• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elijah Craig and other excellent bourbons

discdude

Lampin in the cut
Reaction score
So I am in Pennsylvania and liquor sales are run by the state. For the longest time they refused to carry Elijah in 750 mL. They now carry it for the standard 21.99. This made me happy and I figured let us discuss other great whiskey, bourbon, rye whiskey deals.

18 year old Elijah at 40 is an absolute steal. It is melt in your mouth good:
images

Sazerac is an excellent rye whiskey:
Sazerac%20Rye.jpg

Let us discuss the glory of fire water

Ah the joys of buying booze in PA.

Here's my recent experience.

Uber economy - Old Crow, Kentucky Gentleman (actually really enjoy these, especially for their price)

The following aren't relatively well priced, but worth a try if haven't yet sampled and you get the chance.

Blantons and Jeffersons are good, but not worth the price IMO, whereas Woodford always is.

For slightly harder to find:

High end - Black Maple Hill
Favorite - Eagle Rare

Eagle Rare is boss especially when it is on sale for 25 and some change

Black Maple Hill, the over $100 version, is damn taste.

Old Pappy Van Winkle ain't bad neither.

For a limited budget, Basil Hayden is delicious.

Basil%20Hayden%5C%27s%20750.jpg

Makers Mark is my tailgate favorite though.

Buffalo Trace has always been my "go to" under $25 bottle of bourbon

BuffaloTrace_1.jpg

Blanton's in the under $50 range:

inechwjju6e1kf3v6v-blanton_s_special_reserve_bourbon_whiskey_6_yrs_vol_40_.jpg

George T. Stagg in the "this guy saved my life so I don't care what I spend" range:

783_2.jpg

Basil Hayden is awesome.

A few friends and I tried Elijah Craig, but weren't too impressed. Others seem to enjoy it, though.

Buffalo Trace and Bulleit are my go-to bourbons for everyday drinks.

The Hudson Small Batches are tasty. I had Van Winkle once, its worth the hype/price.

My favorites at the moment are:

Tuthilltown's Hudson Manhattan rye (their Single Malt Whiskey and Hudson Baby Bourbon are also excellent)

High West's Bourye (I also really like their Rendezvous Rye, which is significantly cheaper)

Redemption Rye (makes a fantastic Manhattan)

I've found that I like all bourbons that start with a B. So I use that as my starting point.

Picked up the Elijah Craig 12 on sale at the NC ABC this month and it's pretty good. I finished up a 5th of Bulleit shortly before that that I enjoyed as well.

It kills me that NC doesn't have a better Rye selection. Usually I can only find Jim Beam, which is stupid considering how many other solid rye's are out there.

My favorite is Green Label Jack Daniels. My budget is Early Times because that's what we drank in college and it has fond memories for me. I stumbled around the brickyard drinking ET straight from a bottle the night we won the 1983 NCAA championship. Good times.

To be honest, if you're going budget, I have found that Beam Black is one of the best, although I do like some George Dickel but warning its really sweet.

So how do yall prefer to drink these? For cheaper, I like em with water or ice, especially the sweeter ones. For nicer ones, neat.

The nicer the bourbon the less rocks you want to go with...

some of you older guys can probably drink neat but I have to have a rock or 2 in my nice bourbon.

For the cheap stuff, fill up the glass with ice, then fill 3/4 with bourbon and maybe a splash of ginger ale, I'm good to go.

Back