• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Election Day 2018

A lot of people are under that impression. If I remember correctly, mail in voters are only counted near Election Day if the race is close enough for them to matter. Otherwise the race is called without them. Democrats in FL made a big push for mail in ballots to try to increase GOTV. I’ll never do it because I don’t trust Republicans to count votes for obvious reasons.

Brian Kemp’s lead over Stacey Abrams narrows amid voting complaints in Georgia governor’s race

Another problem was the limited number of voting machines in some locations. More than 1,800 machines sat idle in storage in three of the state’s largest and most heavily Democratic counties. In Fulton County, according to figures provided by elections director Rick Barron, the ratio of machines to registered voters was lower than it had been in 2014, despite predictions that turnout was likely to break records for a midterm election.

While some voters waited in hours-long lines in Fulton County, 700 of those machines sat in stacks in a warehouse in downtown Atlanta, Barron said. The machines were sidelined because they are evidence in a lawsuit alleging the equipment had been exposed to the threat of hacking in 2016.

The federal judge in the case had ordered state and local election officials — including Kemp — and the plaintiffs to weigh the demands of upcoming elections in deciding how many machines to set aside.

In an interview, Barron said more machines “would have made a huge impact on operations yesterday” and acknowledged that “it would have been a good idea” to push for the use of more machines before Election Day.

“The lines were long in the morning and we just didn’t have any machines to throw out there,” he said.

Kemp winning should be a huge rallying cry for all minorities and disenfranchised people to show up in 2020.

Kemp winning should be a huge rallying cry for all minorities and disenfranchised people to show up in 2020.

Yeah, those demographics didn't really have a rallying cry for this election.

Dumbass.

Sign posted by a local church serving as a polling place:

45474930_10216900783022131_7298383289813827584_n.jpg

Church Loses Status As Polling Place Over Controversial Sign

A New Port Richey church has lost its status as a Pasco County polling place due to a controversial sign placed on the property.

https://patch.com/florida/carrollwo...pXXSJBKt7iTghwubp0lKQXsg1fo1b9cgZE3K-R3BmalZ0

He said he saw this as an opportunity to spread God's message.
"My sign wasn't directed at any one person," he said. "It was directed at a platform -- of abortions, same-sex marriage, open borders. There is a line drawn in the sand by Jesus that we ought not cross."

WTF did Jesus say about abortions, same-sex marriage, and open borders?

I hadn't really thought about it before this election, but using churches as polling places directly conflicts with separation of church and state. It could explain some late movement to Republicans in elections. People plan to vote Dem and then show up at a church which subconsciously primes them to vote Republican.

Fox News has gone all-in on pushing the "LibDems stealing the election!" shit. Their website has the headline "New votes turn up in mystery truck deliveries, spark fraud charges as Fla. election day results in jeopardy". Note the "in jeopardy" line - the results aren't "in jeopardy" unless you're a Republican. Virtually everything they've written thus far about the Florida Senate and Governor's races over the past couple of days has clearly been written in such a way as to convince readers and viewers that the elections down there are being stolen by crooked LibDems. I know it's not a surprise they're doing this, but it is just another example of how blatant they've become, like Hannity leading a Trump rally just hours after saying he wouldn't. They don't even try to hide it anymore.

Church Loses Status As Polling Place Over Controversial Sign

A New Port Richey church has lost its status as a Pasco County polling place due to a controversial sign placed on the property.

https://patch.com/florida/carrollwo...pXXSJBKt7iTghwubp0lKQXsg1fo1b9cgZE3K-R3BmalZ0

WTF did Jesus say about abortions, same-sex marriage, and open borders?

I hadn't really thought about it before this election, but using churches as polling places directly conflicts with separation of church and state. It could explain some late movement to Republicans in elections. People plan to vote Dem and then show up at a church which subconsciously primes them to vote Republican.

I bet that if you told the average evangelical that "Jesus wept" is a verse in the Scripture, they'd call him a whiny liberal pussy.

Fox News has gone all-in on pushing the "LibDems stealing the election!" shit. Their website has the headline "New votes turn up in mystery truck deliveries, spark fraud charges as Fla. election day results in jeopardy". Note the "in jeopardy" line - the results aren't "in jeopardy" unless you're a Republican. Virtually everything they've written thus far about the Florida Senate and Governor's races over the past couple of days has clearly been written in such a way as to convince readers and viewers that the elections down there are being stolen by crooked LibDems. I know it's not a surprise they're doing this, but it is just another example of how blatant they've become, like Hannity leading a Trump rally just hours after saying he wouldn't. They don't even try to hide it anymore.

If you haven't read this article: https://www.salon.com/2014/02/27/i_...eneration_was_captured_by_thrashing_hysteria/ it's worth a read. It's a few years old, but so on the nose it's scary.

The signature stuff is ridiculous. How many people care at all about their signature? People barely write nowadays.

agree that's a lame way to validate a ballot but also what kind of adult doesn't have a consistently repeatable signature?

agree that's a lame way to validate a ballot but also what kind of adult doesn't have a consistently repeatable signature?

The better question is who decides what is "consistently repeatable."

what? do you have trouble creating a nearly-identical signature day to day, year to year?

No. But nobody signs the exact same way every time. It's about some government body arbitrarily deciding one signature doesn't look like another.

No. But nobody signs the exact same way every time. It's about some government body arbitrarily deciding one signature doesn't look like another.

i already agreed it's a dumb, archaic way to validate ballots

but take it up with the banking industry as well

Absentee ballots are far easier to compromise. A mail carrier could decide not to deliver them, take them for himself, throw away ones he/she doesn't like, etc.

The signature stuff is ridiculous. How many people care at all about their signature? People barely write nowadays.
Seems like this should be a non issue as it should break evenly between Dem and Pubs on invalidated ballots, so it’s a wash.

Back