• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elizabeth Warren asks why is Obama appointing so many people from Citigroup

So, how would you propose to limit "Wall St's" earnings?

That's not the right question. You're coming at it from the 1% victim perspective.

Ok, then how you do encourage the best and brightest to do something besides Wall St?

Let me pose you a question. What is the purpose of our financial sector?

So do you think the financial sector is allocating capital to itself (as evidenced by its growth) because the financial sector is itself the highest and best use of capital?

And it's interesting that you said "allocate" instead of "facilitates the allocation of."

So do you think the financial sector is allocating capital to itself (as evidenced by its growth) because the financial sector is itself the highest and best use of capital?

This is dumb. There a ton of reasons for the financial sector's growth

Forgot how much I hate this place and why I quit coming.

On a very macro level to name a few:
- Technology
- Population growth
- Emerging markets
- Fall of Communism
- Declining manufacturing
- Energy
- Priv equity, hedge funds, VC
- Securitization

Forgot how much I hate this place and why I quit coming.

On a very macro level to name a few:
- Technology
- Population growth
- Emerging markets
- Fall of Communism
- Declining manufacturing
- Energy
- Priv equity, hedge funds, VC
- Securitization

Two of those are financial services. Three if you count emerging markets which is due to population growth and financial services industry in those populations.

Sorry you hate your views being challenged.

Don't forget high speed trading. Anybody else read Flash Boys?

Yep. Financial services spending money on financial services to boost the profits of financial services.

Two of those are financial services. Three if you count emerging markets which is due to population growth and financial services industry in those populations.

This.

I'm not denying that financial services have expanded. In 1980 PE/hedge funds/VC barely existed. They've obviously grown exponentially in the past 30 years, contributing to a higher % of financial sector GDP.

Do you like Twitter? Facebook? LinkedIn etc etc etc? None of those happen without investor capital. Do you like being able to click and sell a stock? Do you like having a pension fund available to you? Doesn't happen without investor capital.

I'm not denying that financial services have expanded. In 1980 PE/hedge funds/VC barely existed. They've obviously grown exponentially in the past 30 years, contributing to a higher % of financial sector GDP.

Do you like Twitter? Facebook? LinkedIn etc etc etc? None of those happen without investor capital. Do you like being able to click and sell a stock? Do you like having a pension fund available to you? Doesn't happen without investor capital.

Private equity and VC have been around for as long as money. Angel investors weren't invented in 1980. But they have gotten better at what they do and extended their reach, as technology and communications have made that kind of capital formation more efficient. I think some trends in that industry have been a net positive to the economy.

The hedge fund sector has underperformed the S&P for like the past 20 years. There's a few superstars, and if you can't get into their funds, you're getting robbed. It's close to a scam.

But the real problem is all the money being made in the general category that I think of as money manipulation. Guys like the high-speed traders, who are making tons of money off nothing but fancy technology enabling them to place orders a billionth of a second faster than the next guy. Or the geniuses who set up all the fancy financial instruments surrounding the 2008 financial crash. None of that is a net positive to our economy. This does not help Facebook or anybody else get investors. It's all just basically a tax on all investors, and all it does is line the pockets of a few hundred or few thousand .05 percenters without adding value to anything.

^yes, that. Everyone loves venture capital and private investment, that is not the point at all.

^yes, that. Everyone loves venture capital and private investment, that is not the point at all.

Yeah. There were rich guys investing before there was a financial services industry.

Back