• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke????

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
How is it that Duke seems to have 5 or 6 guys every year that can shoot the 3 almost every year and we have struggled for years to have at most 1 it seems at any given time? When's the last time we had more than 1 really good 3 point threat? Since Chill and Rusty played together? I mean heck, Miles freaking Overton is becoming one of our best 3 point threats, let that sink in for a minute. I want a freaking coach that can recruit some shooters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

How is it that Duke seems to have 5 or 6 guys every year that can shoot the 3 almost every year and we have struggled for years to have at most 1 it seems at any given time? When's the last time we had more than 1 really good 3 point threat? Since Chill and Rusty played together? I mean heck, Miles freaking Overton is becoming one of our best 3 point threats, let that sink in for a minute. I want a freaking coach that can recruit some shooters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Gray, Paul, Downey. But to answer your initial question, it's obviously poor recruiting.

Gray, Paul, Downey. But to answer your initial question, it's obviously poor recruiting.

Yeah those guys could all shoot the 3. I guess I just don't think of CP3 as a 3-point shooter, but he could knock it down given the chance.

Yeah those guys could all shoot the 3. I guess I just don't think of CP3 as a 3-point shooter, but he could knock it down given the chance.

Yeah we had guys who were decent shooters but that wasn't what they are initially known for. Rarely have we recruited a guy who was a shooter first... And they also panned out.

He shot >45% both seasons, but Gray and Downey took them much more frequently.

740959516_1368815519.jpg

Perfect example was game last night. We scored 25 points the first 10 minutes and was shooting over 50 %. Then we reverted to our form and were held bucketless the last 7 minutes until a layup at end of half.

It was a comment on 3pt%, not quality of player. CP3 wasn't known as the 3 point that mainly because of volume compared to the other 2.

Hell, Weaver had a better 3 pt% than all 3.

In 2005, Downey shot 54-129 & CP3 shot 46-97. He definitely deserves to be considered a 3 point shooter that season. Buzz thought he had a sharp shooter in Chase, but obviously that didn't turn out like he expected.

And while we're at it, why does Duke always seem to have better rebounders, dunkers, passers, defenders, ball handlers, and post play?

Ricardo Peral! If I remember correctly, he led the nation in 3pt percentage his junior year.

Our lack of shooters is maddeningly frustrating. Shooting should (theoretically) be an easy skill to recruit. Every kid on the playground shoots a million shots a day - there have to be a ton of kids out there that can shoot - you would think. We need 3-point shooters, for sure, but we also need kids that can make 15-17 footers on a consistent basis. How much would you give to have Songaila right now - he was money with those little mid-range jumpers! Instead we have people like 'Tree and BillMoto and Madison and others who, whatever other skills they might have, cannot shoot a consistent jumper to save their lives!

And while we're at it, why does Duke always seem to have better rebounders, dunkers, passers, defenders, ball handlers, and post play?

Duke just seems a little bit different in that they always seem to have 4, 5 or even 6 guys that can really shoot the 3, when even the other elite teams might have only a couple. I give Ratface credit, he knows the type of players he needs to play the way he wants to play.

Our lack of shooters is maddeningly frustrating. Shooting should (theoretically) be an easy skill to recruit. Every kid on the playground shoots a million shots a day - there have to be a ton of kids out there that can shoot - you would think. We need 3-point shooters, for sure, but we also need kids that can make 15-17 footers on a consistent basis. How much would you give to have Songaila right now - he was money with those little mid-range jumpers! Instead we have people like 'Tree and BillMoto and Madison and others who, whatever other skills they might have, cannot shoot a consistent jumper to save their lives!

Which is why Darius played in the nba. Our recruiting has fallen off dramatically. We have some solid athletes but unfortunately basketball is generally a game of shooting/scoring.

Duke just seems a little bit different in that they always seem to have 4, 5 or even 6 guys that can really shoot the 3, when even the other elite teams might have only a couple. I give Ratface credit, he knows the type of players he needs to play the way he wants to play.
Yep. He hasn't gone after the one-and-done types as often as Roy, Calipari, and Self. So he gets guys who are less athletic but more skilled. Not sure if that's the right strategy to beat Self and Calipari, but it sure beats us.

Back