• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke is smarter than everyone else

RicoSuave

Reaction score
Duke is nationally ranked. In football. Duke.

Would anybody have predicted this? I think this most unlikely of events happened only because Duke is smarter than everybody else and did things the right way.

I ran some statistics that may surprise you:

Duke is only 1 of 2 BCS conference teams to keep their same head coach after 4 consective seasons of non-winning-but-not-necessarily-losing records. 1 of only 2 such teams.

While fans of schools such as UNC and NC State and several SEC schools demand the firing of their coach after a single losing season, Duke was smart enough to stand by a coach who brought honor and dignity to their program. Those other schools send coaches in and out of their revolving doors without so much as a bowl win (and UNC got NCAA sanctions to boot, while NC State just got everybody laughing at them). I have a theory that the fan bases who demand a new coach every year do so because most of their fans have never seen a college campus and they need a good football game to watch to compensate for their lack of success in life. For some people, having wood-panel facing on their kitchen appliances is their crowning achievement in life.

But Duke was different. Their patience paid off, and their miracle season is finally here. Who knows how long it will last?

Cutcliffe won 6 games from 2010 to 2011, his low points. Duke won four games total in the four years before Cutcliffe arrived.

Cutcliffe won 6 games from 2010 to 2011, his low points. Duke won four games total in the four years before Cutcliffe arrived.

Exactly! Non-winning seasons. And their fanbase still stood by him.

This is such a dumb thread but I'll play along. Duke had won 14 games in the seven years before Cutcliffe got there. They won 17 games in his first four years. Their expectations were so low they were never going to fire Cutcliffe until he had been there a long period of time. Duke is not an example that other schools should be comparing themselves to as far as coaching hires and fanbase temperature goes because the fan base didn't give two shits about football until (to some extent last year I suppose) this year.

Duke is not an example that other schools should be comparing themselves to as far as coaching hires and fanbase temperature goes because the fan base didn't give two shits about football until (to some extent last year I suppose) this year.

So how does Duke's record compare to UNC and NC State this season? You don't think those schools would enjoy being nationally ranked? You don't think those schools now feel foolish with their coaching revolving-door policies?

That's a complete non-sequitur. The obvious point of the thread was that "Duke was smarter than everybody else and did things the right way" by keeping their coach for a fifth season after having four non-winning seasons. The counter to this: Wake did this too and we're 4-6.

But no I don't think UNC or State feels foolish about hiring a new coach.

Last edited:
Thanks for proving my point, Numbers! Wake is the other BCS-Conference school besides Duke to keep the same HC after 4 consecutive seasons of non-winning-but-not-necessarily-losing records.

And during Grobe's tenure, Wake's record against the much larger and stronger NC State and UNC teams has been very good. I'm glad we've done things the right way are aren't like NC State and UNC.

You know you're right when Numbers starts neg-repping you and using phrases like "non-sequitur". LOL

That's a complete non-sequitur. The obvious point of the thread was that "Duke was smarter than everybody else and did things the right way" by keeping their coach for a fifth season after having four straight losing seasons. The counter to this: Wake did this too and we're 4-6.

But no I don't think UNC or State feels foolish about hiring a new coach.

UNC - violations dictated the change
NCSU - AD & Coach ego battle = coach loses when team loses

I see comparisons Wake to when Grobe first arrived. Solid staff, pain in the ass against the teams they played. Grobe has a much worse staff now and too much complacency. I think Cutcliffe has enough fire to keep Duke competitive awhile.

State's problem is they think they are a football powerhouse.

The tar holes think they should win because they are the tar holes.

Both fan bases are impatient and expect to be national contenders based on nothing.

dook sucked so bad that being patient with Cutcliffe was easy. So what if they stuck with him? Could it get any worse?

Thanks for proving my point, Numbers! Wake is the other BCS-Conference school besides Duke to keep the same HC after 4 consecutive seasons of non-winning-but-not-necessarily-losing records.

And during Grobe's tenure, Wake's record against the much larger and stronger NC State and UNC teams has been very good. I'm glad we've done things the right way are aren't like NC State and UNC.

What are UNC and State like? I don't understand. You're against firing coaches who teams feel are bad fits for the team? What is this boogeyman you're attacking?

I didn't realize NC State was 0-7 in conference - and Maryland is probably going to beat them as well to put them at 0-8.

I mean... Damn.

You're against firing coaches who teams feel are bad fits for the team?

Exactly which teams feel that their coaches are bad fits? Do you know something about Duke's football players that I don't know? If you had a team revolting against its head coach I would expect that to be all over the sports media, both locally and nationally.

More people were probably in attendence at Wallace Wade this weekend then saw all of the games there in '09. The Duke football band wagon wasn't that big back then. Cut has succeeded on the recruiting trail (see Jela Duncan et al) and having the Mannings hanging out there in the off season helps too. But this is cyclical. Look at 'Bama before Saban. Duke has found the right guy for them, just as Grobe was the right guy for us, for awhile.

Exactly which teams feel that their coaches are bad fits? Do you know something about Duke's football players that I don't know? If you had a team revolting against its head coach I would expect that to be all over the sports media, both locally and nationally.

What?

Tampa Bay Bucs, Rutgers, USC w/Kiffin, or Wake were the coach revolts against his team every november.

Poor bid. This might be the first time he's been intentionally funny in his boards existence and nobody is getting it.

Back