• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ed Schultz screws up

bush should have been standing on the louisiana coast like gandalf facing off against the balrog

alas, he is a white republican so he was off doing white republican things.

Because it matters what the president was doing and how quickly he could get to the disaster. You said the shoe was on the other foot, implying that Bush and Katrina = Obama and Joplin. I say it doesn't for three reasons: (1) Bush knew Katrina was coming and Obama didn't, (2) Bush was in the US and Obama was conducting foreign diplomacy overseas, and (3) the size, magnitude, and federal role of the disasters were completely different.

You've done nothing to address these holes in your argument.

Nobody anticipated what Katrina brought --- revisionist schlock.

Just like both Tsunami's in the last ten years...nobody expected such devastation.

Let us all try and remember that President's have a pretty full plate... You can see how quickly Barack has turned gray and it is for good reason. He inherited one of the worst situations I can imagine any president walking into. For his part, George W. also aged considerably. I balk at the suggestion that either man "doesn't care" about certain segments of Americans.

Just like both Tsunami's in the last ten years...nobody expected such devastation.

Let us all try and remember that President's have a pretty full plate... You can see how quickly Barack has turned gray and it is for good reason. He inherited one of the worst situations I can imagine any president walking into. For his part, George W. also aged considerably. I balk at the suggestion that either man "doesn't care" about certain segments of Americans.

People track hurricanes, not tornadoes. Everybody knew Katrina was going to hit as a Cat 3 or 4.

I wouldn't say they don't care about certain segments, but I would say that politicians care more about certain segments.

People track hurricanes, not tornadoes. Everybody knew Katrina was going to hit as a Cat 3 or 4.

They had no idea those levees would breach.

Louisiana politicians and their basic corruptness and ineffectiveness in dealing with the potentials are mostly to blame for the levees and the lack of repair, extension and maintenance.

I though the levees were an Army Corps of Engineers issue.

They had no idea those levees would breach.

Louisiana politicians and their basic corruptness and ineffectiveness in dealing with the potentials are mostly to blame for the levees and the lack of repair, extension and maintenance.

That is complete rubbish. I was at the beach in NC when Katrina was coming. You could see what was going to happen. My wife had just read an article about what would happen if a cat 5 hit New Orleans earlier in the summer. We talked about that possibility before the hurricane hit land. To say that no one knew the levees might breach is preposterous.

That is complete rubbish. I was at the beach in NC when Katrina was coming. You could see what was going to happen. My wife had just read an article about what would happen if a cat 5 hit New Orleans earlier in the summer. We talked about that possibility before the hurricane hit land. To say that no one knew the levees might breach is preposterous.

No kidding. The city was evacuated for a reason.

Yes, the build-up to Katrina was like the week before the Super Bowl; everybody was watching news of the upcoming event. I remember wondering for days how terrible it would be. Going up in the attic and waiting to be rescued wasn't a very smart approach.

Yes, the build-up to Katrina was like the week before the Super Bowl; everybody was watching news of the upcoming event. I remember wondering for days how terrible it would be. Going up in the attic and waiting to be rescued wasn't a very smart approach.

And there was no excuse for the POTUS not to be ready to act. Comparing Obama and Joplin to Bush and Katrina is ridiculous. Hurricanes and tornadoes are completely different types of events.

Which was Stephen Hawking-esque compared to what W did. W failed worse than POTUS in US history in handling of a major disaster. There isn't a close second.

Which was Stephen Hawking-esque compared to what W did. W failed worse than POTUS in US history in handling of a major disaster. There isn't a close second.

W's mistake was trusting the idiot he appointed to run FEMA. Hindsight says he should have been more hands on, but the reality is that the man he appointed shouldn't have bungled things as badly as he did. Horrible appointment on his part and he deserves the blame for it.

And W should have done more than just wave from the plane as he flew over N.O. a couple of days after Katrina.

And W should have done more than just wave from the plane as he flew over N.O. a couple of days after Katrina.

No disagreement here.

My point is that by the time everyone realized Brown was a colossal fuck up it was way too late for Bush to do anything to help the situation. Sadly for the people of New Orleans, that took a few days.

No disagreement here.

My point is that by the time everyone realized Brown was a colossal fuck up it was way too late for Bush to do anything to help the situation. Sadly for the people of New Orleans, that took a few days.

Many people opposed his being put into the job.

BEFORE Katrina hit land nothing was done. His incompetnence was known then.

It's also 100% W's fault for putting him into the job. It's also W's fault for putting FEMA in Homeland Security and creating unnecessary added bureaucracy.

W will be remembered in a similar fashion as Nero has been.

Many people opposed his being put into the job.

BEFORE Katrina hit land nothing was done. His incompetnence was known then.

It's also 100% W's fault for putting him into the job. It's also W's fault for putting FEMA in Homeland Security and creating unnecessary added bureaucracy.

W will be remembered in a similar fashion as Nero has been.

That last sentence took an already ridiculous post to a whole new level. Nero is widely regarded as one of the worst leaders and most evil men of all time. He murdered his entire family because he was afraid of losing power, wasted millions on decadent games to boost his own popularity, arbitrarily murdered anyone who might potentially become a political opponent, and blamed Christians for the Great Fire. He had them executed by throwing them to dogs, crucifying them, and dipping them in tar and then burning them for night illumination.

But yeah, apt comparison.

Nero fiddled as Rome burned. That's the analogy.

W was on vacation as American city was laid to waste and took over a wek to get there from one state over.

That last sentence took an already ridiculous post to a whole new level. Nero is widely regarded as one of the worst leaders and most evil men of all time. He murdered his entire family because he was afraid of losing power, wasted millions on decadent games to boost his own popularity, arbitrarily murdered anyone who might potentially become a political opponent, and blamed Christians for the Great Fire. He had them executed by throwing them to dogs, crucifying them, and dipping them in tar and then burning them for night illumination.

But yeah, apt comparison.

There are many people in Iraq who would probably agree that this is indeed an apt comparison. (And plenty of other places too.)

Last edited:
There are many people in Iraq who would probably agree that this is indeed an apt comparison. (And plenty of other places too.)

Uh, no. Using that logic, Kennedy and Stalin are comparable. Get a grip. Just because he started a war, that doesn't make him a mass murderer.

Back