• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eight Best Beer Towns in America

Chicago and the A deserve Hon Mention.

I'd put Denver #1

I would put Denver #1 as well. Then prob Boston. And then some of the west coast towns.

Maybe Portland #3 from what I hear, but haven't been out there in a while. San Diego, maybe sneaks in the top ten, but it shouldn't be that high.

St Louis should def be on there, but more because of its history than what it is right now.

Last edited:
I've seen many a man "get over it" and drink a blueberry ale from Boston Beer Works. I think we do have a pretty solid beer scene. I'm not familiar enough with other cities to really judge other places.

Funny that Asheville is on the list and I don't recall trying anything from there during my time at Wake.

I've seen many a man "get over it" and drink a blueberry ale from Boston Beer Works. I think we do have a pretty solid beer scene. I'm not familiar enough with other cities to really judge other places.

Funny that Asheville is on the list and I don't recall trying anything from there during my time at Wake.

You never had a Highland Gaelic Ale?

I would put Denver #1 as well. Then prob Boston. And then some of the west coast towns.

Maybe Portland #3 from what I hear, but haven't been out there in a while. San Diego, maybe sneaks in the top ten, but it shouldn't be that high.

St Louis should def be on there, but more because of its history than what it is right now.

san diego should be that high if stone was the only brewery out there.

Not having St. Louis on there is silly. That whole city revolves around beer, and not just A-B. They have some great beer events and festivals for all the craft breweries in the city and region.

4real. This guy gets it.

I'm fine with Boston on the list, I think of it as a regional hub because the best beers you buy aren't from Boston, but rather Maine, Vermont and western MA.

Having lived on the east coast for most of my life and then spending the last decade in Oregon, I can assure you that Portland deserves to be No. 1 and Bend certainly belongs in the Top 10. As Milhouse mentioned, Stone by itself warrants San Diego being on this list, and Denver is a pretty kick-ass beer city as well. I'm not saying there aren't some quality breweries on the east coast, but on the whole, the west coast beer scene is vastly superior.

Having lived on the east coast for most of my life and then spending the last decade in Oregon, I can assure you that Portland deserves to be No. 1 and Bend certainly belongs in the Top 10. As Milhouse mentioned, Stone by itself warrants San Diego being on this list, and Denver is a pretty kick-ass beer city as well. I'm not saying there aren't some quality breweries on the east coast, but on the whole, the west coast beer scene is vastly superior.

Yep.
As for Asheville, I feel that's a distinction for them that's grown even since I graduated from Wake (in 2008) so people saying "I don't remember anything special..." you're right, you probably don't. Having been there just two weeks ago now after living in Portland for two years, I can truly say and believe that the beer scene is incredible.

Phillies are you old enough to remember the Fab Four of Philly beers?

Schmidt's
Ortlieb's
Ballentine
Valley Forge

RJ drank Sam Adams' beer. THE Sam Adams. #old

i have heard (read/dreamt) that the plans sierra nevada has for the asheville brewery are amazing. i'm talking hiking trails, camping and some type of music venue. hope it's true.

i have heard (read/dreamt) that the plans sierra nevada has for the asheville brewery are amazing. i'm talking hiking trails, camping and some type of music venue. hope it's true.

That's accurate. I have a really close friend who works for Sierra Nevada in Asheville heading up all of the NC promotions and tie-ins in anticipation of the brewery opening. .

Restaurant
Amphitheater (think americana/traditional top acts)
Hiking trials
Camping
Etc.

Last edited:

oh man, that'd be so awesome if true.

(i also hope it involves serving their mustard on absolutely every food they serve. because seriously, guys, it's that good)

I only named Gaelic because it's the most widespread of their offerings. Gotta disagree about not missing much. Highland's Cold Mountain Winter, Clawhammer Oktoberfest, and Black Mocha Stout are all awesome.

awesome must mean something different to you.

look, highland makes some decent craft beer. if you're in the asheville area there are a lot better options.

awesome must mean something different to you.

look, highland makes some decent craft beer. if you're in the asheville area there are a lot better options.

oh definitely. Pisgah and Green Man both make much better beer. But those are mostly local-only. Highland has statewide distribution. I was just surprised someone made it through Wake in the last 15 years without encountering Highland Gaelic at some point

Back