• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eamonn on Chrissy Collins @ Northwestern

Look at Carmody's first eight years at Northwestern and tell me why, exactly, he should have been brought back year after year after year - all of the "success" that he had at Northwestern wasn't until ninth season on the job. That's what I'm referring to when I link him to Bz.

He was historically competitive?

Look at Carmody's first eight years at Northwestern and tell me why, exactly, he should have been brought back year after year after year - all of the "success" that he had at Northwestern wasn't until ninth season on the job. That's what I'm referring to when I link him to Bz.

From 1983 to Carmody's hiring (1999), Northwestern's high water mark was 15 wins (twice). He exceeded that in year 3. In fact, his 16 wins that year was 2nd highest in Northwestern basketball history. During the '80s and '90s, Northwestern had 14 single digit win seasons. Carmody only had two, including his first year (Kevin O'Neill was his predecessor so hardly fair to even count that against him).

Let me reiterate, Northwestern is an absolutely lousy basketball program. Carmody brought them respectability, which was a hell of a lot more than they ever had previously.

ETA: I absolutely understand why they decided to move on, but I also understand why they did it when they did it instead of earlier in his tenure.

You've got your facts wrong, Carmody wasn't hired until 2000 and he had one season of less than ten wins, 2008, his 8th season on the job. It was very clearly by that point that he wasn't going to get Northwestern over the hump and he should have been let go. And I'm well aware of just how historically uncompetitive Northwestern is, my brother and cousin both attended and I live in Chicago, so I've been to plenty of games - the fact that they're historically terrible shouldn't be a reason to keep a slightly less terrible coach.

My mistake. And, yes, you have to evaluate coaches within the resources that they have. That doesn't just mean budget or facilities, but also recruiting brand and academic expectations. The latter two do not favor Northwestern having a very good program. Should Grobe have been fired after 2005?

My mistake. And, yes, you have to evaluate coaches within the resources that they have. That doesn't just mean budget or facilities, but also recruiting brand and academic expectations. The latter two do not favor Northwestern having a very good program. Should Grobe have been fired after 2005?

Grobe would have had to put together three or four more consecutive losing seasons after 2005 to do what Carmody did at Northwestern.

That certainly wasn't the intent of my post. My point was that the energy and leadership that Collins has brought to that program is exactly what ours is missing under Bz (and has been missing since Skip passed).

Yep - totally get that. I agree with your point - unfortunately it created a holy fuck moment in the process

Carmody took a Princeton team to a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament, won a tournament game, went to the post-season in all four of his seasons as an Ivy League head coach, and his hiring by Northwestern at least made sense at the time. Comparing him to Bzzz is an insult.

Back