• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Email from Ron and Jim

Dented

Retired
Reaction score
Just got this. Discuss.

Dear Deacon Club member,

As a loyal supporter of our football program, you deserve to know the reasons for the decisions that have been made over the last couple of weeks about some players on our team. The off-the-field incidents have been embarrassing to all of us and it is important that you understand our approach to matters like this. We want you to know that we do not minimize the seriousness of these matters.

Parents understand that children do make mistakes and sometimes do things that are seemingly self-centered or amazingly thoughtless. We can assure you that we never take a young man into our program without recommendations from coaches, teachers, counselors, and school administrators. Recruiting is certainly not an exact science and we diligently try to bring student-athletes to Wake Forest who will try their best to do what is right both on and off the field.

Coaches are teachers. Everyone in our program takes that role very seriously. A primary goal is to develop our players for life after school and football. The hardest decisions a coach has to make are those that may sacrifice winning a game in order to teach a player that making good decisions and caring for others are more important. Parents are most heartbroken when their children make foolish decisions but coaches run a close second. We are disappointed in the behavior of a few of our players but feel that our team will grow from the experience. Lost in the distractions of a few are the overwhelming number of players who are working hard to be the best each and every day.

We want to assure you that every decision we make in our football program and throughout our Athletic Department is with the future and well-being of Wake Forest and our student-athletes at heart. Winning is VERY important but it will not be pursued at the expense of our integrity. Our players need a reminder sometimes that their commitment to football extends beyond the practice field. We want our players to look back years from now and know that they were more important to us than winning a football game.

Thank you for all your support and loyalty to our program! We look forward to sharing many wonderful moments with you in the future.

Go Deacs!

Jim Grobe Ron Wellman

What a patronizing email. Unnecessary to me. The concern is not about suspending players at the expense of winning, but rather the worry about the issues and number of players being involved being further evidence that we are sliding into a deep hole as JG mails it in. At least for me anyway.

Last edited:
Just got it too. Thought we were going to hear about some coaching changes.

At least you guys get the e-mails. I once tried to sign up for the Deacon Club, and they certainly took my money, but I basically haven't heard from them again. I have no idea if I'm still a member or not.

Was there some kind of major uproar about us not playing the suspended guys? That's what it comes across as.

What a patronizing email. Unnecessary to me. The concern is not about suspending players at the expense of winning, but rater most worry about the isuues and number of players being involved being further evidence that we are sliding into a deep hole as JG mails it in.

This.

Also one would think "reasons" would the actually reasons.

Also why is it that we're just now recruiting players who violate team policy. This is atypical.

The difference in tone used here, versus that employed for the basketball team's recent troubles, is pretty dramatic.

Grobe is doing the right thing. Being a coach and having grown up around coaching my entire life, players will let their coaches down, themselves down, and their parents down from time to time - it happens with young men. I have found very few players who are willing to let their teammates down, however. If I were Jim, my team leaders/captains would be integral in addressing the issue moving forward and that letting teammates down is unacceptable.

I think you guys would kill them if the email said 2+2=4. There are many here ready to jump on Wellman and Co. no matter what they say.

Last edited:
Lots of words saying very little. Also like Ph, I figured "reasons" would indicate that we would learn something more specific.

The attempt to communicate is appreciated. Complete silence is not acceptable. At the same time, with all the privacy regulations in our world who could expect specific information?

What I want to see now is a much improved effort on the field, especially from the coaches!

The attempt to communicate is appreciated. Complete silence is not acceptable. At the same time, with all the privacy regulations in our world who could expect specific information?

What I want to see now is a much improved effort on the field, especially from the coaches!

An email rallying the fans for the second half of the season would have made more sense.

LEGALIZE IT. DONT CRITICIZE IT.
DOCTORS SMOKE IT
. JUDGES SMOKE IT. EVEN THE LAWYERS TOO.

Was there some kind of major uproar about us not playing the suspended guys? That's what it comes across as.

That was my question as well. It makes it seem like a lot of people were pissed at them being suspended? The real issue is why there's a REASON to get suspended, not that they were suspended. That was the right choice.

The difference in tone used here, versus that employed for the basketball team's recent troubles, is pretty dramatic.

agreed.

this email would not have gone out prior to the "culture war" that wellman and bzz have been pretending to fight once the elephant in the room became obvious. wellman thinks that by sending this email it the fans say "see wf really is concerned about having the right culture at wake with the right kids etc." it also (inadvertently?) places the blame for this season back on the kids that already made a dumb mistake. is it me or did grobe seem to shoulder more of the blame earlier in his wake career? not that i am saying he is all about blaming the kids. i don't think he really does that. wellman on the other hand sure seems to use that tactic when it fits. dino was the problem for those late season collapses but the players are the problem for bzz.

Back