• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke Game Review / Delaware Game Week Thread

"Their starting TB, Wes Hills, ran for 212 yards in the opener, but must have been hurt against Lafayette as he started, but ended up with only one carry."

He hurt his elbow on 2nd play. Need a status update on his availability this week. He is their best offensive player.

Can we get an injury update? Lewinson? Herron? Are they serious?

Can we get an injury update? Lewinson? Herron? Are they serious?

Lewinson appeared to return for a handful of snaps, so one would assume it wasn't serious but could limit him against Delaware.

Still waiting for word on Herron (knee) and Kemp (lower leg). Plus updates on Yarbary (who dressed but was a late scratch) and Jaboree Williams (who did not even dress per Les Johns on Twitter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Blue Hens are 2-0 having beaten FCS Delaware State and Lafayette by a combined 80 to 20 to open the season. The Delaware offense is focused on running the ball as the average more than 50 rushing attempts a game, and 335 ypg at 6.6 ypc. Their starting QB, Joe Walker, has only thrown the ball 24 times in 2 games, and his completion percentage is poor 45%, but he does average 5.9 ypc. Their starting TB, Wes Hills, ran for 212 yards in the opener, but must have been hurt against Lafayette as he started, but ended up with only one carry.

The Delaware defense, against FCS opponents, has only given a 56 yards rushing per game in its first two games, and only 186 yards per game total. Their best defensive player is linebacker Troy Reeder. He is a Penn State transfer that started 11 games for Penn State as a red-shirt frosh in 2015. Kind of stranre that a player who started 11 games as a red-shirt frosh would transfer (and it appears that Penn State's defense misses him), but Reeder is a Delaware native.

Hard to say how good Delaware is as they have struggled in recent years (they went 4-7 last year losing at UNC 41-14), but it appears that they are a better team this year.

Delaware State may go winless this year (or win 1-2 against the teams at the bottom of their conference). Lafayette aren't a playoff contender. The jury is still very much out on the Hens in the FCS this year.

I have to say that I am terribly disappointed to read that Clawson has come to his senses and started playing Hinton. I'd be just fine with Wolford getting the job back when Wake comes to IU.

Good luck against Delaware.

I just hope that Clawson is able to get across to the team that they better be ready to come out and play well Saturday because I still don't think we're good enough to take anybody lightly.

I know we had better not start counting our chickens.

The Blue Hens are 2-0 having beaten FCS Delaware State and Lafayette by a combined 80 to 20 to open the season. The Delaware offense is focused on running the ball as the average more than 50 rushing attempts a game, and 335 ypg at 6.6 ypc. Their starting QB, Joe Walker, has only thrown the ball 24 times in 2 games, and his completion percentage is poor 45%, but he does average 5.9 ypc. Their starting TB, Wes Hills, ran for 212 yards in the opener, but must have been hurt against Lafayette as he started, but ended up with only one carry.

The Delaware defense, against FCS opponents, has only given a 56 yards rushing per game in its first two games, and only 186 yards per game total. Their best defensive player is linebacker Troy Reeder. He is a Penn State transfer that started 11 games for Penn State as a red-shirt frosh in 2015. Kind of stranre that a player who started 11 games as a red-shirt frosh would transfer (and it appears that Penn State's defense misses him), but Reeder is a Delaware native.

Hard to say how good Delaware is as they have struggled in recent years (they went 4-7 last year losing at UNC 41-14), but it appears that they are a better team this year.

Alright I feel pretty good about our chances then.

My thoughts after watching from seats near the 50 in Wallace Wade [/humblebrag]:

1. Can't imagine there will be any more questions about who plays QB;
2. Hinton just makes plays- both with his feet and in the passing game;
3. Great to see the OL come together and create some holes- pass pro was still fairly sketchy; and
4. Carney and Colburn both did a good job of picking a hole and running downhill.

I am still very skeptical about the system on offense. There are so many things we don't EVER do, such as:

1. RB runs to the edge;
2. Any crossing routes;
3. Any deep stuff down the middle- our routes through 2 games have exclusively been 9 routes;
4. Any counter runs;
5. Any use of Serigne as a release/safety in the middle; or
6. Any jet sweeps.

We try to do some of those things through different concepts (orbit option, zone read with Hinton attacking the edge, but I would think we would do some more of it. If we could run a few jet sweeps with Hines/Wade, it would open up so many options for Hinton off of the boot- pitch to the RB, boot to Serigne, deep routes to the side opposite the run. I would also like to put some package plays in that include the smoke route/hitch off of the zone read.

I think the defense is passable, but not great. Duke is not a good team. Fortunately we have 6-7 more bad teams on the schedule (Del, Army, BC, Syr, NCSU, UVa, Ind). Just be mediocre and we could have a nice year.

Agree with all 6, but especially the lack of crossing routes and going to Serigne. I really think he is one of our best offensive weapons. Not to mention that the TE is the best way to get a passing game going anyway.

ETA: I was on record that we wouldn't beat Duke and was embarrassed by the way the game started. I do not understand why we have not played Hinton from the beginning. With our offensive difficulties it's obvious he is the more explosive play maker. Even if he isn't 100% perfect all the time. But overall I'm hopeful that we are moving in the right direction, and I give credit to Claw and the team on this one. It was a big and necessary win for Clawson and the team. Hopefully they will continue to surprise us this season with their progression.

Last edited:
Agree with all 6, but especially the lack of crossing routes and going to Serigne. I really think he is one of our best offensive weapons. Not to mention that the TE is the best way to get a passing game going anyway.

ETA: I was on record that we wouldn't beat Duke and was embarrassed by the way the game started. I do not understand why we have not played Hinton from the beginning. With our offensive difficulties it's obvious he is the more explosive play maker. Even if he isn't 100% perfect all the time. But overall I'm hopeful that we are moving in the right direction, and I give credit to Claw and the team on this one. It was a big and necessary win for Clawson and the team. Hopefully they will continue to surprise us this season with their progression.

Serigne was key it helping to spring running backs against Duke. If we can gain 250 on the ground it won't matter if he only catches one or two passes.

Serigne was key it helping to spring running backs against Duke. If we can gain 250 on the ground it won't matter if he only catches one or two passes.

Adding Pike in as tailback to help block was pretty nice. I liked that look.

Could be wrong, but I think that the coaches have made preventing turnovers priority #1 this season as WF has been awful in TO margin over the last two years, and it has killed WF.

As a result, the decision was made to limit the primary pass-running routes to either throws in the flat (which haven't been super-successful) or simply "go" routes straight downfield where the chances of a pick are limited, and if a pass is picked, the change in possession is not a huge loss as the ball is thrown downfield. Understand the frustration with not using more middle and deep crossing routes, but those are dangerous pass routes that are the easiest to pick, require a more sophisticated reading of the D as Hinton has to read more than just one safety before making the throw like he does when he throws deep on a sideline. He will get there, and one benefit of going with one starter is the ability to expand the playbook as Hinton gets more comfortable with the easier stuff.

Also, WF did use some reverse action option run plays with flanker trailing the QB after faking the handoff to the TB up the middle. They have not run basic reverse or jet sweeps. Would guess that is coming.

You could be on to something there, Pilchard. We've run more diverse patterns in the past so it's not like our coaches just don't have it in their playbook. Although... I don't remember seeing the "dangerous patterns" available for Wolford either. So it wouldn't be a Hinton-only practice, I guess.

Indiana game set for a 3:30 PM kick. Big Ten Net

Along the same lines, Delaware is the 31st best FCS team according to Sagarin.

According to the Sag ratings, Delaware is 14 points better than Nichols State who lost by 2 at Georgia on Saturday. These ratings don't have enough results in the database to have meaning. We will have a better idea when Vegas sets a line. Unfortunately, Vegas typically doesn't set lines on FBS versus FCS games until later in the week, while the intra FBS lines are out on Sunday night.

Indiana game scheduled for 3:30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any online option for the Big Ten Network? I am out of town.

Does the DirecTV app allow you to watch Big Ten Network?

Near certain you can stream BTN if you're a subscriber

Back