• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dumping Time Warner Cable

If all of this is 100% accurate, I would take this to WXII or WGHP for an investigative story angle and see if they pick it up. Not sure how "in the bed" the local media is with TWC. So, that strategy may go nowhere.
Next, you could try print media such as the Journal but, there again, the good-ol-boy network of advertising dollars may block this approach as well.

Unfortunately, the only way to deal with asshole companies like TWC is to flush them out of their hole and expose them publicly. They'll do nothing but deny and stonewall until someone shoves a microphone under their nose and asks for answers on your behalf. I guess there's always the legal route but I'm not an attorney so I have no idea if you have any grounds legally. If you were threatened, I would certainly think so.

I guess you could always try escalating within TWC. However, the higher up you go, the more bankrupted the soul with whom you'll deal. But, maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who gives a damn. I wouldn't hold my breath.

TWC denies responsibility for everything. Try telling them you're not responsible for your monthly payment being delayed by the postal service and watch their reaction.

Good luck. I want to hear how this one is resolved.

ETA: Lewisville doesn't have a police force. Lewisville and Clemmons are both policed by the WSFC Sheriff's department.

This gets absolutely shit-balls insane... so hold on.

I signed up for TWC last month when we moved to W-S.

They missed ~7 appointments for the install with no real apology or explanation. The level of frustration here just cannot be described. Phone calls/tweets/emails went absolutely nowhere. I was "compensated" by not having to pay for the service while we didn't have it. Very generous, TWC.

A huge cord was left lying across our street for almost three weeks. TWC kept having people call and explain to me what a 'business day' is (their "records" were constantly changed to reflect the (not true) date the cord was laid, so it appeared they were still in a 7-10 day window). The new neighbors love us.

So, anyway... Our service was finally "started" near the end of July. It has gone out pretty regularly (at least 1X per day), and the router pretty much has to be reset whenever we turn a device on.

I sent a tweet last night to @TWC_Help around 9 p.m. saying that our service was out again, and asking how I should feel about receiving a bill for the full amount for our first month of "service".

At around 11:30 p.m., I get a call from a restricted #. I was asleep, but it woke my wife up...

11:45 p.m., I get another call from a restricted #. This one I answer.

The guy on the other end of the line says he's a technician with Time Warner, named Dwight. The first thing he says to me is "Are we going to get this shit fixed?". He asks me what issues we're having and I tell him that we're sleeping and we'll have to deal with it in the morning.

He proceeds to call me a "lazy motherfucker" and an "asshole".

He asks to speak to my wife. I tell him that she can hear him.

He then asks "how well I fucked (her)* to put her to sleep".

Time Warner denies any involvement.

The Supervisor at the Hanes Mall location (who I met with in person today), agreed that it sounded like a pissed off contractor but he said they had no control or responsibility over that...

I guess I should talk to the police? What the absolute hell....

ETA: the guy on the phone last night, directly told me to delete anything negative I've posted about TWC from the interwebz.

* SIC: "that bitch"

Last edited:
Whoever called, clearly recorded the call. Not that it does me any good.

My voice actually came back over the line 3 or 4 times saying "is this real?" and the guy mockingly asked why I kept saying that.

These are all details I distinctly remembered but verified with my wife (who was already awake from the 1st call).

Truly insane. I don't even know the police set up here (does Lewisville have their own dept.?). I think I've decided it's best to at least get this stuff on record as a concern.

??? I'm at a loss.

Call the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office - 727-2112. They handle policing for Lewisville.

So I'm planning to pull the plug on TWC and move to DirecTV. Three questions:

-What's the best ISP in Winston-Salem?
-Should I pay for a protection plan with DirecTV?
-Anyone a current DirecTV customer who wants to give me a referral?

Forsyth PD said there is nothing criminal to investigate and they have no ability to find out who called from the restricted #

If you can get Northstate, do it and don't look back. When I get back home, I'll pm my account number if you'd like.

We do the basic receiver coverage with DTV. Nothing above that. It gets us priority response if something happens to a receiver, which seems to happen every couple of years.

I can refer you. Shoot me a PM.

Forsyth PD said there is nothing criminal to investigate and they have no ability to find out who called from the restricted #

you called the police because someone used a few swear words in speaking to you on the phone? Good lord.

I've got directv and love it but was forced to go through Comcast for Internet.

Does anyone have or know anything about AT&T Gigapower? Got a letter in the mail that said my condo was already wired for it and the cost is lower than shitty comcast.

I appreciate all the offers for DirecTV referrals. It turns out another promo I signed up under can't be combined with the referral deal so my apologies to all who offered.

We went with DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse for Internet and have been very happy so far. Time Warner begged me to stay and threw all kinds of discount offers my way - it was a bit pathetic - but I had no interest in sticking with them and they finally gave up and cancelled my account.

Something weird is going on with my ATT Uverse account. I have had them for seven years. I add and drop packages on line a lot. At the end of football season I dump the HD Premium tier. At the end of basketball season I dump the Pac-12 network. All of it is really easy to do online. But recently whenever I go to make a change online it tells me to call to make changes. The person on the other end says they are "upgrading" their website and I can only make changes by calling them. I feel pretty certain they are lying to me. Because none of them have heard of it until they put me on hold and come back magically with the answer. I think I hit some change quota and now I am being forced to call to make a change so they can try to sell me something else. I keep asking about it and they of course say they don't know when it will be resolved, but KEEP CHECKING. Calling their call centers take years off my life every minute. I hate them.

If all of this is 100% accurate, I would take this to WXII or WGHP for an investigative story angle and see if they pick it up. Not sure how "in the bed" the local media is with TWC. So, that strategy may go nowhere.
Next, you could try print media such as the Journal but, there again, the good-ol-boy network of advertising dollars may block this approach as well.

Unfortunately, the only way to deal with asshole companies like TWC is to flush them out of their hole and expose them publicly. They'll do nothing but deny and stonewall until someone shoves a microphone under their nose and asks for answers on your behalf. I guess there's always the legal route but I'm not an attorney so I have no idea if you have any grounds legally. If you were threatened, I would certainly think so.

I guess you could always try escalating within TWC. However, the higher up you go, the more bankrupted the soul with whom you'll deal. But, maybe you'll get lucky and find someone who gives a damn. I wouldn't hold my breath.

TWC denies responsibility for everything. Try telling them you're not responsible for your monthly payment being delayed by the postal service and watch their reaction.

Good luck. I want to hear how this one is resolved.

ETA: Lewisville doesn't have a police force. Lewisville and Clemmons are both policed by the WSFC Sheriff's department.

Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General complaints are options. TWC likely would have to issue a written response to letters sent from either agency. TWC will have some bs explanation, and that is probably as far is it would go. But at least you would have the satisfaction of issuing the complaint and forcing TWC to explain. And BBB/AG tends to get company's attention. And if BBB/AG gets subsequent complaints of this nature (or has received prior ones), it might pursue the matter further.

I appreciate all the offers for DirecTV referrals. It turns out another promo I signed up under can't be combined with the referral deal so my apologies to all who offered.

We went with DirecTV and AT&T U-Verse for Internet and have been very happy so far. Time Warner begged me to stay and threw all kinds of discount offers my way - it was a bit pathetic - but I had no interest in sticking with them and they finally gave up and cancelled my account.

I've referred many people, but never gotten referral credit because the intro deal is always way better than the bill credit. I think the referral credit is a sham.

Does anyone have or know anything about AT&T Gigapower? Got a letter in the mail that said my condo was already wired for it and the cost is lower than shitty comcast.

I changed from TWC to AT&T U-Verse when Gigapower became available in my area. I found TWC internet fast enough, but Gigapower is definitely faster.

In signing up on-line, I was able to combine Gigapower (at a discount) with the biggest tv package (also at a discount). I have a one year contract, but a three year price guarantee (that you can only get by including Gigapower). I'm getting a lot more channels, I have better internet speed, and significantly better equipment from AT&T for less than I was paying TWC.

Very happy right now, and glad that I don't have to haggle with a company for three years.

Back