably wouldn't have ranked in our top 2-3 games last year in terms of that stat, but it was one of the better performances.

Even more encouraging was the fact that the RBs had 7 carries of 6-9 yards, in addition to the two explosives.

Deac94, do you or anyone else know anything of importance about the Blue Hens?

Yeah. For those that don't read my overly lengthy game summary, I track how many times the RBs gain at least three yards. It went up from 44% of carries against Tulane to 59% against Duke. However that 59% probably wouldn't have ranked in our top 2-3 games last year in terms of that stat, but it was one of the better performances.

Even more encouraging was the fact that the RBs had 7 carries of 6-9 yards, in addition to the two explosives.

You need to get multiple backs into the second level to break a couple of long ones.

I just hope that Clawson is able to get across to the team that they better be ready to come out and play well Saturday because I still don't think we're good enough to take anybody lightly.

The Blue Hens are 2-0 having beaten FCS Delaware State and Lafayette by a combined 80 to 20 to open the season. The Delaware offense is focused on running the ball as the average more than 50 rushing attempts a game, and 335 ypg at 6.6 ypc. Their starting QB, Joe Walker, has only thrown the ball 24 times in 2 games, and his completion percentage is poor 45%, but he does average 5.9 ypc. Their starting TB, Wes Hills, ran for 212 yards in the opener, but must have been hurt against Lafayette as he started, but ended up with only one carry.

The Delaware defense, against FCS opponents, has only given a 56 yards rushing per game in its first two games, and only 186 yards per game total. Their best defensive player is linebacker Troy Reeder. He is a Penn State transfer that started 11 games for Penn State as a red-shirt frosh in 2015. Kind of stranre that a player who started 11 games as a red-shirt frosh would transfer (and it appears that Penn State's defense misses him), but Reeder is a Delaware native.

Hard to say how good Delaware is as they have struggled in recent years (they went 4-7 last year losing at UNC 41-14), but it appears that they are a better team this year.

Last edited:
Best thing we can do is keep the ball away from them. Grind it out and score TDs.

Back