• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elon at WF Noon September 21 Fox Sports Net

Our special teams needs to improve too.

The kicker has been really bad this year on having his punts go into the end zone.

And no one has really been that impressive with the return game.

Not a fan of the pseudo coffin corner kickoffs. I guess the point is to set up a tough return or get them to just fair catch it. It’s part of phasing out kickoff returns.

Definitely think Sage is just there to field punts. I wish Walker was back there and/or we were more aggressive trying to block punts.

Not a fan of the pseudo coffin corner kickoffs. I guess the point is to set up a tough return or get them to just fair catch it. It’s part of phasing out kickoff returns.

Definitely think Sage is just there to field punts. I wish Walker was back there and/or we were more aggressive trying to block punts.

I also thought Hinton was doing a good job before his hamstring tightness. When he gets back he has the shiftiness to be a very good punt returner.

Yea with the offense we have I'm cool with not even trying to return punts. Just signal fair catch and then let our offense go to work.

I just wish we would have the returner set up so he can fair catch the 30 yard punts - instead of letting them bounce/roll and turn into 55 yard punts. I swear that happens 2 or 3 times a game. The punt lands at the 38 and we end up starting the drive at the 17 - a big difference in field position.

Our special teams needs to improve too.

The kicker has been really bad this year on having his punts go into the end zone.

And no one has really been that impressive with the return game.

This isn't on Dom. He's been fantastic. Our punt coverage has been brutal.

I just wish we would have the returner set up so he can fair catch the 30 yard punts - instead of letting them bounce/roll and turn into 55 yard punts. I swear that happens 2 or 3 times a game. The punt lands at the 38 and we end up starting the drive at the 17 - a big difference in field position.

Just means that Jamie gets to pad more stats for the Heisman race.

Dom on Tuesday, talking about net punt:

That’s a place where I think statistically I’m struggling a bit. You know, the punt average is great. It’s not all about hitting the big ball, though.
It might look pretty, but you want to have the best field position after each punt, and some of those times, like we saw – I mean, six touchbacks on the year already, that’s a number that’s way too high.
I like to pride myself on how I can directionally punt and hang the ball up high and limit returns and pin them inside the 10.

Yea with the offense we have I'm cool with not even trying to return punts. Just signal fair catch and then let our offense go to work.

Especially after the Tennessee Titans essentially lost the game last night (and my fantasy week) by muffing a punt, 95 seconds into the game. Idiots. That's a tight 13-7 game, without that disaster.

Punt returns: I think shifty, like Willie Idelette or Dortch

Kickoff returns: I think flat out speed; like Kevin Marion or Dortch again, maybe a fast RB like Barclay, Spiller etc. Also, kickoff returns, looks like we are smartly just letting them go: no injuries. Don't put Walker back there and get him injured.

We do not have anyone similar to Idelette, Dortch or Marion on the roster - do we? I like Roberson, Claude, Groulx, Greene, Surratt of course, but none are super shifty or super fast. Surratt in particular, seems to be super strong once he catches the ball.

Walker is the closest we have to a Barclay/Spiller, but there's still an obvious gap there in speed and talent.

As for receivers, general, we are stacked, and I am a fan of our RB, no doubt, but return game a little meh.

Kickers? Only thing I noticed was the WTF decision not to go up 24-0 on UNC and keep destroying them, since Sciba is money.

Especially after the Tennessee Titans essentially lost the game last night (and my fantasy week) by muffing a punt, 95 seconds into the game. Idiots. That's a tight 13-7 game, without that disaster.

Punt returns: I think shifty, like Willie Idelette or Dortch

Kickoff returns: I think flat out speed; like Kevin Marion or Dortch again, maybe a fast RB like Barclay, Spiller etc. Also, kickoff returns, looks like we are smartly just letting them go: no injuries. Don't put Walker back there and get him injured.

We do not have anyone similar to Idelette, Dortch or Marion on the roster - do we? I like Roberson, Claude, Groulx, Greene, Surratt of course, but none are super shifty or super fast. Surratt in particular, seems to be super strong once he catches the ball.

Walker is the closest we have to a Barclay/Spiller, but there's still an obvious gap there in speed and talent.

As for receivers, general, we are stacked, and I am a fan of our RB, no doubt, but return game a little meh.

Kickers? Only thing I noticed was the WTF decision not to go up 24-0 on UNC and keep destroying them, since Sciba is money.

I think this decision would've resulted in a blowout, for I believe UNC would've folded. That stop gave them a little momentum.

100% agree. This is a big game for a lot of guys to get some momentum for ACC play.
Really intrigued to see the following make an impact Saturday so they can be counted on going forward:
- Freudenthal
- Ja’Sir Taylor (we really need him next year, to be as good as the coaches think he is)
- Tyler Williams
- Claude/Roberson (either one)
- Trey Rucker
- Chase Monroe
- Mike Allen
- 7/8/9 on the OL

Would really like to see us use Claude’s speed. How about some fly patterns. If nothing else it should loosen up the defense. Plus, he’s a senior.

Dom is very slow to get the ball off his foot. Seems to often almost have kicks blocked in previous years. This year we will see.

I just realized our first 3 games were against teams with blue uniforms, and we now start a series of 6 games against teams with red uniforms. We end the season with 2/3 games against orange teams. This is a sign of the end times.

Maybe someone in the athletic department is trying to get a job on a fashion show.

Especially after the Tennessee Titans essentially lost the game last night (and my fantasy week) by muffing a punt, 95 seconds into the game. Idiots. That's a tight 13-7 game, without that disaster

But it wasn't a recover for td right? Didn't mustache man have to drive them 35 yards or so for the TD? I watched the 3 and 4 quarter and Titans o line liked like wf o line wolfords first year.

I don’t even think we are trying to return punts. I’m super high on Sage as our #1 wideout for at least this year and next but he’s not super fast or shifty.
I think Hinton is the only guy the staff really lets/wants to return punts. And with him out, we likely won't do it.
Not saying I'm right, it's just my feeling.
We certainly have some guys quick enough to do it, but I suspect the staff is trying to minimize unnecessary injuries.

Last edited:
2 tickets & a Blue Lot parking pass just became available to the first who PM's. Will tape to my office door on Reynolda Rd.

2 tickets & a Blue Lot parking pass just became available to the first who PM's. Will tape to my office door on Reynolda Rd.

They are taped to my office door. 2641 Reynolda Rd. Gone now to Mother So Dear Homecoming events. First Come First Serve.

If anyone is having trouble getting their wives to the game tomorrow, let them know Tyler Cameron will be there in the fan zone before the game.

Back