• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke Mosby/Nick Knott

Can we just legalize pot already? If that's what it's for, this is so frustrating.

OH NOES! COLLEGE STUDENTS SMOKING THE WEEDS!

Well they could have just smoked the fake stuff and been suspended for one game...

...or maybe that only happens at LSU.

Grobe mentions Souza playing in the article; I thought Souza was out for the season with some type of back injury. Can anyone clarify?

Can we just legalize pot already? If that's what it's for, this is so frustrating.

I agree about the legalization argument. But who's to say that the legality of it has anything to do with Grobe's rules about it for the team?

I agree about the legalization argument. But who's to say that the legality of it has anything to do with Grobe's rules about it for the team?

Well, I've seen a ton of football players drinking, so I have a hard time believing he'd care as long as they're doing everything else right.

Well, I've seen a ton of football players drinking, so I have a hard time believing he'd care as long as they're doing everything else right.

You never know. To Grobe, and even to the parents of our players, smoking weed usually has a very different stigma than it does to those of us that are in later generations (18-40). I could very easily see "no pot" being an expectation that Grobe lays out with his players and their families no matter what the law says. He's an old school coach. If the players know the rules, and they break them anyway, then they face the consequences. I don't really care what the law says about pot if Grobe tells his players it's not something he wants to tolerate.

You never know. To Grobe, and even to the parents of our players, smoking weed usually has a very different stigma than it does to those of us that are in later generations (18-40). I could very easily see "no pot" being an expectation that Grobe lays out with his players and their families no matter what the law says. He's an old school coach. If the players know the rules, and they break them anyway, then they face the consequences. I don't really care what the law says about pot if Grobe tells his players it's not something he wants to tolerate.

When I was in high school we were kicked off the team if we were caught using tobacco products during the season, even though at that time (I'm dating myself here) we had a "smoking and dipping" area at our school. Of course back then we also had a shooting team and it was very common for students to have shotguns, rifles, and bows sitting on the gun rack in their truck parked in the school parking lot. Also, pretty much every male carried some sort of pocket knife to school. My how times have changed.

i would have trouble with the athletic department using funds to administer drug tests for something that wasn't illegal.

I had to sign a no tobacco, booze, or drugs pledge on campus or off.

Didn't matter that I was 18 and could legally smoke.

i would have trouble with the athletic department using funds to administer drug tests for something that wasn't illegal.

It's not illegal to use steroids or other performance enhancing drugs if you have a prescription, but they are tested for and banned in sports. So there is a precedence.

why would marijuana be banned? lineman would be able to eat more?

Not me. Grobe sets the rules for the team and spends his budget as he sees fit. If he believes that encouraging kids not to smoke pot makes them better football players, then test away. His team, his call. There's nothing illegal about a kid taking money from a booster, but I have no problem with the athletic department spending money to make sure it doesn't happen.

It would be fun to see if all of the coaches on staff could pass the drug test.

what a dumb comparison. give me a break.

How so? There are many non-illegal things that a Wake Forest football player isn't allowed to do if he wants to stay on the team. Hell, the coaches control and monitor when the players have to be in their hotel/dorm rooms on game weekends. How is that any different from Coach Grobe telling a player that he can't smoke pot if he wants to be a part of the team, no matter what the law says about it?

There's nothing illegal about drinking, but if I show up at work drunk, I'm going to get fired. There are rules for all sorts of things we do that exist outside of what's legal/illegal. If I want to eat at McDonald's, I've gotta wear a shirt and shoes. It seems like pot being legal is just too much of a hot button issue for you, so you are making the false connection that being legal = being allowed anywhere/everywhere without any rules/consequences.

Last edited:
I think pot should be legalized, but what is the argument even about here? It's illegal, and if you get caught doing it, you should get in trouble for it. I disagree with the law a lot, but that doesn't mean that these guys should be able to break the law and stay on the team. I don't think Grobe tolerates drinking by underage players either. I remember people getting in trouble for it (not getting kicked off the team though on first offense, which I doubt this is Mosby and Knott's first chance).

Back